SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 14, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #9,391 of 15,986
I'm very very confused. There has to be a ground in that system or else you would have all sorts of issues no?

My understanding was that the pcb for the pentacon had an electrically isolated ground in the female end.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #9,392 of 15,986
I'm very very confused. There has to be a ground in that system or else you would have all sorts of issues no?
The case is - is my understanding. But not the 4.4 port so this extends it to the beginning of the cable - unless you also get a grounded/shielded cable

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #9,393 of 15,986
Jan 14, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #9,394 of 15,986
Hmm shielding is a separate issue and I'll be honest I don't think it applies for portable electronics as the cabling length is too short.

I would need to see the circuit layout but there 4.4 Jack has to be grounded or else it would not work or be wildly erratic. The female connector in the pentacon system has a ground pin. I think what you are saying is that it's not connected to the same device ground as the 3.5 is.

Is that correct?

Without knowing the intricacies of the circuit layout what I'm about to say is a more general statement. However in many other electrical systems a common ground does not actually improve the signal and oftentimes can introduce more noise. I personally would defer to the Sony engineers but if prior have tested it and had it work then hey!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #9,395 of 15,986
Hmm shielding is a separate issue and I'll be honest I don't think it applies for portable electronics as the cabling length is too short.

I would need to see the circuit layout but there 4.4 Jack has to be grounded or else it would not work or be wildly erratic. The female connector in the pentacon system has a ground pin. I think what you are saying is that it's not connected to the same device ground as the 3.5 is.

Is that correct?

Without knowing the intricacies of the circuit layout what I'm about to say is a more general statement. However in many other electrical systems a common ground does not actually improve the signal and oftentimes can introduce more noise. I personally would defer to the Sony engineers.
Search the thread as there’s some pictures/tear downs and more explanations. There’s others here that’s way better at this and can explain it better than me. I get what you’re saying though, but I figured for $159 I could try it. If it was $1,500 I’d spend 10 hours researching this.

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #9,396 of 15,986
@Whitigir has explained previously why he thinks grounding for 4.4mm is unnecessary but do note he also said it’s your player, your choice on what you want to do with it.
To many people who asked me this before. Since the time I got my modern Walkman Zx2 until this very date, and over so many experiences toward different systems, including modifications…etc. this question got popped now and then. Walkman appears to have some unique performances to it ? How is it so ?

I couldn’t find the detailed explanations for so long. But these uniqueness existed and I typically called it to be S-Master uniqueness. It only happened with S-Master, and especially with Walkman. Even the TAZH1ES have such traits, but not as much as Walkman. This is due to the implementations of these systems in specific architectures.

One of the essential reasons is the way the signals are being conducted, coupled from one stage to another. This is also why Sony is featuring a DSP called “DC Phase linearizer”. If you have a TAZ, you can clearly conduct the observations that when turned on, TAZ doesn’t have the bass being effected as much as Walkman. The lower-bass a den lower mid-bass appear to shift a bit from it images within the soundstage.

Then there is even more to these uniqueness, such as that Walkman has a super spherical soundstage, where everything just float around your head. The 1Z has it even more than the 1A for example.

All of these are something to do with “Signal Integrity”! Basically, an idealistic amplifier is a wire with gain, and nothing in between.

These following pictures will show case these essentials components in designs that captures the technicalities of it.

Amplification from a typical analog amplifier (all class). Class D also has the issues and Sony deem it being an “issues”, and Sony had designed the Walkman to overcome it, where even the TAZ also fall to the similar issues. This is showing class A blocks for example. Please look at C-out (red) and C-e (green). The red is right in the output signal path. We know them as “Coupling capacitor”. The C-e is Decoupling capacitor. These guys are what causing a phase shift issues

07004285-810E-4AEB-8556-3563CD831F93.jpeg

It doesn’t only stop there. Take a look at C-in (red), yet another Coupling capacitors right in the signal paths. These guys are “essentials”, and why changing them, swapping them, resulting in a so called “subjective upgrades”, and that is to put it politely as we all hear differently. So they are subjective. However, technically speaking, different capacitors have different parameters. Some of the most important factors is “precision tolerances, leakage current, dissipation factors, tangent of losses”. They directly effecting the proportionality of phase to voltage and current handling of a capacitor. Put in a simpler term that capacitor Do not conduct electricity directly. They only charge up and discharging away. There are some degradation between charge/discharge stages. Therefore, each of the capacitors carry with them the “special house sound”. Tweaking and tuning, placement of these capacitors are called “Analog tuning” and they are “No secret” to Sony.

