Sony NW-HD5 coming June - maybe?
Apr 30, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #166 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo
Although I think that OLED display is more convinient, I also think that all the next gen DAP's will feature colour screen as a standard feature just like what happened with cellphones a few years back. Im sure that there are people that will say "who needs colour screen, I'm only listening to music" but colour screen opens up so many more options. It opens the door to things like video capabilities, photo viewing, album art etc etc. And with the ipods, iriver's, cowan using colour screen function as standards I can see Sony releasing another similar HD5 model but with colour screen by the end of the year realising that they are behind in technology. And if their going to compete with apple there gonna have to make the colour screen a standard feature in the already feature lacking HD5

It exists. It's called the Vaio Pocket (the VGF-AP1 or AP1L depending on where you are) - color screen, G-sense, etc.

Apr 30, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #167 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shosta
To keep in focus: I would like that sony includes a lossless decoder into HD5.

Sony has lossless ATRAC - it was even in SonicStage 2.x. They just haven't implemented it in the players. It's one of the options when you go to encode.

May 1, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #168 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP
It exists. It's called the Vaio Pocket (the VGF-AP1 or AP1L depending on where you are) - color screen, G-sense, etc.

A pity Sony doesn't seem intent on updating the Vaio Pocket. In some aspects, it's the most desirable player I see in the market (gapless playback, good navigation, gorgeous color screen, 40GB). They could make it a little smaller and improve a few features, like photo viewing and faster browsing (having a touch sensitive control, they should use it for searching albums or a point within a track).

May 1, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #169 of 203
Quote:

Vaio pocket was developed by the computer division and does not have the feel or look of a walkman player. Will the network walkman guys advance to the color screen?

May 1, 2005 at 8:44 AM Post #170 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by t10
The latest trend of making a device do 10 useless things, and doing them mediocre at best, should die.

I want my player to play music, and do that well. If they can add a useless functionality, then it is ok I guess, as long as it is not at the expense of sacrificing the main functionality.

it's exactly my opinion. I want Music, I want quality, I want lightness and solidity.
Photo, pics, agenda of the appointments, games, tetris, mario bros, GT4, call of duty?
they do not interest to me, I have mobile phone

May 1, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #171 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beethovenian
A pity Sony doesn't seem intent on updating the Vaio Pocket. In some aspects, it's the most desirable player I see in the market (gapless playback, good navigation, gorgeous color screen, 40GB). They could make it a little smaller and improve a few features, like photo viewing and faster browsing (having a touch sensitive control, they should use it for searching albums or a point within a track).

On sony's japan website it states that are another 2 or 4 mp3 players that will be released this year. Maybe they will update the HD5 with more features or maybe higer GB version of their other new releases ( cant remember what thier called ). The vaio pocket is an excellent player, I almost picked one up yesturday but the 40GB is just to big. I think that sony has discontinued the 20GB version in the UK.

May 1, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #172 of 203
Quote:

On sony's japan website it states that are another 2 or 4 mp3 players that will be released this year. Maybe they will update the HD5 with more features or maybe higer GB version of their other new releases ( cant remember what thier called ). The vaio pocket is an excellent player, I almost picked one up yesturday but the 40GB is just to big. I think that sony has discontinued the 20GB version in the UK.

Well there's been a new player in the HDx range every six months. Good for those who wait or are rich, not good for those who just got a new player. 3 months after I get my HD3, HD5 turns up, grumble grumble. I predict HD6 Dec '05. Although with the PSP on the scene...?

May 1, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #173 of 203
A color screen is useful if the player has usbtogo technology (the ipod has its equivlant in the camera connector). I have an interest in photography too and it's really awesome to be able to at least back up your photos on a DAP and then viewing them is nice too. It's a nice function that doesn't really interfere with audio too much - the backlight, after all, is off when you're not looking.

I don't nessasarily think that it's the color screen that blocks battery life. Really long battery has been seen in Sony players only - and they've always been revolutionary in battery technology. The Creative Zen, for example, seems to lack 20+ hour battery life, even without color. And a CD player is hardly the same as a DAP - a 20GB+ hard drive eats up batteries.

