SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 30, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #1,531 of 15,596
I figured a way to tell if Neutron is playing in bit perfect mode.

In settings > sound > media volume > set this slider all the way to the left/muted.

This will cause any app that uses the android app path to have no sound at all.

If your neutron is in bit perfect mode, the slider does not affect its sound at all.

This also is valid for USB Audio Player Pro if it’s correctly playing in bit perfect.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #1,533 of 15,596
At first I wondered why they all have their panties in a knot. Then it dawned on me, this IS the exact thing they hate. Even if they never heard it......they hate it!

3264DD3C-0D85-481D-8EB7-301CCC074F19.png

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #1,534 of 15,596
0B68EDD1-8FF6-4CB2-9E92-03A303754944.png
6D029D42-7FE5-436B-9E03-D0B36D674682.png
F3CF1780-3B76-41E4-8304-5E6DB8E95597.png
81172084-2BF3-41CC-8BD9-8AC4B02E6254.png
CB46E68C-55D4-4D84-B3A0-15EF55912F09.png
E21391D4-F3C0-4F65-9B0A-76E6A8E06F71.png
9CD24604-17B1-4904-B575-C27B3E035C9B.png

Attachments

• 319EA00D-7300-470B-B1A1-C36099B076C5.png
    319EA00D-7300-470B-B1A1-C36099B076C5.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #1,535 of 15,596
205E9EB8-0402-4959-9FE6-70174CAE3528.png

:k701smile:

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #1,536 of 15,596
That's the one I saw.
I must admit though, some of their comments are pretty funny.

However, when I went to demo those new DAPs, my wife was with me. She tried listening to the same song with the same iems on her iphone and then on the WM1AM2.
She was like "i wouldn't buy it because I don't care but it does sound a lot better than my phone".
Which immediately made me think of ASR.

Let’s not talk about wives, as we know they all have much more common sense than us/men! But ASR is not saying it sounds better, they have not confirmed hearing the MK2, but MK1, they said sounded worse than a phone. It measured worse and sounded worse, though they had limited listening if any!

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #1,537 of 15,596
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #1,538 of 15,596
There’s quite a lot of ridiculing on Sony DSEE Ultimate over at ASR without actually hearing it for themselves.

I am a owner of the Sony ZX507 which has the DSEE Ultimate function.

I will say that the DSEE Ultimate function does help me to enjoy music more.

It has the following effect:

It smoothens out music making vocals and instruments sound less grainy. A big refinement to the smoothness of the music especially for lossy files.

Fine sound details is heard more easily as there’s more noticeable rise in the transient for soft sound details, with more airiness and softness to the overall sound.

Adds soundstage depth and height to every element of the music, like a very soft afterglow to every musical note.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #1,539 of 15,596
That “subjective take” is the only thing that matters in the end. The fact that there is many ways to interpret music. I will be the first to question Sony ideas, but they much of the time are beyond my understanding. Yet if I like the sound then all is as it should be.

No one in their right mind will tell me I’m wrong for liking the sound!

If I like the sound then that’s the reality, nothing more to be said. If it is processed or distorted, it may be, but I don’t care as it’s musical.

No one can argue and tell me not to like musicality!
There’s quite a lot of ridiculing on Sony DSEE Ultimate over at ASR without actually hearing it for themselves.

I am a owner of the Sony ZX507 which has the DSEE Ultimate function.

I will say that the DSEE Ultimate function does help me to enjoy music more.

It has the following effect:

It smoothens out music making vocals and instruments sound less grainy. A big refinement to the smoothness of the music especially for lossy files.

Fine sound details is heard more easily as there’s more noticeable rise in the transient for soft sound details, with more airiness and softness to the overall sound.

Adds soundstage depth and height to every element of the music, like a very soft afterglow to every musical note.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #1,540 of 15,596
They erased the link here.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-3049

So? I mean why would they take the link down? It’s not like we ever erase any link to their findings. They are what they are? It’s not like anyone that is interested in the 1A/1Z would not know where Head-Fi is. They just like to condemn stuff, to say that the 1A is lesser than a Samsung phone. When clearly anyone who does the side by side tests can tell the 1A is way way different than a simple phone. I mean really it’s almost surreal what they think? It’s absolute nonsense. And to think that a few actually believe them? Haha

if a phone really plays music better than a dedicated audio hardware… the gods must be crazy or the dap designers must be doing it wrong. And those that bought the 1Z and 1A ought to dump their Walkmans in favor of their Samsung, LG and Apple phones.

