Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Jan 24, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #333 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by heminder
if anyone finds the HD1 or HD3 cheaper than £200(HD1) and £220(HD3) plz tell me! ive found these prices at Amazon.co.uk.

You best get to your local Argos quicksmart. They've got the HD1's as Clearance Stock for £149.99.

Also don't go past Richer Sounds who are price matching Amazon on the HD3's, and more importantly, actually have stock of the black and red's.

Just thinking about that HD1 again. That's astonishing value. A 20 Gig player, thats as small as a mini/micro, has one of the longest battery lifes in the business, and for under £150.

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #334 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramnonnac
relating to the way that the player stores entries in the order that they are transferred originally....my problem would be that I already have around 400 cds in alphabetical order which I would transfer in that way but at a later date if I want to transfer a cd by ,for example, ' the killers ' to the player would I be able to in some way insert this so that it would remain in alphabetical order ?...it would be very annoying having any newly transferred cds out of order after spending soooo lonnnggg getting it right to start with....just wonderin' !

The Artist, Album, and Genre lists appear in alphabetical order no matter what you do. If you want to browse your CDs on the player I reckon these (especially Album) will make the most sense.

The Group list appear in the order you specify. By default this will be the order in which you add the Groups. However you can drag them up and down to get the order of your liking (that you can only drag one Group at the time is somewhat inconvenient though).

Also, you can specify WHERE to put Groups and songs if you drag them (instead of simply clicking "Transfer") from your Library and onto your player's Group list.

Quote:

can anyone confirm if the RM-MC40ELK remote is backlit blue or green as it may sway decision to go for NW-HD3 black unit which is backlit blue or the silver version which I expect is backlit green to match remote which I would try to obtain.

My RM-MC40ELK has blue backlight. I don't think there are any other versions of it. I got the NW-HD3 in silver and it has white/gray backlight...

Darn, never occured to me that it doesn't match the remote before! :p

.tmk

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #335 of 860
The 'group' listing on the HD3 is very useful for me, as I've had the foresight to convert and upload my (massive) CD collection in the order I purchased them. So I'm currently playing through my entire CD collection from 1988 up to the present day in the order I bought them - and any new albums I buy and upload in the future will be conveniently tagged on to the end of this list every time.

Trouble is, I think it's going to take me the best part of two years to listen to all my CD albums and singles chronologically! I may be some time...

Andy

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #336 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphinx89
HD3 has scrolling text, for example in the group menu, if you pause on a group, and the name goes off the screen it will scroll along. same goes with playing a song

My HD1 does this as well.

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #337 of 860
thanks for the info 'TMKINF' ...Got a set of sony mdr-ex71sl's today ( in black obviously,white would almost be like treason and in style today and out tomorrow )and just tested them on personal c.d. player i've been using recently. they take a little gettin' used to but I think they will prove worthwhile......I plan to scrape enough cash together within next few weeks to go for HD3 ,probably in black to match remote blue backlight , so my query is that I think I may struggle using sonic stage and transferring with current P.C. which is a fair age and pentium 2 , only 233 mhz with 224 mb of ram....I do plan to get a new p.c. within a couple of months also but until then will i be able to transfer anything or will it just not work as I think I remember reading somewhere that min requirements 400mhz processor....I should really get new computer first but just can't wait for HD3...any ideas anyone ?

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #340 of 860
Quote:

my query is that I think I may struggle using sonic stage ... I think I remember reading somewhere that min requirements 400mhz processor

Correct, specs are:

Processor speed of at least 400MHz (450MHz recommended), 64-MB RAM (128-MB recommended), 400-MB available hard disk space: running the following operating systems: Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition or Professional or Media Center) or Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional.

But personally, I think you'll be fine. Just be prepared to wait twice as long during the encoding phase. If you're music's already in MP3 format you shouldn't have any problems.

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #341 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
Bloody long! I have the NW-HD1 and have about 200 Cds on it (Atrac 3+, 256 Kbs) use the Smoothing facility which adds another 25% or so. A CD takes about 5 to 10 minutes to convert to Atrac, after that only 20 secs to copy to the player.

Maybe you have a slow CD drive, as I can rip a 70+ min CD in about 2 minutes to ATRACplus.

Andy

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #342 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twizzle
Maybe you have a slow CD drive, as I can rip a 70+ min CD in about 2 minutes to ATRACplus.

