Sony NW-HD5 coming June - maybe?
Apr 6, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #32 of 203
damn, i just got the hd3.
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #34 of 203
The big points of that Sony NW-HD5 press release are:

1/ They've upped the battery life again! 40 Hours now!
2/ 30Gb version available (Should have been standard... )
3/ Sonicstage 3.1 available (is Europe gonna bypass v3.0?)
4/ Little bit lighter at 125g (NW-HD3 is 130g)
5/ Should be instore by June.

And its a bit smaller too according to the Sony tech specs,

NW-HD3 90mm x 62.1mm x 14.8mm
NW-HD5 89.3mm x 55.9mm x 14.5mm
iPod Mini 91.44mm x 50.8mm x 12.7mm (for comparison)

But no backlight?

Apr 6, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #36 of 203
I don't think the specs are all correct. They say no backlight, but the press article says it has a bright backlight. The specs say nothing about mp3 support, only mp3 to ATRAC conversion, but the press release says both mp3 and ATRAC support.

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #38 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
I don't think the specs are all correct. They say no backlight, but the press article says it has a bright backlight. The specs say nothing about mp3 support, only mp3 to ATRAC conversion, but the press release says both mp3 and ATRAC support.

I think Sony would be the most stupid company ever if they didn't put a backlight and native mp3 support on the HD5, especially since they implemented these things already on the HD3.

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #40 of 203
It's definately real. According to Sony Japan website:
http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/P...00504/05-0406/

Looks like it will have:
1) Support BOTH MP3 and Atrac3/3+
2) Bright LED backlight
3) 30 hours battery life if playing MP3 (128kbps)
4) new SEARCH button, help finding your tune out of 20GB songs
and other same features in HD1/3:
5) 6-band EQ
6) Fast charging (1.5 hour for 80%) USB charging from PC is also possible but slower
7) Data storage as a portable HD drive.
8) G-Sensor shock protection. Trust me, this is the most important feature for portable HD player. I accidently drop my HD1 from ~1m last year and it worked! Didn't even miss a beat
tongue.gif

With the 90 degree rotating 7-line LCD, supporting Playlist and removable battery, that's great!

The more I look at the pictures and the spec, the more I like it. Yes, it's different (and not as classy) than HD1/3 but it does have its own design flavor. Hmm... and I just bought HD3 a month ago...
blink.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #41 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
The styling is iPodesque.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
I wish it didnt have the rounded corners that looked EXACTLY like the ipod...
rolleyes.gif

Well rounded corners maybe... but otherwise I'm not sure which iPod these look like.
wink.gif
Doesn't have the Apple [or Sony] styling to me. Black especially looks more walkie-talkie/portable scanner. Button layout reminds of the old (or is it current - I haven't bought a Sony product in a while) digital bits 'S' logo. Aesthetics are only one thing though. Size, bat life, easily removable battery, etc. all look good.

The Sony.co.uk says ATRAC and MP3 playback and various backlight colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back