In Walkman, There is Zero Audio Signal Paths Coupling capacitors
988EB364-5BB5-4E30-B929-DC3B3C7DB0A5.jpeg

Because we grew accustomed to the typical amplifications. These “issues” are not an actual “issues”. Once again, being a subjective matter, Sony studied it up and composed an algorithms to allow this to shine through as a feature that is called “DC Phase Linearizer”. The Type differences are a results of several differences from most audiophile capacitors that were studied by Sony. These effects are measurable.

Now, with that out of the way, let’s dive into Walkman. I will not talk about TAZ here. It is worth mentioning that I studied up TAZ, and can confidentially say that, S-Master conduct a straight through signals in square wave forms directly to amplifier inputs. Hence omitting the issue of Coupled capacitor input as mentioned above.

Walkman has this very essential path, a straight through direct path from S-Master output into the amplification input stages. You can see the highlighted path from S-Master straight into the Coils
6FDAEAB6-2F03-4E45-B010-46EC8A5E8186.jpeg

Then next up is the output stages. Let’s talk about balanced out connection. The output is implemented in a full H-Bridge configurations. In this configuration, the push and pull actions between them do cancel out the errors differences that is presenting as “DC-offset”. This issues plagued the typical amplifier output and not Walkman as stated. Therefore, no Coupling capacitors are needed. The decoupling capacitors itself is always presenting in any implementations and as far as technical aspects are concerned in amplifications, only beneficials and not hindering any “negativities” in the sound-path or signal-path
2D4FA491-ECF9-4305-8C6A-6600CCEDAEB4.jpeg

Do pay attentions that cap 1 and 2 are in parallel between output +/- of the load (headphones) and hence the 3 can be omitted also. However, omitting both 1 and 2 but keeping 3 is not ideal. It would cause further “errors” as current paths between components are now out of symmetry. The 2 grounds are not the same (noted Ground ! And noted why no ground is connected to balance out socket). It isn’t needed and better left so.

Also Noted is the Symmetry placements of components by Walkman and Sony clearly as shown here
D0BDA4D5-65DF-4FCB-B04B-78C49B9C1438.jpeg

In the end, you can see that with Direct digital in Walkman, Sony has completely approaching the idealistic amplifications of “Wire with gains”. Because there is “Zero coupling capacitors” that can pose the DC-issues that plagues the typical amplifications that we have grown accustomed to. But don’t worry, there is a DSP featured, and people may say “oh it isn’t Bit-perfect”

Bit perfect ? What ? Only on paper. The moment you started to manipulate the nature of something, you have already altered it existence in nature. Therefore, I kept saying “there is no such thing as bit-perfect”, the term can be used loosely only. In that sense, Sony already introduced Walkman App with Direct Sources that preserve the binary information as much as possible from within the OS (operation system), bypassing the SRC (Sampling rate converters), and directly into digital processing of pulses generators engines.

It wouldn’t matter how much DSP you are using here, you are not going to have such issues from the typical amplifiers.

From all of those explained, we have Walkman and S-Master uniqueness.

Enjoy your Walkman :)

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #9,397 of 15,986
All of these are something to do with “Signal Integrity”! Basically, an idealistic amplifier is a wire with gain, and nothing in between.

Sony's Digital Direct 1 bit Class D Balanced amplification section seems to follow the above design principle pretty closely. Not much(if any) additional feedback loops or grounding, almost like a pure wire with gain.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #9,398 of 15,986
Also do note that Sony engineers have mentioned that they have intentionally used LCD Displays over OLED displays for their walkmans, the reason is because OLED's power consumption fluctuates greatly and this can affect sound quality.

Sato (Morning): That's right. It is also for the same reason that the display of "NW-ZX707" uses a liquid crystal (LCD) instead of the popular organic EL (OLED). Organic EL exhibits high contrast and reduces power consumption by stopping light emission when displaying black, but on the contrary, power consumption increases when displaying white. Therefore, there is a characteristic that power consumption fluctuates greatly depending on the content displayed. Therefore, in the "NW-ZX707", we intentionally installed a liquid crystal display from the viewpoint of sound quality.
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/zx700/

My point being that there could be more unexplained things which Sony Engineers have intentionally done for sound quality. I would speculate that they might have also intentionally omitted grounding for 4.4mm for reasons of sound quality and not because they forgotten to do so. But your guess is as good as mine when it comes to what they choose to tell us or not.

