SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Feb 13, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #1,051 of 2,453
  To write off an entire product because of one bad result doesn't make sense to me.  I read the microsd card professional reviews and the Samsung and Sandisk cards are usually at the top.  So if Samsung cards are questionable then every card manufacturer must produce questionable cards.  

Where are you buying your microsd cards?  Are you sure the cards are legitimate?  Are you transferring files in the player itself or with a card reader? 

I didn't write them all off.  I simply pointed out that Samsung apparently also makes bad cards.  No, I'm not using the player to transfer the files.

No, I'm not sure the cards are legitimate.  There's no way for anyone to be sure if they're legit.  They're not eBay purchases.  They were bought from a reputable online retailer (B&H).

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #1,053 of 2,453

I didn't write them all off.  I simply pointed out that Samsung apparently also makes bad cards.  No, I'm not using the player to transfer the files.

No, I'm not sure the cards are legitimate.  There's no way for anyone to be sure if they're legit.  They're not eBay purchases.  They were bought from a reputable online retailer (B&H).

H2testw, F3 and FakeFlashtest are free downloads that can help determine if a card is fake.  You can take a look at the product stamping on the card and compare it to images of legitimate cards to check for flaws or mistakes.  If you are interested here is a good link to check out http://www.happybison.com/reviews/how-to-check-and-spot-fake-micro-sd-card-8/

I haven't had to buy any microsd cards recently but given how widespread the problem is getting I will stick with local retailers to be safe.  Yes it will likely cost more than online but it is better for piece of mind.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #1,055 of 2,453

Anyone?

Direct Mode' is just an way to turn off all features at once,and while there is no direct mode on the A30 series you can still enable or disable each of the individual DSP features (and leave the EQ flat) and its the same result.check out the discussion about it on page 17 of this forum
http://www.head-fi.org/t/815843/new-sony-nw-a30-series/240#post_12954964

No, direct mode in the WM1 series means NO DSPs (no EQ, no DSEE, no audio+ etc)

wait... so you can't disable ClearAudio or whatever? or is this just a setting that lets you quickly disable everything?
blink.gif

(Direct Mode) is a quick ON/OFF switch for all DSP

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #1,056 of 2,453
  H2testw, F3 and FakeFlashtest are free downloads that can help determine if a card is fake.  You can take a look at the product stamping on the card and compare it to images of legitimate cards to check for flaws or mistakes.  If you are interested here is a good link to check out http://www.happybison.com/reviews/how-to-check-and-spot-fake-micro-sd-card-8/

I haven't had to buy any microsd cards recently but given how widespread the problem is getting I will stick with local retailers to be safe.  Yes it will likely cost more than online but it is better for piece of mind.

They can't really tell if it's fake.  They can tell if it doesn't have correctly working flash memory at the locations it tries to write, or enough of it.  Two of the 3 cards passed FakeFlashTest.  However, it doesn't write to every byte on the card.  The cards should fail H2testw (which writes to every byte) because they fail actual file writes to the entire card.  There are no visible signs that the cards are fake.  They aren't remarked smaller cards.  Everything looks correct.  It seems they're just defective.

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #1,058 of 2,453
Regarding the microSD cards, I have gotten fake Samsung cards from Amazon (sold by Amazon.com) before. Bought 4 cards from them but 1 of them looked visibly different (both product and packaging) from the other 3. Went online, did some search and found out they were fake. Used some tool (can't remember which) to test it too. So getting from reputable retailers may not be that safe after all.

Regarding the WMPort to microUSB cables, I'm pretty sure I have posted this before but I was told by a Chinese cable maker who makes such cables that the NWH10 cable contains a special chip which enables the Sony players to USB out into a DAC. Without the chip, it will only work with the PHA amps.

I used to have a cable which would work (already sold). They had to buy the NWH10 cable, cut the connector out to use for their cables. The cheapest cable they had was ~100USD.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #1,059 of 2,453
Regarding the microSD cards, I have gotten fake Samsung cards from Amazon (sold by Amazon.com) before. Bought 4 cards from them but 1 of them looked visibly different (both product and packaging) from the other 3. Went online, did some search and found out they were fake. Used some tool (can't remember which) to test it too. So getting from reputable retailers may not be that safe after all.

Sorry, but Amazon doesn't count as reputable here IMHO. There's a reason why I won't buy these kinds of products from them. Specifically they mix product inventory from all their "fulfilled by Amazon" sellers together along with their own. So, all it takes is one seller to inject fakes into the inventory pool and poison the well. You might get a real one, might get a fake.

I try to buy from reputable sellers with exclusive control of their own inventory. Clearly that hasn't done me any good so far though.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #1,060 of 2,453
  depending on where you live there are adapters , like this one for microusb to WMport
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-WMP-NWM10-Micro-USB-WM-Port-Plug-Adapter-/251641651748
as well as this 10cm data USB (not microUSB but standard) to WMport cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-Data-Charger-USB-Cable-for-Sony-Walkman-MP3-Player-X-A-S-E-series-w-WM-PORT-/290457246638

Thanks, I might try the adaptor and then use a micro usb otg to plug it to my Mojo and use it as a transport. I much prefer the Sony touch screen and interface than the Shanling M1 if I can find a cable.

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,061 of 2,453

Thanks, I might try the adaptor and then use a micro usb otg to plug it to my Mojo and use it as a transport. I much prefer the Sony touch screen and interface than the Shanling M1 if I can find a cable.

For me it didn't work (tried with an iBasso DAC/amp) Charging and connecting to the computer works, but no digital music signal out to the DAC.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #1,065 of 2,453
  Is it true that there's no direct mode for this like the higher end walkmans? No way to turn off the Sony DSP?

Yup, the A30 series don't feature the "Source Direct", maybe you can turn off the DSPs one by one

EDIT : I disenganged the sourced direct from my WM1A and have all DSP set to off and i note it sounds weird (i'm toggling the source direct ON/OFF)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back