SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Jan 1, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #691 of 2,453
The 64GB version, NW-A37HN, is now available on the Russian market. I just ordered it today for $345 (with a 17% discount to their regular price, which they are offering during the Russian NY/Christmas holiday season). Should get it delivered tomorrow (I am currently in Moscow).

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #692 of 2,453
Ok thanks! Will be in Japan on Monday will try this out.
smily_headphones1.gif

May i know does the A35 works with the dragonfly red by using the sony property digital out cable? 

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #693 of 2,453

After a lot of reading on the net, finally decided to get the NW-A35. I was trying to get X3 II. But when I heard about the X5 III, I wanted to wait for the same.

But being a newbie and not tried my hands on any lossless DAP, I decided to take a plunge with Sony and the excellent reviews I read about the A10, A20 series.

The reason for choosing this one over the A25 was purely based on the fact that A35 is their latest product, though there are not as many reviews available yet. Got it for $230 equivalent from Sony Center shop nearby my area.

My first impression is that it is definitely good and I am still trying to figure out the settings that are best suited for my taste. One interesting observation is that it has a dedicated option for Hi-Res Audio and sadly not all my FLAC files were getting listed. Later I found that only 24/192 type files were getting listed under this menu and the letters FLAC were showing up in yellow. While playing a tiny HR icon in yellow popped up. For other FLAC files no such indication came up.

The UI is good and not feeling laggy. At least it is not annoying. The card reading is fast enough. My 64gb Sandisk Micro SD card has 55gb of FLAC and MP3 files. I don't have a 128gb card as yet to try this.

Now I am in the process of training my ears for better experience.

I have a Bose Sport IE2 in ear headphone as well as a Bose QC35 and a Bose Soundlink II. BT pairing was fast. However, the quality was a just ok and definitely not exceptional. Is it due to the fact that these are not-LDAC devices? Would the quality be better with Sony Hi-Res head phones? I don't want to fall for just a marketing gimmick from Sony. Wondering if the AptX would have made a difference.

What is the capacitor warming up that everyone is talking about? Does the sound quality improve after 50-60hrs of playback? Please educate me.

PS: That is my poor job on the anti scratch film :D

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #694 of 2,453
You try using it with cable plugged in with QC35.

LDAC
http://www.sony.net/Products/LDAC/

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #695 of 2,453
Sure. I will try that tonight. 

BTW, charging through USB port is a bit slow. Has anyone tried any mobile USB chargers (like Samsung ones) to charge this device? If so, what is the amp rating that was used? 

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #698 of 2,453
  Sure. I will try that tonight. 

BTW, charging through USB port is a bit slow. Has anyone tried any mobile USB chargers (like Samsung ones) to charge this device? If so, what is the amp rating that was used? 

Used an Aukey QC 2.0 charger rated up to 2A 12V

used a in line tester, it operates at 5v (meaning it dosnt support qualcomm quickcharge, not that i expected it to) and it charges at around 0 650-700mAh.

another interesting fact, with my PM4´s i had electrical noise while listening and charging at the same time.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #699 of 2,453
Too late to order from  accessory jack right now?  Thinking if there will be any delays for Chinese New Year.

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #700 of 2,453
ok, quick lesson on why charging through your computer USB ports is SLOW.

Most daps are USB 2.0, Mini and Micro USB are designed to run usb 2.0. the only DAP i know of that uses USB Type C is the Shanling M1 and i´ve seen devices like the Xiaomi Mi4c that have a phisical USB C port connected to a usb 2.0 logical interface so thats not a strong indicator too.

PC´s will top out at 550mA when plugged in to a usb 2.0 device, add to that a dirty little secret... that motherboard you bought with 8-10 USB ports and you can add another 8 through headers ? Its really got 2-4 usb ports and each is hubbed to 3-4 ports.

and that 550mA figure ? its per PORT, not per hub. so if a origin port is hubbed to four, and you have a bluetooth dongle sucking up 200mA, theres only 350mA to go around for the rest of the ports on that hub.

Most decent chargers have chip that tells cellphones and other usb devices that they can use more power, therefore the sony can charge at 700mA instead of the 550mA usb 2.0 tops out at.

now this is 700mA at 5 volt (or 3.5 Watt/hour)
and we know Watt/hour = Volt X Amps/hour

So the sony is charging its lithium battery which is usualy between 3.8v and 4.2v off a 5v current. you would actually have to do the equivalent amps at the specific voltage the batter works at... Or like any decent manufacturer actually put how many W/h the battery has instead of having us stupid people do the math between different voltage.

Just a small additional detail. Some usb chargers arent up to spec... i had this lenovo charger that i thought was the dogs bollocks (if you excuse me being crude) it was the fastest charger i  owned, until i actually checked what made it so kick ass with a usb analizer, it was feeding devices the correct amperage, but at 5.4v instead of 5.0,
Now a good usb charger... under load might go to anything between high 4.8 and a low 5.2, but this was a high 5.4 (5.48 if i recall correctly) and that was too close for comfort and could really shorten the lives of your devices. i keep it aside as my "emergency" charger for when the battery exploding is a acceptable risk :p

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #701 of 2,453
any idea if it is possible to "install" a L-R channel balance for those who have impaired hearing on the A30 series?

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #703 of 2,453

any idea if it is possible to "install" a L-R channel balance for those who have impaired hearing on the A30 series?

My WM1A Has one is located under Output settings, maybe ask tenedosian to check it out for you, but both having same os why shouldnt A35 not have it?

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #704 of 2,453
  ok, quick lesson on why charging through your computer USB ports is SLOW.

Most daps are USB 2.0, Mini and Micro USB are designed to run usb 2.0. the only DAP i know of that uses USB Type C is the Shanling M1 and i´ve seen devices like the Xiaomi Mi4c that have a phisical USB C port connected to a usb 2.0 logical interface so thats not a strong indicator too.

PC´s will top out at 550mA when plugged in to a usb 2.0 device, add to that a dirty little secret... that motherboard you bought with 8-10 USB ports and you can add another 8 through headers ? Its really got 2-4 usb ports and each is hubbed to 3-4 ports.

and that 550mA figure ? its per PORT, not per hub. so if a origin port is hubbed to four, and you have a bluetooth dongle sucking up 200mA, theres only 350mA to go around for the rest of the ports on that hub.

Most decent chargers have chip that tells cellphones and other usb devices that they can use more power, therefore the sony can charge at 700mA instead of the 550mA usb 2.0 tops out at.

now this is 700mA at 5 volt (or 3.5 Watt/hour)
and we know Watt/hour = Volt X Amps/hour

So the sony is charging its lithium battery which is usualy between 3.8v and 4.2v off a 5v current. you would actually have to do the equivalent amps at the specific voltage the batter works at... Or like any decent manufacturer actually put how many W/h the battery has instead of having us stupid people do the math between different voltage.

Just a small additional detail. Some usb chargers arent up to spec... i had this lenovo charger that i thought was the dogs bollocks (if you excuse me being crude) it was the fastest charger i  owned, until i actually checked what made it so kick ass with a usb analizer, it was feeding devices the correct amperage, but at 5.4v instead of 5.0,
Now a good usb charger... under load might go to anything between high 4.8 and a low 5.2, but this was a high 5.4 (5.48 if i recall correctly) and that was too close for comfort and could really shorten the lives of your devices. i keep it aside as my "emergency" charger for when the battery exploding is a acceptable risk :p

My home built computer with USB 3.0 ports and multiple devices connected is no slower charging than my dedicated wall charger and well within the specs stated by Sony.   Not really a concern for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back