SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Jan 25, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #871 of 2,453
My parents brought my blue A35 from Vietnam today and I have to say that I'm quite amaze by the quality built, UI and sound from that DAP. At that price range, it's quite phenomenal. I really like the lush yet punchy sound signature. Can't wait now to try it as transport for my Mojo. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #874 of 2,453
So, I bought this tempered glass from aliexpress

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

It's quite good and fits really well.  I like it :D

I can see latest Walkure album :D

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #875 of 2,453
Fron experience, I'd highly recommended or at least be careful when getting glass protectors from China. Cheap but the quality just isn't there. Some aren't even glass but is plastic with hard coating.

My friend bought a glass protector for his iPhone. When he accidentally dropped his phone, the screen cracked badly but the protector was intact.

Got to say there are still some legit one from China though. Like the original screen protector for my Xiaomi phone.

I'd still recommend that you get the glass protectors direct from Japan if possible.

If the description for the AliExpress one is true, then it should be pretty much OK since they mainly use imported materials.

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #876 of 2,453
Fron experience, I'd highly recommended or at least be careful when getting glass protectors from China. Cheap but the quality just isn't there. Some aren't even glass but is plastic with hard coating.

My friend bought a glass protector for his iPhone. When he accidentally dropped his phone, the screen cracked badly but the protector was intact.

Got to say there are still some legit one from China though. Like the original screen protector for my Xiaomi phone.

I'd still recommend that you get the glass protectors direct from Japan if possible.

If the description for the AliExpress one is true, then it should be pretty much OK since they mainly use imported materials.

Thanks for the warning.
The one I bought looks and feels like a good quality product, though.  It's good enough for me  ^_^

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #877 of 2,453

They're supposed to protect the screen from scratches, not against breakage when dropped.  How would something so thin stuck to the outside of the glass stop it from breaking whether it's glass or plastic?

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #878 of 2,453

They're supposed to protect the screen from scratches, not against breakage when dropped.  How would something so thin stuck to the outside of the glass stop it from breaking whether it's glass or plastic?

From what I know, glass protectors are supposed to protect the screen from breaking on impact.
Not sure what's the physics behind it but it seems that most people's experience with glass protectors suggest so too.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #879 of 2,453

They are called sacrificial glass. They absorb the impact energy and break instead of transferring the energy to the screen. Same way a helmet protects the wearer.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #880 of 2,453
Anymore feedback on the player? Hiss? Noise when changing tracks? Gapless on mp3?
My parents brought my blue A35 from Vietnam today and I have to say that I'm quite amaze by the quality built, UI and sound from that DAP. At that price range, it's quite phenomenal. I really like the lush yet punchy sound signature. Can't wait now to try it as transport for my Mojo. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #881 of 2,453
Anymore feedback on the player? Hiss? Noise when changing tracks? Gapless on mp3?

DHL delivered mine today so I will chime in.  Yes, it hisses with my Earwerkz Supra IEMs.  FWIW, they're extremely sensitive and hiss in pretty much everything though.  The hiss doesn't render the headphone output unusable like it does from most devices I've tried.  The hiss isn't that loud, so it's better than most.  With these IEMs I would not expect it to be noticeable in moderately noisy ambient environments like on a plane, train, car.

I didn't notice any noises in the output when changing tracks or navigating through the GUI or when the display turns off/on.

MP3 playback sure seems gapless to me.  I tried Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon it was flawless to my ears between tracks.  AAC playback was equally flawless/gapless when I tested with Dark Side of the Moon as well.

IMO, it's a very slick moderately sized portable audio player.  The high res display is very nice.  I'm very glad I stumbled across the NW-A35 at CES in the Sony booth.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #882 of 2,453
Thanks for the quick response
DHL delivered mine today so I will chime in.  Yes, it hisses with my Earwerkz Supra IEMs.  FWIW, they're extremely sensitive and hiss in pretty much everything though.  The hiss doesn't render the headphone output unusable like it does from most devices I've tried.  The hiss isn't that loud, so it's better than most.  With these IEMs I would not expect it to be noticeable in moderately noisy ambient environments like on a plane, train, car.

I didn't notice any noises in the output when changing tracks or navigating through the GUI or when the display turns off/on.

MP3 playback sure seems gapless to me.  I tried Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon it was flawless to my ears between tracks.  AAC playback was equally flawless/gapless when I tested with Dark Side of the Moon as well.

IMO, it's a very slick moderately sized portable audio player.  The high res display is very nice.  I'm very glad I stumbled across the NW-A35 at CES in the Sony booth.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #883 of 2,453
I tried out the Bluetooth audio between the NW-A35 and my SRS-XB3 Bluetooth speakers.  As reported elsewhere in the thread all the sound enhancements don't work over Bluetooth.  FWIW, the FM radio also won't work over Bluetooth.  The volume control on the player adjust the volume on the Bluetooth speakers showing + or - on the LCD display, but the numerical scale is not displayed playing back over Bluetooth. 

I have the player in a Sony CKS-NWA30 case.  I like the case.  It would be nice if the display turned on when the case was opened, but it doesn't do that.

The host PC can read from the player's internal storage at ~28MB/sec over USB.  Copying to the player's internal storage is ~26MB/sec over USB.  So it pretty much maxes out what USB 2.0 can do.  I haven't tested a microSD card yet, my 200GB Lexar was bad.
mad.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #884 of 2,453
  I tried out the Bluetooth audio between the NW-A35 and my SRS-XB3 Bluetooth speakers.  As reported elsewhere in the thread all the sound enhancements don't work over Bluetooth.  FWIW, the FM radio also won't work over Bluetooth.  The volume control on the player adjust the volume on the Bluetooth speakers showing + or - on the LCD display, but the numerical scale is not displayed playing back over Bluetooth. 

I have the player in a Sony CKS-NWA30 case.  I like the case.  It would be nice if the display turned on when the case was opened, but it doesn't do that.

The host PC can read from the player's internal storage at ~28MB/sec over USB.  Copying to the player's internal storage is ~26MB/sec over USB.  So it pretty much maxes out what USB 2.0 can do.  I haven't tested a microSD card yet, my 200GB Lexar was bad.
mad.gif

​Get either Samsung or SanDisk

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #885 of 2,453
  Get either Samsung or SanDisk

Well, the Lexar is 200GB, not 196GB like SanDisk and I wanted those extra 4GB.
tongue.gif
  The Samsung is more then 2x as much money for an extra 56GB.
blink.gif
  Hopefully the replacement unit being sent to me will work okay.  The first one had bad/damaged flash for about the first 4GB of it.

I'll get my 64gB Samsung Pro out of my Sansa Fuze later and try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back