Sony NW-HD5 coming June - maybe?
Apr 6, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #46 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
I think Sony would be the most stupid company ever if they didn't put a backlight and native mp3 support on the HD5, especially since they implemented these things already on the HD3.

in this image it looks like there IS a backlight, especially towards the top of the srceen. it would be extremely stupid remove the backlight after all of the HD line had one.
sony1_03.jpg

the HD5 is a bit of a dissapointment design wise though. also, on the back it says "Atrac AD", any idea why the "AD", audio device perhaps?

orb

Apr 6, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #47 of 203
Although it doesnt look very nice compared to the rest of the HD series, it has more features, like initial search, and playlists which im sure is helpful

i wish sony wouldnt realease a new HD player every 6 months, i got HD3 at christmas...makes me feel jealous now ¬_¬

Apr 6, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #48 of 203
The new issue of T3 magazine in the UK has the 'exclusive' low-down on the NW-HD5 from Sony UK. You can read the online version here.

It confirms the May launch date and gives a UK price of £200.

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #51 of 203
They have real playlist support, esp. from the look of this pic http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...6/sony1_10.jpg

They compare it to how it works on the HD3... man, I wish they would allow firmware upgrades. People can't afford to keep buying the new models every few months for new features. I do also wonder what SonicStage 3.1 will do, other than support playlist transfer on the HD5. I wonder if audio quality will be any different.

On other notes, the inclusion of a DC port directly on the device, along with a standard USB connector is very nice. Sony gets a little smarter each time... maybe by HD23 it will be what we're all looking for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #52 of 203
I pray it has on-the-fly playlisting. Im really liking the asthetics of this player (the black looks alot better than any ipod i've ever seen). and the corners arnt as ipod-esque as i thought, the hd-5 has less rounded corners. The black screen with white writing has always appealed to me, and the jet black HD5 and black background is just wicked
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #53 of 203
Honestly it reminds me more of the older iRiver IHP120/140 player than the iPod and I think it looks great, maybe not HD1 great but nice looking none the less. Look wise I like HD1 > HD5 > HD3. It is likely I'll get one when the come out or maybe the HD6 because I just have some facination with the number 6.

And I love my SEXY W100!!! Hell Yeah!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #54 of 203
Doh, i was waiting specifically for the next hd and held out on the hd3 due to it not being so good in the features department, but now this...it isnt really appealing to me lookwise =/
The HD1 & 3 totally trounces the HD5's design in my opinion
frown.gif

What a shame
frown.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #55 of 203
I don't know about you guys but I think the red HD5 looks ever so sexy!!!
eek.gif
The black looks real slick and classy and the silver just looks plain boring. The ipod is already super small, but this thing must be miniscule, especially since it has 20gb. The small flap revealing the power/usb connectors is a nice touch and the removeable battery is pretty awesome. I think overall the design is looking very good indeed, kinda reminds me of my old super-slim sony cassette player I once had.

Only thing I'm worried about is the sound; a HD player with 20gb and 30hr battery life can only get so small before sounds quality starts being compromised. Lets just hope it at least retains the HD1/3 sound quality.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #56 of 203
The black and the red look mighty good to me.

So there is a removable battery? And it still lasts 30hrs? Thats impressive.

Hopefully these will be improved:

-Loading times (horrendous on the Hd3)
-Sound Quality and Sound Output (5mW is to low for sensitive headphones)
-Sonic Stage interface: Make it more like Jriver Media Center and less like 3rd rate flash website.
-Playlisting (M3u support directly), and hopefully, some true on the fly playlists

Then it might be good.

It looks like they have improved the interface, battery life, and the inclusion of all the inputs on the device is a plus.

Apr 7, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #57 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
Honestly it reminds me more of the older iRiver IHP120/140 player than the iPod and I think it looks great, maybe not HD1 great but nice looking none the less. Look wise I like HD1 > HD5 > HD3. It is likely I'll get one when the come out or maybe the HD6 because I just have some facination with the number 6.

And I love my SEXY W100!!! Hell Yeah!!!
biggrin.gif

I think they will launch the hd7 out after the hd5. They will take odd numbers. The hd2 was the different color version of the hd1 but the same unit with the hd1.

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #58 of 203
I think the sleeping bear is starting to wake from it's winter sleep...
Watch out Apple...Sony has more marketing money/muscle than you can every dream to have...

We will see...at least there will finally be some competition on the marketing front from someone with cash...tons of better products than Apple out in the market but no one has any marketing money to push them...

LIP

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #59 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by lip
I think the sleeping bear is starting to wake from it's winter sleep...Watch out Apple...Sony has more marketing money/muscle than you can every dream to have...

We will see...at least there will finally be some competition on the marketing front from someone with cash...tons of better products than Apple out in the market but no one has any marketing money to push them...

LIP

Yes sony definately has the upper hand in sheer marketing power, but Apple has sooo much more momentum its rediculous. The word of mouth and "clever" marketing that apple employs is very effective and will likely continue to work again and again. If sony wants to break into this scene they cant call up macey grey and ask her to do some song by aerosmith, it just wreaks of old. (sorry aerosmith and macey grey fans) If sony wants to take some more market place they need to have a MUCH better marketing scheme. I really do hope that sony or some other company can knock apple down off its mountain (mostly to drop prices of ALL DAP's, but also to promote inovation and progression in technology) but its a very lofty goal, the best i think you can hope for is to knock Apple down a big peg or two. But eventually the market will right it self and apple will be seeing a lot more competition, and a lot less complete domination.

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #60 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by lip
Watch out Apple...Sony has more marketing money/muscle than you can every dream to have...

iTunes Music Store = lock-in for those who use it or have too much invested in it; lock-out for those who want to; Apple's ability to stay at the top
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back