SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Feb 14, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #1,066 of 2,453

They can't really tell if it's fake.  They can tell if it doesn't have correctly working flash memory at the locations it tries to write, or enough of it.  Two of the 3 cards passed FakeFlashTest.  However, it doesn't write to every byte on the card.  The cards should fail H2testw (which writes to every byte) because they fail actual file writes to the entire card.  There are no visible signs that the cards are fake.  They aren't remarked smaller cards.  Everything looks correct.  It seems they're just defective.

I have been trying to do my homework on this and I have read several websites.  I really think the problem is getting so bad that Sandisk and the other manufacturers should start thinking about selling direct to customers.  This seems to be the only way to guarantee you won't get a fake card.  At least then if a card doesn't work you know it is defective.

I can get 128GB cards locally for about $70.00 vs $59.00 on amazon.ca and 200GB for $110.00 to $120.00 vs around $100.00 on amazon.ca.  So there is certainly a premium to buying locally but given how important a purchase it is I think it is worthwhile.  Still not a guarantee you won't get a fake but getting a resolution will be much easier.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #1,067 of 2,453
For now there's not much cable that works except the one done by Sony with their kind of adaptor...but it's bulky...big time bulky!!!

That was part of the reason why I went for the AK70 instead of the A30 as a transport for my Mojo since it was too bulky.

The other reason being it doesn't sound that good as a transport as compared to the AK70.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #1,068 of 2,453
That was part of the reason why I went for the AK70 instead of the A30 as a transport for my Mojo since it was too bulky.

The other reason being it doesn't sound that good as a transport as compared to the AK70.

totally true, since I don't own an AK70 I can't compare but right now I'm using my Shanling M1 with my Mojo until i find a nice deal on a used AK70 or Esther M1 to use it as transport with the Mojo

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #1,071 of 2,453

For me it didn't work (tried with an iBasso DAC/amp) Charging and connecting to the computer works, but no digital music signal out to the DAC.

did you experience this touble using the WMP-NWM10 ? also which IBasso Dac/Amp were you usingf?
I haven't purchased the WMP-NWM10 yet but plan to, but do use the (now discontinued) Fiio LF Line out docking cable and have found at times that in order to get the transport to begin through my iBasso D-Zero MKII i have to shut off and restart my Walkman (after switching from the Amp section to the DAC section) in order to get the audio coming through the D-Zero. so you may try that.alternately you may also try turning off your amp/dac and unplugging then re-plugging in the WMport usb end to the Walkman,sometimes it takes a couple times,at least with mine.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,073 of 2,453

I found this cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Walkman-Digital-WM-Port-Degrees/dp/B00YWEHSQY/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1487194861&sr=1-8&keywords=sony+walkman+cable

I bought it but it doesn't work for me. There is a forum member that use it with his Z1 I think and it works with his Mojo but with my A35 it doesn't. Maybe with future firmware update it will but for now it doesn't.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #1,075 of 2,453
There seem to be too much minor issues with these A30 players. I have decided that it's not worth spending my money on, and will my current player (A845 walkman) use until its last breath in hopes for another one. I just want to point out also that the ZX100 is no longer listed in the prominent line-up on the Japan Sony website. You can access it if you click to view the full list. So apparently, the ZX100 will be phased out slowly.

When is the next tech show? The mobile world congress I reckon? Hmm, that's probably not the place to release a DAP, but you can never be sure.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,076 of 2,453
For those looking for Walkman port to line-out cables; I've bought this one a while ago http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Walkman-MP3-Player-WM-Port-LOD-Line-Out-Dock-To-Headphone-Amplifier-Adapter-/281118806230?hash=item4173fc90d6:g:v00AAOSwaB5XvB9f

It's very good quality, but you'll need to have a separate 3,5mm to 3,5mm cable to add to it. I can't comment on its durability since I rarely use it.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #1,077 of 2,453

did you experience this touble using the WMP-NWM10 ? also which IBasso Dac/Amp were you usingf?
I haven't purchased the WMP-NWM10 yet but plan to, but do use the (now discontinued) Fiio LF Line out docking cable and have found at times that in order to get the transport to begin through my iBasso D-Zero MKII i have to shut off and restart my Walkman (after switching from the Amp section to the DAC section) in order to get the audio coming through the D-Zero. so you may try that.alternately you may also try turning off your amp/dac and unplugging then re-plugging in the WMport usb end to the Walkman,sometimes it takes a couple times,at least with mine.

I bought it but it doesn't work for me. There is a forum member that use it with his Z1 I think and it works with his Mojo but with my A35 it doesn't. Maybe with future firmware update it will but for now it doesn't.

Sony has never officially supported LO via the wmport on any of its DAP's though it has worked on most of their DAP's including my A17.  I now have to wonder if they have changed the design of the  A30 series so that LO is not supported at all officially or unofficially.  After all until the WMP-WM10 cable Sony never offered their own wmport LO cable.  It took third party vendors like Fiio releasing the L5 cable to take advantage of LO.  
I have no idea about the WM series in terms of LO capabilities.

It seems to me that if you are primarily looking for a transport device there are much better options with proper LO capabilities.  If you are looking for an option in the same price range as the A30 series the Fiio A3-III might be a good option if you can afford to wait until it is released.  

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #1,078 of 2,453
I have a 128gb Sandisk card in my A35 and it works fine.

After a few days using the player I've noticed a couple of bugs:

- The back button does not always work when going from the tracks in an album back to the album list, sometimes it needs to be pressed up to three times.
- Albums by different artists but with the same title will be put into one album in the album view, and the album art of the first track will be displayed.

Other than that I've very happy with it.

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #1,079 of 2,453
  I have a 128gb Sandisk card in my A35 and it works fine.

After a few days using the player I've noticed a couple of bugs:

- The back button does not always work when going from the tracks in an album back to the album list, sometimes it needs to be pressed up to three times.
- Albums by different artists but with the same title will be put into one album in the album view, and the album art of the first track will be displayed.

Other than that I've very happy with it.

That's weird, I have 2 albums with same name and different artists, and the album arts are shown separately.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,080 of 2,453
  Sony has never officially supported LO via the wmport on any of its DAP's though it has worked on most of their DAP's including my A17.  I now have to wonder if they have changed the design of the  A30 series so that LO is not supported at all officially or unofficially.  After all until the WMP-WM10 cable Sony never offered their own wmport LO cable.  It took third party vendors like Fiio releasing the L5 cable to take advantage of LO.  
I have no idea about the WM series in terms of LO capabilities.

FWIW, the FiiO L5 cable works just fine with my NW-A35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back