Andy

You must have a VERY fast PC then. Speedwise, the limiting factor seems to be the encoding to ATRAC, not the CD drive's speed.

I have a P4 2.6C running at 3.25GHz, with a 52x CD drive. For me, the ripping and encoding of a 70+ min CD to ATRAC3Plus 256 takes approx 3-4 mins. I might time it exactly tonight.

Jan 26, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #343 of 860
today i was in the service center which sony mailed me i could do the upgrade fpr the HD1 but when i was there the service manager told me that the arent allowed to do the upgrade only Sony itself has the right to do it.They will now send the unit to sony and i have to wait,so my trip today was for nothing,and my 1day old HD1 is send to Sony and i have to wait for about 2 weeks. This is so silly they could upgrade it but Sony doesnt give them the permission for it,aaargh.Now i´ll have to wait and see what happens.

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #344 of 860
Just obtained a US version of the HD3 and have a few questions if you don't mind. I'm dumping the iPod (but not iTunes) and I'm new to DRM and SonicStage, so any help would be appreciated.....

1. What does DRM mean for the 3200 MP3's I just moved onto my HD3? I like iTunes and the wife is going to inherit my iPod, so I merely imported the contents of my iTunes MP3's into SonicStage and sync'd it to my HD3. Please tell me that the DRM only affects the songs in the HD3 and not the raw MP3's that I've owned since forever. I'm hoping that the files in the HD3 get security features but that it leaves my MP3's on the PC alone.

2. I'll use my HD3 when I travel, and I'm hoping I can pack only the USB cable to charge the HD3. If I don't have any MP3's on my notebook's hard drive and I don't have any SonicStage software installed, can I just plug the HD3 into my notebook and get a charge that way? Or does mounting the HD3 on a non-authorized / non-softwared PC wipe the HD3 of the songs?

3. Can someone explain the process of creating a Playlist in the HD3?

4. SonicStage crashed like crazy when I tried to import/transfer over 3200 songs in one shot. So I did it in chunks of 100 songs at a time (very tedious). In doing so, in the right pane of SonicStage I've now got 32 subfolders, each with 100 MP3's in them. Is there any way to undo this so that they all live in one folder so I can sort by artist without having to double click and open all 32 subfolders each time?

5. Is there a way to select a large group of files and assign a Genre to them? So far, it looks like I have to right click files individually to get them all into the same Genre. Can't be the only way, right?

6. Approximately 127 of my 3200 songs were not accepted by SonicStage because it "couldn't verify the digital rights management". Why is this the case and how does one get these files onto the HD3? They're all legal (I merely ripped my collection with MusicMatch years ago) and some of them were ripped at the same time from the same album......9 tracks go through perfectly, 2 tracks get DRM rejection. How can that happen?

7. It appears that the HD3 doesn't seek out all the files already on it's drive every time I sync. Unlike the iPod, I can just transfer over 10 new files and not worry about the existing 3200. Is that correct? I can delete the 3200 songs from my PC and it won't cause a deletion upon the next sync, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help! The iPod is big and clunky and the battery life is a major pain. The HD3 is sleek and slim and has terrific battery life. More distinctive and unique looking. Mine is Silver with the white backlight and the reverse display looks stunning. The first reversed LCD display on an MP3 player that's legible in all lighting conditions.

BJ

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #345 of 860
You can transfer songs from multiple pcs onto the hd3, well i can anyway. However, you can only put songs from the hd3 onto a pc if they were transfered from the pc to the hd3 in the first place (hope this is making sense).

Yes you can charge the hd3 from any pc using usb regardless of whether sonicstage is installed.

DRM only affects the tracks on the hd3 not the ones on your pc. Wrapping the files with drm happens when you transfer the tracks. I'm not sure why you have problems with some tracks from ablums where others work - that seems very odd
confused.gif

Groups is sonys version of playlists. It is slightly annoying because every track comes up some kind of group, so you may want to create folder beginning with 'a' for your playlists and then i think you can create multiple groups in side that group for your playlists (i think). Or you can use bookmarks for your favourite songs.

I originally copied the majority of my music from my desktop pc and then added a few extra songs which I had on my laptop and it seemed to recognise/sync all the songs which were previously on the hd3
confused.gif

Hope I have been of some help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back