SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Feb 23, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #1,113 of 2,453
So... now that a fair number of ppl have A30s- can anyone check if DAP's volume control works to control external dac/amp volume?

Asked a while ago but didn't see any answers.
Not having OTG volume control along with no podcast bookmarking makes this dap a no-go for the time being, unfortunate for the Sony fanboy part of me.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #1,114 of 2,453
  If you only want LDAC then stick with the A30 series.  They all use the same LDAC bluetooth version and all you are doing is transmitting the data to the receiving device for playback.  Save your money and buy a good Sony LDAC bluetooth playback device.  LDAC does suck up battery life fairly quickly so the Sony DAP with the longest battery life should be the best choice.  I might even suggest you consider the A20 series if you can find one.  It has slightly better battery life than the A30 series and you can probably find it for less.  The A20 series also still supports AptX for non Sony devices while the A30 series doesn't.

I have my A17 paired with my Sony STRDN860 receiver using LDAC and it sounds amazing.  My advice save your money and get either the A30 series or the A20 series if all you want is LDAC.

Thanks, I'll just order the A30 then, I like the 35mw headphone power vs the 15mw of the A20 Since I'll need it for the A3 if I go wired. When you say LDAC does drain power fast, how many hours should I expect? As long as I get about 7 hours, that should be dine as it's about how long the MUC-M2BT1 will last anyways.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #1,115 of 2,453
Just standby. by the way all the tracks are flac format. I think maybe it's the weather leading to the battery life is much shorter than Sony reported

That is actually quite good, I only get close to the rated battery life on my A17 if I turn it off when not using it.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #1,116 of 2,453

Thanks, I'll just order the A30 then, I like the 35mw headphone power vs the 15mw of the A20 Since I'll need it for the A3 if I go wired. When you say LDAC does drain power fast, how many hours should I expect? As long as I get about 7 hours, that should be dine as it's about how long the MUC-M2BT1 will last anyways.

On the highest quality LDAC setting I am averaging about 10 or 11 hours so you should be happy.  I actually had the A3 for awhile but switched to the Q1 for double the battery life and what I consider to be better sound quality.  The Q1 has slightly less power than the A3 but more than enough for my headphones.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #1,117 of 2,453
  On the highest quality LDAC setting I am averaging about 10 or 11 hours so you should be happy.  I actually had the A3 for awhile but switched to the Q1 for double the battery life and what I consider to be better sound quality.  The Q1 has slightly less power than the A3 but more than enough for my headphones.

Ah, I meant the XBA-A3 not the Sony DAC, I normally use a Teac HA-P50 when wired and I just got in a Q1 as it's smaller and easier to carry around but now that I'm ordering the A30, I may sell that as I would use the A30 as my main music player instead of my iPhone 6 while on the go.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,119 of 2,453
Since I plan one using a A30 series with my XBA-A3/N3 mostly over LDAC. Should I just get the A35 since I won't need another pair of earbuds. Since all unit can take MicroSD cards, is there any other difference between the A35,36,37 other than internal memory? Any disadvantage to using a MicroSD over internal memory?

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #1,121 of 2,453
I was trying some different ways to copy music to the walkman and I found out that the Media Go software actually modifies every song you copy. I dont know if the music itself gets modified but the tags and the embedded Artwork gets modified (probably just so the walkman can work with everything). I only found this because I copied some files through the Windows Explorer and the artwork wasnt showing but when I used the Media Go software it did. Also It "fixes" track numbers, I have got some Albums that have tracknumbers like 1.01; 1.02; 2.01 ... and it changes it to 1 2 1 and moves the disc number in the front to a different tag.Also the new update (1.10) makes the Walkman very nice to use. The Menus are way smoother and it reacts a bit faster. Also they added a nice new animation when for example the Albums load :D 

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,122 of 2,453
Looking to buy the A35 in a few weeks if Amazon UK has it in stock at the time.

If anyone has and uses both, how well does the A35 work with Jriver Media Center?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #1,123 of 2,453
Im not quite sure what you want to know, but if you mean if its possible to use a Media Server to safe the Music on there and Stream it to the Walkman, that is not possible. If you meant something else please briefly outline it :D

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #1,124 of 2,453
  Since I plan one using a A30 series with my XBA-A3/N3 mostly over LDAC. Should I just get the A35 since I won't need another pair of earbuds. Since all unit can take MicroSD cards, is there any other difference between the A35,36,37 other than internal memory? Any disadvantage to using a MicroSD over internal memory?

The main difference between the A35/36/37 besides the amount of internal memory is the A36/A37 are HN models.  So you are paying for Sony's noise canceling earbuds and as far as I can find if you don't want the earbuds the A35 is your only option.

As far as the difference between internal and microsd you might find it a little faster copying tracks to the internal memory.  Personally I would get the A35 as I don't want the Sony noise canceling earbuds and would put the money saved towards a 200GB microsd card.

I am strictly a headphone guy as I have very sensitive ears and don't like putting things in them.  My A17 at 10mW per channel double amped with my Q1 provides more than enough power for my overear B&W P5S2 headphones.  I can't imagine with the 35 mW from the A30 series that you would need external amplification with your XBA-A3's.  

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,125 of 2,453
  I was trying some different ways to copy music to the walkman and I found out that the Media Go software actually modifies every song you copy. I dont know if the music itself gets modified but the tags and the embedded Artwork gets modified (probably just so the walkman can work with everything). I only found this because I copied some files through the Windows Explorer and the artwork wasnt showing but when I used the Media Go software it did. Also It "fixes" track numbers, I have got some Albums that have tracknumbers like 1.01; 1.02; 2.01 ... and it changes it to 1 2 1 and moves the disc number in the front to a different tag.Also the new update (1.10) makes the Walkman very nice to use. The Menus are way smoother and it reacts a bit faster. Also they added a nice new animation when for example the Albums load :D 

I use Media Go with my A17 and when I rip my CD's through Media Go it automatically downloads the artwork and sizes it to fit.  For a Sony software product it actually works really well and does a great job with playlists as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back