In a DAP without camera connectors though, OLED is the way to go. But honest I fail to see how the HD5 is an huge improvement over the HD3 - though the HD5 30GB is, I guess.

May 1, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #174 of 203
Quote:

Well, in the USA the NW-HD5 is going to also come in 20GB and 30GB versions.

The 40GB is too big? lol 20GB was too small for me when I owned my Karma. 40GB is just right.

May 1, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #175 of 203
Quote:

Sony has lossless ATRAC - it was even in SonicStage 2.x. They just haven't implemented it in the players. It's one of the options when you go to encode.

They don't have lossless atrac. Version 2.1 and newer of SonicStage support pcm (uncompressed) streams in their OpenMG container. Sony Hi-MD line of players is able to record and play these files. I find it pretty half-assed that Sony didn't implement pcm in their nw-hd line which is newer than Hi-MD.

May 1, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #176 of 203
Quote:

Well, in the USA the NW-HD5 is going to also come in 20GB and 30GB versions.

The 40GB is too big? lol 20GB was too small for me when I owned my Karma. 40GB is just right.

Yeah Its coming to the UK in may and the 30 GB at the ending of may. I meant the size was to big literally. Have you seen the thing?, its friekin huge even for a 40 GB. I couldnt even get my and around it. I cant find the 20GB vaio anywhere, I think sony have discontinued it, even sony style is only selling refurbished units

May 1, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #177 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Latexxx
They don't have lossless atrac. Version 2.1 and newer of SonicStage support pcm (uncompressed) streams in their OpenMG container. Sony Hi-MD line of players is able to record and play these files. I find it pretty half-assed that Sony didn't implement pcm in their nw-hd line which is newer than Hi-MD.

Well, it's SOny lossless. That's what I meant. It's their WMA Lossless, AAC Lossless ... oh wait, those are semi-proprietary, too
smily_headphones1.gif

As I said, I was surprised I could create lossless in SonicStage, but not actually put it in the player. Oh well.

Maybe they will eventually.

May 1, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #178 of 203
Quote:

Yeah Its coming to the UK in may and the 30 GB at the ending of may. I meant the size was to big literally. Have you seen the thing?, its friekin huge even for a 40 GB. I couldnt even get my and around it. I cant find the 20GB vaio anywhere, I think sony have discontinued it, even sony style is only selling refurbished units

I disagree. Next to the M3, it's marginally bigger. Sure, if you compare it to the NW-HD3 (I haven't seen the 5 up close), it's huge. You must have tiny hands because I just picked it up ... it feels fine in the hand. It flares out a little where the battery is, but like the HD5, you'll be able to replace it easily.

The one thing the VP has which I have yet to feel on any other DAP I've handled is build quality. This thing is well built.

May 1, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #179 of 203
Quote:

I disagree. Next to the M3, it's marginally bigger. Sure, if you compare it to the NW-HD3 (I haven't seen the 5 up close), it's huge. You must have tiny hands because I just picked it up ... it feels fine in the hand. It flares out a little where the battery is, but like the HD5, you'll be able to replace it easily.

The one thing the VP has which I have yet to feel on any other DAP I've handled is build quality. This thing is well built.

My hands are considered to be huge, its the first thing people point out when they see me. Its tooo biiigggg, even next to my H340 its big.

May 1, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #180 of 203
Quote:

Well, it's SOny lossless. That's what I meant. It's their WMA Lossless, AAC Lossless ... oh wait, those are semi-proprietary, too
smily_headphones1.gif

As I said, I was surprised I could create lossless in SonicStage, but not actually put it in the player. Oh well.

Maybe they will eventually.

No, it's not lossless. Lossless only refers to compression codecs. WAV, AIFF, PCM, etc. are uncompressed. And the PCM capability of HiMD probably had more to do with recording than music playback, so it's not surprising to not see it on their HDD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back