SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 17, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #9,542 of 15,825
You gotta get yourself an MDR with m2 Walkman :), such amazing combination
Care to print some USD for me? Or Japanese yen?

On a more serious matter, I think many people still need time to get used to this spatial audio. Perhaps it’s not working well for some people due to incompatibility with the HRTF sound modelling. But that being said, the sound improvements by Sony is tremendous. I just cannot think of what Sony is going to do after this ZX707 launch, hopefully they focus their energy on their desktop audio and audiophile iem/headphone products. I think it’s time for Sony Engineers to make the successors to Z1R and M7/M9.

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #9,543 of 15,825
Even the bluetooth output sounds so much engaging with firmware 1.04. Initially i thought the bluetooth modules have finally well burn-in, lol.

Maybe Sony saw my post of someone who own their signature series still looking out for a open-backed headphone. Ok, i dun need one now. Thank you Sony.

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #9,545 of 15,825
Well my wm1am2 has just been delivered. Feel like a kid at Christmas again.
I love mine my only gripe is that even with the optimization it could be a little bit faster and more responsive but the battery life is so good I can't really complain much. a little patience goes a long way.

perhaps by the time the M3 is announced they'll have that figured out.

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #9,546 of 15,825
I love mine my only gripe is that even with the optimization it could be a little bit faster and more responsive but the battery life is so good I can't really complain much. a little patience goes a long way.

Just working through all those optimisations now. It's just doing a firmware update at the moment. Resisting the urge to start playing with it.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #9,547 of 15,825
At present, it has not been formatted yet. It's all overlay updates. I really want to format it, but I can't find the location to back up the playlist.

Attachments

• E07498F3-CEF7-4178-B026-6A3082198DA2.jpeg
    E07498F3-CEF7-4178-B026-6A3082198DA2.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 17, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #9,548 of 15,825
It can be a little bit more responsive in the Walkman App UI if you factory reset after updating to 1.04.01 and re-optimise but you will lose that precious audio playback timer if that matters to you.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #9,550 of 15,825

i bet m3 will still be the same cpu .. lol ..

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #9,551 of 15,825
Which headphone out of Z7 or Z7M2 has better synergy with the AM2?

I use Hifiman Sundaras with my ZX300 and it sounds brilliant but they're completely an indoor headphone so I'm wanting something I can use outdoors. There's no way I can afford an ier-m9 or the ie Z1R version.

I have XM4s but they don't sound great in general so I barely ever use them. Initially bought them for plane journeys but they don't really do a good job of removing plane noises.

I have Moondrop Starfields which are absolutely incredible for the price but the Sundaras (at 5x the price) murders them.

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #9,553 of 15,825
As Sony engineers will tell you in their future engineer interview article of M3, the cpu is selected on the basis of sound quality and low power consumption.
They would say that though. How do we know it's not so they can save money on the CPU they use? They are a business and the bottom line is the only line they care about.

I'm guessing it's going to be impossible to say if different CPUs affect the sound despite there being more cores or higher clock speeds. You can have rationalisations that it might affect SQ but you wouldn't really know for sure unless you did some testing.

I'm not convinced it's not just a cost saving measure in all honesty.

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #9,554 of 15,825
Hello Everyone!

Does Dolby Atmos work on the NW-WM1AM2? Having a ZX500 it was kind of disappointing that most of my Atmos albums on apple music only played through the stereo mix. Would appreciate a confirmation,

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #9,555 of 15,825
They would say that though. How do we know it's not so they can save money on the CPU they use? They are a business and the bottom line is the only line they care about.

I'm guessing it's going to be impossible to say if different CPUs affect the sound despite there being more cores or higher clock speeds. You can have rationalisations that it might affect SQ but you wouldn't really know for sure unless you did some testing.

I'm not convinced it's not just a cost saving measure in all honesty.
Yes, I am sure Sony looked to save a few bucks on their golden brick flagship DAP by deliberately choosing a cheaper CPU and not really caring about audio quality. Everything about the build and price of this unit (and the 1AM2) suggests that Sony primarily cares about the bottom line over the short term. Long-term and reputation be damned, I hear those engineers saying. They also know that the market for these gold bars is made up of fools who cannot tell the difference between $10 earbuds and the Sennheiser HE-1, so why not sneak it by them, they'll never know.

That all sounds logical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back