SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 28, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #6,436 of 15,612
Took a calculated risk last night and ordered my NW-WM1AM2 on Amazon-de. Thus the EU version.
Various reviews indicated to me that the device is still excellent with low impedance IEM like my Sennheiser IE300.
Expected delivery 2-3 weeks. The risk of grey import via eBay Japan was too risky for me and also more expensive when you add VAT, customs and duties.
And on Amazon you can return within 30 days, no questions asked.
Let’s see.

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #6,437 of 15,612
Took a calculated risk last night and ordered my NW-WM1AM2 on Amazon-de. Thus the EU version.
Various reviews indicated to me that the device is still excellent with low impedance IEM like my Sennheiser IE300.
Expected delivery 2-3 weeks. The risk of grey import via eBay Japan was too risky for me and also more expensive when you add VAT, customs and duties.
Let’s see.
if you care about volume power i would advise you to press through sony support email to mention that you are upset with the volume limitation on such an expensive device. So I did, we must spread the word to listen to all users upset by this stupid law. It is limited by the wired output and yet by bluetooth you can go deaf if you want... let's see who understands it... users want a firmware update now!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #6,438 of 15,612
Sincerely wish you good luck with the EU model. With low impedance IEMs it might work for you.

However, I would be rather upset being limited in using higher impedance phones on a DAP I spent so much money on.
Based on experience with my SONY DAPs I can only say:
1) I changed the country code immediately after purchase of my only one DAP bought within the EU (NW-ZX300) in order to have all features (like e.g. High Gain and Remote Control) available if needed.
2) I have listened so far with Beyerdynamics T51i (32 Ohm) and thus on SE 3,5 mm jack. From the beginning Direct Source on and Low Gain. Volumes between 50 to 60. File formats mostly FLAC 16 bit/44,1 kHz with a couple of WAV 24 bit/192 kHz.
3) I have burnt in closely to 200 hours and was quite satisfied with this combo UNTIL I threw Led Zep's "The Song Remains The Same" (2CD 2007 complete release) on the microSD Card.
With songs like "Moby Dick" and "Stairway To Heaven" I realised how lifeless, bloodless they unfortunately sound on this combo with the current settings.
4) This made me to tick the High Gain option for SE output on all of my SONY DAPs that enable it (i.e. except for NW-A55). Since that time I am fully satisfied with the sound. It is livelier, with fuller bass. I wonder if and how it changes with IER-Z1R incoming next week.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #6,440 of 15,612
if you care about volume power i would advise you to press through sony support email to mention that you are upset with the volume limitation on such an expensive device. So I did, we must spread the word to listen to all users upset by this stupid law. It is limited by the wired output and yet by bluetooth you can go deaf if you want... let's see who understands it... users want a firmware update now!
You do appreciate this Sony volume limiting on EU Android DAPs has been going on since the ZX1 and they haven't done anything yet.

My Amazon UK one returned seeing as pathetic and my Amazon Japan one perfect.

Sep 28, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #6,441 of 15,612
Can only get them at stupid prices on ebay now I think, not been made by Sony for a while.
Exactly, that’s why I searched and found an alternative.
Today, my Satechi BT Media Button arrived from Amazon-de.
Also available outside Europe:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM75NL0/
Just tested it on my Android 11 smartphone with Tidal, UAPP and Radio.net apps. Works great 👍
So if the Satechi Media Button works on my Android 11 smartphone, it will definitely work on my Sony NW-WM1AM2 using Tidal or UAPP.
However, not sure about built-in Sony Music Player. I’ll find out in three weeks😉

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #6,442 of 15,612
guys i need some advice
i have the "WM1ZM2" and with the "IER-Z1R" the synergie is amazing, i also want to take the "MDR-Z1R" blind or should i wait because i don't if sony gonna replace it by something like "MDR-Z1RM2 PRO MAX" or whatever they'll call it

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #6,443 of 15,612
Let’s see.
I guess it should work for you.

I normally use MMR Balmung (13 ohm) in a silly place which nearly everyone around me are having zoom meeting / phone call all the day. I only need lv 25 (low gain) such that I would not hear any one talking but only the music I want (I am using a JAP version 1MA though). According to the fellows here you may need to add around 20 for a EU version. so it would be around 45 which is way under the max (although you may need to set to further higher for the 3.5 out).

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #6,444 of 15,612
guys i need some advice
i have the "WM1ZM2" and with the "IER-Z1R" the synergie is amazing, i also want to take the "MDR-Z1R" blind or should i wait because i don't if sony gonna replace it by something like "MDR-Z1RM2 PRO MAX" or whatever they'll call it
I wonder how those compare to the IE900. I took the plunge last night and bought a WM1ZM2 off of ebay (in Japan). HOping it all works ok.

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #6,446 of 15,612
has anyone compared Sennheiser IE900 to the Sony IER-Z1R? I really liked the IER-Z1R but the fit is not ideal for me for long listen sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back