SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 2, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #3,556 of 15,612
So I have a few hours of usage with my WM1AM2 and here are additional thoughts on them:

1. The audio jacks feel more snug. Unlike the original WM1A, there is not even a bit of play in either jack (with my then-WM1A, i noticed that there's a bit of "scratchiness" in the playback when i try to wiggle the plug in the jack, something that is not present in the WM1AM2).
  2. While I welcome the additional usability of having Android in the WM1AM2, the UI isn't as smooth as the one in the older WM1A. Sometimes, the UI stutters (for a microsecond) when I switch between screens. Also, I don't understand why the entire Google software suit had to be installed in the unit (Google Play is okay, but Gmail? Google Maps? Calendars?); i just disabled them since I can't seem to uninstall them.
  3. I am just amazed with the additional detail retrieval and dynamic range that the WM1AM2 offers over the WM1A. I don't recall tapping my feet when I still had the WM1A; yes, it was a capable DAP in its own right but it wasn't something that will amaze you at first listen (it was an acquired taste that takes time to fully appreciate). That's why when I first saw the leaked spec sheet months ago, I wasn't excited at all; it's as if they just made the screen larger but didn't make any changes in the internals (at least on paper). All that changed when I listened to my unit after unboxing at the shop yesterday; and the more I listen to the WM1AM2, the more i feel my decision to take the plunge (despite the rather steep price hike) is justified.
  4. As with the older DAP platform, I look forward to MrWalkman's software wizardry in fully unleashing the potential of the WM1AM2/WM1ZM2!

May 2, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #3,557 of 15,612
So I have a few hours of usage with my WM1AM2 and here are additional thoughts on them:

1. The audio jacks feel more snug. Unlike the original WM1A, there is not even a bit of play in either jack (with my then-WM1A, i noticed that there's a bit of "scratchiness" in the playback when i try to wiggle the plug in the jack, something that is not present in the WM1AM2).
Nice, that was one aspect that was annoying with the M1 units (both A and Z).

Has anyone tried listening to their M2s with alternative music apps like: Poweramp and Neutron? Have been playing around with them on my phone in anticipation. Thouroughly impressed with the amount of customization and DSPs available.

May 2, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #3,559 of 15,612
From my memory of what I heard of the store demo unit WM1ZM2 versus my current fully burnt in WM1AM2

I consider the level of sound quality of my WM1AM2 with the Swissbit industrial microSD to be well ahead of what I have heard on the store demo unit WM1ZM2 with my own SanDisk Extreme Pro MicroSD. Though I have yet to hear the swissbit card in the WM1ZM2.

In my opinion with the price differences in factor. One will be better off buying the WM1AM2 and use money left over to upgrade to better cabling for their headphones/iem and on industrial microSD cards.

Not sure if @Whitigir has introduced his Micron 1TB microSD card to you but I guess that’s a very controversial topic that you may or may not wish to write a review/article on as in the subjective differences in the sound of microSD cards, especially since you have access to many other DAPs and can do a more broader comparisons.
i am really sure that even many "enthusiasts" who own many daps and iems etc., will not join this microsd party discussion. i appreciate all of your posts, really. from all of you guys. you have a lot of experience and a lot of a / b tests done. however, i feel that the microsd issue is the niche from the niche from the other niche :)

May 2, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #3,560 of 15,612
i am really sure that even many "enthusiasts" who own many daps and iems etc., will not join this microsd party discussion. i appreciate all of your posts, really. from all of you guys. you have a lot of experience and a lot of a / b tests done. however, i feel that the microsd issue is the niche from the niche from the other niche :)
I am only sharing what I have experienced. If you find my post not part of what you want to read, please just ignore that part and read the other parts.

May 2, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #3,561 of 15,612
I just scroll over it. Thead does seem to have gone more about sd cards and electronic theory rather than how great the 1AM2 and 1ZM2 sounds and its usability.

Its often like this when a new Sony comes out for some owners 🙂

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #3,562 of 15,612
I just scroll over it. Thead does seem to have gone more about sd cards and electronic theory rather than how great the 1AM2 and 1ZM2 sounds and its usability.

