Sony NW-HD5 coming June - maybe?
May 1, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #181 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDLeMire
No, it's not lossless. Lossless only refers to compression codecs. WAV, AIFF, PCM, etc. are uncompressed. And the PCM capability of HiMD probably had more to do with recording than music playback, so it's not surprising to not see it on their HDD players.

I see two reasons why it was surprising that Sony didn't implement pcm in their hd line.

1. Competitors have support for lossless/uncompressed music.
2. Implementing pcm is a piece of cake because you can just feed the stream directly to a dac.

May 2, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #182 of 203
i've made up my mind i want this player! i just sold my ipod mini to get it... i will really appreciate the more punchy bass and 20gb.

so does anybody have an idea when this will be released here in aus? or even other countries for that matter. will they have an international release all at once?

i am getting impatient already, lol... so i am considering importing but i don't know where to go except for ebay. and im concerned about compatibility with english windows?

thanks for ur help..

May 2, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #183 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_daniel88
i've made up my mind i want this player! i just sold my ipod mini to get it... i will really appreciate the more punchy bass and 20gb.

so does anybody have an idea when this will be released here in aus? or even other countries for that matter. will they have an international release all at once?

i am getting impatient already, lol... so i am considering importing but i don't know where to go except for ebay. and im concerned about compatibility with english windows?

thanks for ur help..

If your that impatient just get one from ebay

May 2, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #184 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Latexxx
I see two reasons why it was surprising that Sony didn't implement pcm in their hd line.

1. Competitors have support for lossless/uncompressed music.
2. Implementing pcm is a piece of cake because you can just feed the stream directly to a dac.

Hopefully Sony will learn. Stung by criticism for HD3, they now bring HD5 with playlists, proper names (groups?!), a proper menu system, inc a MP3 encoder in SS. Yes I know SS needs work, but its not that bad. Just need to make it quicker or less hardware intensive, and make it easier to change settings for multiple songs e.g genre or date.

Now looking forward to HD6 with OLED, 50hrs battery life, support for every format under the moon and a choice of 25 colours
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #189 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiep
Craving for a US release date...still haven't seen any information myself...anyone know of one? anyone? anyone?

worldwide release of May/June Sony have said.

So since the price for HD3 has bombed (in UK at least), and no doubt when HD5 comes along it'll fall some more, wonder whether HD3's shortfalls will be made up enough for people by price?
wink.gif

May 2, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #190 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphinx89
HD6, maybe HD36, when various petitions have been signed for Sony to stop pushing their ATRAC format so much

Apple's AAC is not proprietary? Or Microsoft's WMA? WMA is more widely adopted in players than AAC is. People can license all of this stuff for inclusion, but they don't.

I don't see the problem with Sony pushing their own as long as they have some sort of open standards on their devices as well.

May 3, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #191 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP
Apple's AAC is not proprietary? Or Microsoft's WMA? WMA is more widely adopted in players than AAC is. People can license all of this stuff for inclusion, but they don't.

I don't see the problem with Sony pushing their own as long as they have some sort of open standards on their devices as well.

Agree. And Sony had the decency of creating or adopting a (proprietary) format that is gapless, contrary to Apple, who sells music that won't play as it was intended.

May 3, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #192 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphinx89
HD6, maybe HD36, when various petitions have been signed for Sony to stop pushing their ATRAC format so much

Sony won't stop pushing their own proprietary lossless/gapless format (ATRAC3 or ATRAC3+) as long as they keep chunking out their own DAPs, even the Sony PSP has support for it, and honestly IMO it's actually considered one of those more notable with quality compression formats on the industry in contrary to other less popular format standards, like say OGG or AAC.

And to FenderP, nope Apple's AAC is not proprietary, they do license the format to other manufacturers such as Nokia. Alot of Nokia handsets with multimedia capability do come with AAC support, such as their N-Gage series and of course their upcoming N91 music-phone.

May 4, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #193 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haonan
And to FenderP, nope Apple's AAC is not proprietary, they do license the format to other manufacturers such as Nokia. Alot of Nokia handsets with multimedia capability do come with AAC support, such as their N-Gage series and of course their upcoming N91 music-phone.

No, no, no!
Apple hasn't invented aac, apple doesn't own heaps of patents on aac, and Apple itself must pay license fees for aac. Aac is an international standard defined by ISO. Apple hasn't even build their aac encoder from scratch. They licensed Dolby's implementation and did some tuning while retaining compatibility with the standard.
And Nokia's aac support has nothing to do with Apple. Nokia uses aac because it is a standard and 3gpp has specially defined aac to be used on mobile multimedia applications. And no. Nokia doesn't even use Apple's aac encoder.

If you are looking for an aac encoder, you can buy one from Fraunhofer, Dolby, Coding Technologies or download a free implementation from audiocoding.com. In addition you need to pay licensing fees to Vialicensing to legally distribute an aac encoder.

May 7, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #194 of 203
I finally got around to buying a HD5 on ebay. I chose the black one... I should get it by the end of this week.

I'll post some pics if nobody gets one before me. I just hope it will work on English Windows XP.

May 7, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #195 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_daniel88
I finally got around to buying a HD5 on ebay. I chose the black one... I should get it by the end of this week.

I'll post some pics if nobody gets one before me. I just hope it will work on English Windows XP.

u live in australia too lol? when u get urs, mind posting a review, and tell us about if the battery life is really about 30-40hrs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back