SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Jul 12, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,651 of 2,453
It doesn't say nothing about MQA
Yeah it does, look up the Manuel. Both the new A40 and ZX300 seem to playback mqa, or we'll atleast they list it under compatible files. Also both designs didn't change. The ZX300 seems like a great deal now, both 3.5mm and 4.4mm balanced and the new Sony OS. Together with mqa and good output power it would be a great player at a price point of about 600€/$

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,652 of 2,453
I am really curious about the positioning of the new A40 series. While I liked A30, there is not enough improvement from A20 to make me buy one. Also lately there are many competitors at this price range, some even have 2.5mm balanced output (dps1, xdr 20r, Aune M1s).

So I would really be pleasantly surprised if Sony managed to give A40 4.4mm balanced output (which will be very competitive and can promote 4.4mm standard ), but the chance is slim. If it is not gonna happen, what else can Sony put into the new A40 to survive the lower price DAP market?

Long battery life that no one else can come close to, except the outdated Cowon Plenue D.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #1,655 of 2,453
Hi guys! I'd like to buy a new Bluetooth DAP (i own an ipod, 4th gen)! My doubt is between Cayin N3 and Sony A35! What do you think about that?

I'm following this thread since 2 weeks and i realized that the new Sony A40 is coming: do you think it will be released by the end of August or,more likely, towards the end of the year? Do you think it worths instead of the A35?

Thank you all!!!
Have a good day

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #1,656 of 2,453
the most thing I want in a new Walkman is "New Song Pop-up" that was in the A806 back in 2007!!, this was a very useful option because whilst exercising and the Walkman is in front of me I like to see the song titles, now I have to press a button for every song to see the title, but with the "New Song Pop-up" it would open the screen for each song, I've been begging Sony in their forum since 2015 to give us this in a firmware and we are in 2017 and still begging!!, anyone know a better way to reach a person who does firmware updates?

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #1,657 of 2,453
I just hope Sony does not follow the same policy they did in Canada when they released the A20 series. They kept the A10 series and only offered the A26hn and A27hn. If they stay true to form they keep the A30 series or at least the A35 on the low end price wise and only offer the A46 and A47 with or without the stupid noise cancelling earbuds. My vote is without but I am not holding my breath.

As for those lamenting the missing podcast and bookmarking features. If they aren't popular features in Asia then they won't be offered. How hard would it be for Sony to offer certain features via firmware updates for the markets that want it, like podcast and bookmarking support? That's the difference between Sony and companies like Fiio and Cayin who actively take feedback from customers on the features they want in their DAP's

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #1,658 of 2,453
Long battery life that no one else can come close to, except the outdated Cowon Plenue D.

Hi guys! I'd like to buy a new Bluetooth DAP (i own an ipod, 4th gen)! My doubt is between Cayin N3 and Sony A35! What do you think about that?

I'm following this thread since 2 weeks and i realized that the new Sony A40 is coming: do you think it will be released by the end of August or,more likely, towards the end of the year? Do you think it worths instead of the A35?

Thank you all!!!
Have a good day

I think these are very early certification/patent type registrations the news is based on, not an official announcement- if A40 actually happening, guessing probably won't be for a while (If I remember right A17 came in november in US, and zx100/a25 the next year or something like that, but usually US gets Sony stuff later than Europe and Asia). I think there is a new bluetooth standard coming soon as well, if bluetooth is important to you it might be worthwhile to see what DAPs in the next year support it (also consider that A35 doesn't support AptX, only LDAC, from what I understand).

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #1,659 of 2,453
I think these are very early certification/patent type registrations the news is based on, not an official announcement- if A40 actually happening, guessing probably won't be for a while (If I remember right A17 came in november in US, and zx100/a25 the next year or something like that, but usually US gets Sony stuff later than Europe and Asia). I think there is a new bluetooth standard coming soon as well, if bluetooth is important to you it might be worthwhile to see what DAPs in the next year support it (also consider that A35 doesn't support AptX, only LDAC, from what I understand).
It is actually confirmed. The A40 series and the ZX300 are already in production and they will come to Asia and Europe at the end of this year. They are not that early since the things that got leaked are actual documents that come with the player. Those documents will only be produced when a product is confirmed and will be released. This information comes from various products of the past that confirm this. On the A35 series these documents where leaked and only 2 after the player got annouced in asians countries and 1 more month later they got released. The release in Europe took 2 months longer and the release in the us 2 more months.

Also about aptx, the new A40 will support aptx.

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #1,660 of 2,453
I am trying to upgrade my DAP, moving from a Fiio X3 (1st gen). I am trying to decide between the Sony NW-30 and the Cayin N3. I am mostly interested in Bluetooth/APT-X, microSD support, and a price under $200. Which would you choose? Also, what is the expected price of the A40? Thanks.

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #1,661 of 2,453
I am trying to upgrade my DAP, moving from a Fiio X3 (1st gen). I am trying to decide between the Sony NW-30 and the Cayin N3. I am mostly interested in Bluetooth/APT-X, microSD support, and a price under $200. Which would you choose? Also, what is the expected price of the A40? Thanks.
MSRP for the A40 is not confirmed anywhere but it will probably be 200-250$

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #1,665 of 2,453
Telling me card not mounted, doesn't recognize the card, it's like it's not there....

Happens to be once in a while... all i do is reinsert the card or switch the device off and back on. This has worked for me most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back