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #1,541 of 15,596
if a phone really plays music better than a dedicated audio hardware… the gods must be crazy or the dap designers must be doing it wrong. And those that bought the 1Z and 1A ought to dump their Walkmans in favor of their Samsung, LG and Apple phones.
Or a lot of people are like "The emperors New Clothes" ?

As a point of interest, I acquired a 256GB iPhone 13 mini to use as a music player (AmazonHD/Tidal) and for the price I got the apple lightening to 3.5mm DAC/adapter that maxes out at 24/48 (£12) (do have a Khadas Tea Magsafe DAC/amp coming for it).

And based on these reviews I thought it would be wow!

https://www.audioreviews.org/apple-audio-adapter-review/

https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

I've had a ZX507 Japanese import and waiting on reviews before stumping up for the WM1AM2, and it coming back in stock at Amazon Japan (or UK confirmed as not volume capped!).

So, taking the balanced cables off my K10U/SE846/FD7's I've given the little iPhone dongle a work out...

And

Ultra clear, pristine, total black background and decent sound stage, but... clinical and sometimes boring sounding. My listening pleasure with my BTR5 or the ZX507 I had is much more enjoyable. The 'flavour' is not musical. Lab perfection on measurements might not produce the sounds people actually like! I think a do prefer a more musical/slightly warm sound but still having ultra clear Mids.

Note: the Apple adapter is great for £12 though if you like the clinical/reference sound sig and happy to max out at 24/48. I personally prefer Sony tuning.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #1,542 of 15,596
Or a lot of people are like "The emperors New Clothes" ?

As a point of interest, I acquired a 256GB iPhone 13 mini to use as a music player (AmazonHD/Tidal) and for the price I got the apple lightening to 3.5mm DAC/adapter that maxes out at 24/48 (£12) (do have a Khadas Tea Magsafe DAC/amp coming for it).

And based on these reviews I thought it would be wow!

https://www.audioreviews.org/apple-audio-adapter-review/

https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

I've had a ZX507 Japanese import and waiting on reviews before stumping up for the WM1AM2, and it coming back in stock at Amazon Japan (or UK confirmed as not volume capped!).

So, taking the balanced cables off my K10U/SE846/FD7's I've given the little iPhone dongle a work out...

And

Ultra clear, pristine, total black background and decent sound stage, but... clinical and sometimes boring sounding. My listening pleasure with my BTR5 or the ZX507 I had is much more enjoyable. The 'flavour' is not musical. Lab perfection on measurements might not produce the sounds people actually like! I think a do prefer a more musical/slightly warm sound but still having ultra clear Mids.
It’s apples to oranges really! I mean I have Apple dongles and at times they really do offer IEMs that I get a good response. Many IEMs seem to actually be made for the Apple dongle? They will respond well to the accurate, even and correct frequency response. It maybe would be said that the Dongle has a complete response. And the Walkmans, a drunken crazy limping response, that is simply more fun in the end!

But right it reaches the max at 24/48, does not play any higher sample rates. But still the soundstage of the Walkmans is wider, they offer a maybe more distorted view of reality. The bass is more 3D as well as the midrange more populated with characters. The treble has extension in areas that a Dongle just can’t perform. That is using the regular 1Z/1A with MrWalkmans firmware.

Mar 30, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #1,543 of 15,596
It’s apples to oranges really! I mean I have Apple dongles and at times they really do offer IEMs that I get a good response. Many IEMs seem to actually be made for the Apple dongle? They will respond well to the accurate, even and correct frequency response. It maybe would be said that the Dongle has a complete response. And the Walkmans, a drunken crazy limping response, that is simply more fun in the end!

But right it reaches the max at 24/48, does not play any higher sample rates. But still the soundstage of the Walkmans is wider, they offer a maybe more distorted view of reality. The bass is more 3D as well as the midrange more populated with characters. The treble has extension in areas that a Dongle just can’t perform. That is using the regular 1Z/1A with MrWalkmans firmware.

It all comes back to sound signature you prefer, what your driving and in the Sony, paying a premium for brand/design/materials/build quality. Neither would be any good for driving anything demanding.

For the money I still personally prefer my Fiio BTR5 (wired or LDAC Best) with its balanced output over anything I've had recently with only the ZX507 being close to my liking (not using words such as Best)

Eagerly awaiting NW-WM1AM2 reviews still and what real battery life is like.

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #1,545 of 15,596
Is there any news about the volume limiter in the EU units? Is it the same as the older models or have been removed in these new models?

It's the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back