Oh well, you can blame that on the scarcity of the quantities of M2 available atm 😂. Then pandemic restrict a lot of people going to store to do comparison

At least the thread gets refreshed faster and staying up top 🤩

May 2, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #3,563 of 15,612
Oh well, you can blame that on the scarcity of the quantities of M2 available atm 😂. Then pandemic restrict a lot of people going to store to do comparison

At least the thread gets refreshed faster and staying up top 🤩
That be true... Stock of the M2s are tough to come by. Most, if not all, of available stock has been sucked up by pre-orders. :)

May 2, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #3,564 of 15,612

Here's an unboxing video for you:

May 2, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #3,566 of 15,612
https://inf.news/zh-hant/digital/5486aec6f56235bf414953c55c54a5e7.html

Go to the audition and briefly talk about Sony BRIC II and Black Brick II​

2022-05-02 18:20 HKT

Originally, I needed to make an appointment. I just swiped my face and listened to it directly. After listening for an hour, I can say that the progress has been huge or there is no progress. This time, I brought my own Sony just ear customization to directly ab. The hesitation is that the engineering machine is not the official version and only represents the current sound.

Before talking about the voice, let’s talk a little about what everyone wants to know the most. The Golden Black Brick 2 has not yet been released in China. The official conference in China will be on February 28 (I have already received an invitation, and I will be there when I arrive. Specifically ask about hardcore things), the official pre-sale is in mid-March, and the official global release is in April. Basically, it can be said that the release time of the Japanese version and the Hong Kong version of China is similar to that of China. Basically, it can be said that The domestic price will not be higher than that in Hong Kong (it is expected to be lower than 2.6w, which is subject to the sale).

The lack of progress I just said is the thrust. There is really no improvement at all. The first generation of gold and black bricks can't push the second generation. Don't think about it when you buy it. The screen is much better than the first generation, at least there is no obvious light leakage. Yes, there is no lag in operation, but it is slow. To be honest, I am used to the m17, m9, and dx300 players that use Qualcomm 660 and 665. I feel very disappointed, and the cpu is a bit poor.
As an Android brick, I feel that the background is even darker, but the dynamic changes are relatively small (this one basically can't beat the national brick), and the image has been improved to a certain extent. I think the overall style has changed relatively little, I think The big improvement is transient, and the biggest is that the edges are very clean, and burrs are hardly heard. Whether it is the second generation of black bricks or the first generation of gold bricks, the gap between the second generation of gold bricks and the second generation of gold bricks is super huge.

Although the overall weight has become heavier, it may be that the overall area has become larger. On the contrary, I feel that the second generation is not as heavy as the first generation, and the weight of the first generation is particularly concentrated, but it feels very heavy.

I think the prominent design of the gold and black bricks is unnecessary, just like the small buttocks of the zx1 and 2 in the past, it can be used to add a larger battery.

I think the prominent design of the gold and black bricks is unnecessary, just like the small buttocks of the zx1 and 2 in the past, it can be used to add a larger battery. The second generation of Black Bricks personally thinks that the change is mainly in the sound field. The low frequency is more cohesive, but the high frequency is not as good as the extension of the second generation of Golden Bricks, and it is not so dark. The difference between the 2 generations, I said at the beginning that the improvement is very large, and it can be said that there is basically no improvement. Except that the thrust is not improved, most of the improvements are details, the general style or the pulling force, which is a very obvious change. The second generation The machine hasn't changed much.

May 2, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #3,567 of 15,612
Most clearest photo of the pcb board yet:
e3121812-046b-4efe-bf65-b022cb0ed054.jpg

0acfe259-79bb-4f21-aa4e-15fad973ed1b.jpg

https://www.cool3c.com/article/175122

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #3,568 of 15,612

It's been the same for many other Daps I've been interested in, loads of talk on tips, cables, cases, cards which are all relevant to some degree but there's often very little about how something actually sounds especially compared to other gear/previous models. It doesn't help that availability of the new players is very sparse since release.

