SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Dec 26, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #676 of 2,453
  Where did you buy yours ? I ask because I didnt get that card to download music lol 

Last year I bought the A25 in Thailand - got the card. This year I bought the A35 in Malaysia - no card. Go figure
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #677 of 2,453
Converting FLAC and other albums in lossless formats to lossy AAC for gapless
playback (with no pauses) on players Sony series A10, A20, A30, ZX100. All tags and
album art will be stored.

This guide with screenshots is located at https://yadi.sk/d/fYwLTC1m32wcC7

What is it for? To reduce the file size. Also on the less lossy formats
spent battery. Gapless is an ability play entire albums without pauses. Vivid examples -
concert recordings, Pink Floyd's albums. The Sony players does not play gapless MP3.
Sony players are able to play gapless FLAC and ALAC, which take up a lot
space.

FWIW, I'm listening to Duke Ellington's 1959 Newport concert in mp3 format on the A35 and it plays gapless. Maybe I'm doing something wrong
gs1000.gif

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #680 of 2,453
If someone else could comment on the mp3 gapless situation that would be great.  Trying to decide on a new player atm and is doing my head in.  Also if anyone knows when sony intend to release this to the rest of the world at some point that would be appreciated, otherwise that will mean importing from accessory jack.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #683 of 2,453
MP3 is indeed gapless for me.
On a side note, is it better to leave it on standby or turn it off? I've only gotten 4 hours of playback with 2 bars of battery gone on a36.

Always best to turn off you A36 when not using it to prolong battery life. If you leave it in standby it will definitely use more battery life.  Also to prolong battery life turn off NFC when not using it and reduce the screen brightness as much as possible.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #684 of 2,453
Always best to turn off you A36 when not using it to prolong battery life. If you leave it in standby it will definitely use more battery life.  Also to prolong battery life turn off NFC when not using it and reduce the screen brightness as much as possible.
Yeah man, I am using the lowest brightness and turned nfc off. Guess must be clear audio+ squeezing my juice.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #686 of 2,453
Can someone explain the "charge to 90% to prolong battery life" option? I've never heard of this before and would assume charging to 100% would be better for battery longevity since it won't be charging as often.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #688 of 2,453
Can someone explain the "charge to 90% to prolong battery life" option? I've never heard of this before and would assume charging to 100% would be better for battery longevity since it won't be charging as often.

Maybe to prevent it from overcharging. A battery can overcharge and it can result to bloated battery or explosion/fire(rare case).

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #689 of 2,453

Actually is to prevent battery from completing cycle.

A complete cycle is where u charge to max from low batt.

Just charge anytime you want to. Nowadays the batt is same as mobile.

Never let the battery get totally drained. Also not let it max till 100%

Probably 90+ is enough. That's why that function existed.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #690 of 2,453
Actually is to prevent battery from completing cycle.

A complete cycle is where u charge to max from low batt.

Just charge anytime you want to. Nowadays the batt is same as mobile.

Never let the battery get totally drained. Also not let it max till 100%

Probably 90+ is enough. That's why that function existed.

Actually as far as draining the battery Sony recommends letting it fully drain once a month or so (until the unit shuts off) to keep the battery indicator accurate.  Constantly charging and discharging to different levels can cause the battery life indicator to get out of whack.   Sony states that charging to 90% instead of 100% may increase the life of the battery but no guarantee.

I have found however  that the battery care 90% charge function reduces battery life by more than 10% per charge on my A17.  When I let the battery drain until the unit shuts off and then fully charge with battery care off I get better than 36 hours of battery life with normal use.  When I do the same thing with battery care turned I only get about 24 hours of battery life under the same conditions.

I should only be losing maybe 4 hours with batter care turned on not 12 hours.  I hope Sony does a better job with battery care management on the newer models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back