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #9,400 of 15,986
It's been 5 months of listening to my AM2, and I absolutely love it. I've been primarily listening on Direct, with hi-res upsampling off and DSD slow roll-off.

I've given myself a challenge to try 100 hours of DSD remastering on with sharp roll-off. I had to mentally prepare for only 8 hours per charge, as I enjoyed going all weekend without changing on direct (20-30 hours).

I didn't take into account battery care and charging at 20% really only leaves me almost 5 hours per charge. And the device gets really really warm (even after listening outside in -15°C). I wonder if larger files play a roll, most of mine are 1411kbps. This put a lot of added stress on the battery if I listen all weekend with two or three charges without much downtime.

But it sounds really good. It's a lot for me to take in. I'm at 15 hours and it sounds better and better. I did reduce my volume a bit after the firmware update. I'm trying to finish 100 hours before comparing to Direct again. But I think DSD sound perhaps deeper but not as wide. In my head I call it mega-bass.

I imagine I'll go back to direct, if I even finish 100 hours (about a month for me). But maybe I won't be able to. I absolutely love this device.

Thanks for letting me share :)

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #9,401 of 15,986
audiophilia-nervosa-homeless.gif

https://hifi-opinions.com/en/audiophilia-nervosa-2/

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #9,402 of 15,986
It's been 5 months of listening to my AM2, and I absolutely love it. I've been primarily listening on Direct, with hi-res upsampling off and DSD slow roll-off.

I've given myself a challenge to try 100 hours of DSD remastering on with sharp roll-off. I had to mentally prepare for only 8 hours per charge, as I enjoyed going all weekend without changing on direct (20-30 hours).

I didn't take into account battery care and charging at 20% really only leaves me almost 5 hours per charge. And the device gets really really warm (even after listening outside in -15°C). I wonder if larger files play a roll, most of mine are 1411kbps. This put a lot of added stress on the battery if I listen all weekend with two or three charges without much downtime.

But it sounds really good. It's a lot for me to take in. I'm at 15 hours and it sounds better and better. I did reduce my volume a bit after the firmware update. I'm trying to finish 100 hours before comparing to Direct again. But I think DSD sound perhaps deeper but not as wide. In my head I call it mega-bass.

I imagine I'll go back to direct, if I even finish 100 hours (about a month for me). But maybe I won't be able to. I absolutely love this device.

Thanks for letting me share :)
As per stated in the Manuals, the Walkman is designed to operate between 5C to 35C. So as long as you are within this temperature range, there should be no issues.

https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1m2/v1/en/contents/TP1000521633.html

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #9,403 of 15,986
Also do note that Sony engineers have mentioned that they have intentionally used LCD Displays over OLED displays for their walkmans, the reason is because OLED's power consumption fluctuates greatly and this can affect sound quality.

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/zx700/

My point being that there could be more unexplained things which Sony Engineers have intentionally done for sound quality. I would speculate that they might have also intentionally omitted grounding for 4.4mm for reasons of sound quality and not because they forgotten to do so. But your guess is as good as mine when it comes to what they choose to tell us or not.
There were static pops when plugging and unplugging headphones into the dd grounding adapter, when I tried it once at an audio store, which are not present when plugging/unplugging directly into the Walkman. I'm not an expert, but that alone discouraged me from looking again at that accessory.

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #9,404 of 15,986
There were static pops when plugging and unplugging headphones into the dd grounding adapter, when I tried it once at an audio store, which are not present when plugging/unplugging directly into the Walkman. I'm not an expert, but that alone discouraged me from looking again at that accessory.
Of course it happens, because that was one of the reasons why Sony didn’t go for ground connections on balanced output. Also by nature of the amplifier design

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #9,405 of 15,986

Been there done that.
It got so bad I had 14 levels of Mana sound frame under each component .

I’m better now as I only have apple Air pods Pro2 from iPhone.
Chord Mojo 2 from iPhone.
Fed up with PC so a proper streamer.
No Android daps as fed up with the constant updates and problems on all of them.
Down to only two turntables and only two cartridges.
Had 5 turntables and 14 cartridges at one time.

Home system is a streamer a TT2 power amp and one pair of speakers.

I’m completely happy and enjoy all my music again.

You can tune and tune your systems until they sound fantastic but this will only be on about 5 albums.
The rest will sound sub par.

Simple is best in my view.
This is just my opinion of going up the Hifi chain and thankfully back down again.

Still have the problem of 8 pairs of headphones and god knows how many iems.🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back