May 2, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #3,569 of 15,612

2022-05-02 18:20 HKT Originally, I needed to make an appointment. I just swiped my face and listened to it directly. After listening for an hour, I can say that the progress has been huge or there is no progress. This time, I brought my own Sony just ear customization to directly ab. The hesitation is that the engineering machine is not the official version and only represents the current sound. Before talking about the voice, let’s talk a little about what everyone wants to know the most. The Golden Black Brick 2 has not yet been released in China. The official conference in China will be on February 28 (I have already received an invitation, and I will be there when I arrive. Specifically ask about hardcore things), the official pre-sale is in mid-March, and the official global release is in April. Basically, it can be said that the release time of the Japanese version and the Hong Kong version of China is similar to that of China. Basically, it can be said that The domestic price will not be higher than that in Hong Kong (it is expected to be lower than 2.6w, which is subject to the sale). The lack of progress I just said is the thrust. There is really no improvement at all. The first generation of gold and black bricks can't push the second generation. Don't think about it when you buy it. The screen is much better than the first generation, at least there is no obvious light leakage. Yes, there is no lag in operation, but it is slow. To be honest, I am used to the m17, m9, and dx300 players that use Qualcomm 660 and 665. I feel very disappointed, and the cpu is a bit poor. As an Android brick, I feel that the background is even darker, but the dynamic changes are relatively small (this one basically can't beat the national brick), and the image has been improved to a certain extent. I think the overall style has changed relatively little, I think The big improvement is transient, and the biggest is that the edges are very clean, and burrs are hardly heard. Whether it is the second generation of black bricks or the first generation of gold bricks, the gap between the second generation of gold bricks and the second generation of gold bricks is super huge. Although the overall weight has become heavier, it may be that the overall area has become larger. On the contrary, I feel that the second generation is not as heavy as the first generation, and the weight of the first generation is particularly concentrated, but it feels very heavy. I think the prominent design of the gold and black bricks is unnecessary, just like the small buttocks of the zx1 and 2 in the past, it can be used to add a larger battery. I think the prominent design of the gold and black bricks is unnecessary, just like the small buttocks of the zx1 and 2 in the past, it can be used to add a larger battery. The second generation of Black Bricks personally thinks that the change is mainly in the sound field. The low frequency is more cohesive, but the high frequency is not as good as the extension of the second generation of Golden Bricks, and it is not so dark. The difference between the 2 generations, I said at the beginning that the improvement is very large, and it can be said that there is basically no improvement. Except that the thrust is not improved, most of the improvements are details, the general style or the pulling force, which is a very obvious change. The second generation The machine hasn't changed much.

2022-05-02 18:20 HKT Originally, I needed to make an appointment. I just swiped my face and listened to it directly. After listening for an hour, I can say that the progress has been huge or there is no progress. This time, I brought my own Sony just ear customization to directly ab. The hesitation is that the engineering machine is not the official version and only represents the current sound. Before talking about the voice, let’s talk a little about what everyone wants to know the most. The Golden Black Brick 2 has not yet been released in China. The official conference in China will be on February 28 (I have already received an invitation, and I will be there when I arrive. Specifically ask about hardcore things), the official pre-sale is in mid-March, and the official global release is in April. Basically, it can be said that the release time of the Japanese version and the Hong Kong version of China is similar to that of China. Basically, it can be said that The domestic price will not be higher than that in Hong Kong (it is expected to be lower than 2.6w, which is subject to the sale). The lack of progress I just said is the thrust. There is really no improvement at all. The first generation of gold and black bricks can't push the second generation. Don't think about it when you buy it. The screen is much better than the first generation, at least there is no obvious light leakage. Yes, there is no lag in operation, but it is slow. To be honest, I am used to the m17, m9, and dx300 players that use Qualcomm 660 and 665. I feel very disappointed, and the cpu is a bit poor. As an Android brick, I feel that the background is even darker, but the dynamic changes are relatively small (this one basically can't beat the national brick), and the image has been improved to a certain extent. I think the overall style has changed relatively little, I think The big improvement is transient, and the biggest is that the edges are very clean, and burrs are hardly heard. Whether it is the second generation of black bricks or the first generation of gold bricks, the gap between the second generation of gold bricks and the second generation of gold bricks is super huge. Although the overall weight has become heavier, it may be that the overall area has become larger. On the contrary, I feel that the second generation is not as heavy as the first generation, and the weight of the first generation is particularly concentrated, but it feels very heavy. I think the prominent design of the gold and black bricks is unnecessary, just like the small buttocks of the zx1 and 2 in the past, it can be used to add a larger battery. I think the prominent design of the gold and black bricks is unnecessary, just like the small buttocks of the zx1 and 2 in the past, it can be used to add a larger battery. The second generation of Black Bricks personally thinks that the change is mainly in the sound field. The low frequency is more cohesive, but the high frequency is not as good as the extension of the second generation of Golden Bricks, and it is not so dark. The difference between the 2 generations, I said at the beginning that the improvement is very large, and it can be said that there is basically no improvement. Except that the thrust is not improved, most of the improvements are details, the general style or the pulling force, which is a very obvious change. The second generation The machine hasn't changed much.

May 2, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #3,570 of 15,612
After reading twice I still can't work out if the M2 top the M2s. Perils of translator...😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back