SONY NW-A20 SERIES
Dec 13, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #197 of 430
Picked up an A25 to play with today, I want to see how Sony's entry level Walkman are these days.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #198 of 430
Picked up an A25 to play with today, I want to see how Sony's entry level Walkman are these days.

And what did you think? My DX50 finally kicked the bucket so I need a new DAP. I tried one of these NW-A25 today at my local shop and the build quality and materials feel fantastic, especially coming from the bulky iBasso. Unfortunately the song selection on the device was meh, a bunch of Japanese pop, so I couldn't get a handle on the sound quality.

Any input is appreciated. I can't decide what to get. I certainly like the feel of this over the Fiio X3, but I want the best sound quality for my money.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #199 of 430
And what did you think? My DX50 finally kicked the bucket so I need a new DAP. I tried one of these NW-A25 today at my local shop and the build quality and materials feel fantastic, especially coming from the bulky iBasso. Unfortunately the song selection on the device was meh, a bunch of Japanese pop, so I couldn't get a handle on the sound quality.

Any input is appreciated. I can't decide what to get. I certainly like the feel of this over the Fiio X3, but I want the best sound quality for my money.

Will know in the next few days, my A25 hasn't arrived yet.
smile.gif

I'm not expecting anything too over performing, perhaps interested in comparing to the $110 XDuoo X3 which is more an audiophile player than in the mainstream (and cheaper). I have enjoyed most Sony Walkmans I've owned previously.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #200 of 430
oh nice, new xduoo, been curious about those- though calling it an "audiophile player" i take that as a euphamism for "horrible interface, crashes frequently"
biggrin.gif
still... I do need something to replace my latest slowly dying clip+...

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #201 of 430

When you compare with XDuoo X3, can you do a quick take of Sony's Clear Audio+ digital signal processing against any DSP XDuoo X3 has? Would be keen to know as the dual SD xduoo feature is speaking to me, but I'm loving the clear audio+. And, good job for doing this

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #202 of 430
When you compare with XDuoo X3, can you do a quick take of Sony's Clear Audio+ digital signal processing against any DSP XDuoo X3 has? Would be keen to know as the dual SD xduoo feature is speaking to me, but I'm loving the clear audio+. And, good job for doing this

Sure, I think somebody already mentioned in the XDuoo thread they preferred XDuoo X3 over A15, though we will see. The Sony has much better battery life.

oh nice, new xduoo, been curious about those- though calling it an "audiophile player" i take that as a euphamism for "horrible interface, crashes frequently" :D still... I do need something to replace my latest slowly dying clip+...

Its actually really stable on its first firmware, you can find my review. Not the usual half bake scenario. :)

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #203 of 430
Its actually really stable on its first firmware, you can find my review. Not the usual half bake scenario.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice review, looks like a winner ( I can always glue a fridge magnet clip on the back )
beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #204 of 430
I have been comparing XDuoo X3 to Sony A25 Walkman.

The outcome is pretty much as I anticipated.

Between the two I find the Sony to sound more congested, less air, less stage and softer texture to the music, its certainly a 'mainstream' friendly device soundwise if not a little coloured, almost like that Sony house sound is always present. The XDuoo sounds quite a bit cleaner, 'clearer' and more dynamic, its stage is obviously wider with more air and snappy treble presence.

The main areas that stand out are XDuoo X3 is more detailed in an effortless sense, it doesn't struggle to reveal detail or express dynamics and sounds very 'clear'. Areas like separation are noticeably ahead of the Sony. Its pretty easy to pick out the XDuoo X3 being a level higher in sound without really thinking too hard.

The IEM used was Fidue A83.

I still think the Sony is a great looking functional unit, but it cannot keep up with what some Chinese audiophile focused companies have to offer imo.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #205 of 430
Now they just need a resume function and I'm sold lol... uggh, here's hoping one of these days they make something that can Rockbox.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #206 of 430
  Now they just need a resume function and I'm sold lol... uggh, here's hoping one of these days they make something that can Rockbox.

I've spent some more time with the A25.

I can appreciate the design, build and appearance, in person the viridian blue color is gorgeous, really stands out looking classy if not a little gimmicky. Just the sound isn't on a level I find adequate. I think I should elaborate the sound of A25 is not satisfactory 'for me' at the levels I'm seeking after being in the hobby a few years, I imagine many people (and as A15 series has proven) will and do love it. I can absolutely appreciate what Sony have done adding external storage, hi-res file support but it just doesn't sound on a level I perceive fitting.

I will probably play with this A25 a few days then move it on, like I said a few posts up I only wanted to test the water levels and check out the performance. If I wanted to use A25 on the go with its great battery life and modern design I would be more than happy, though I seek broader than it offers.

Btw, the XDuoo X3 does have a resume feature each startup, but you won't find gapless and a few other things.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #207 of 430

I can appreciate the design, build and appearance, in person the viridian blue color is gorgeous, really stands out looking classy if not a little gimmicky. Just the sound isn't on a level I find adequate. I think I should elaborate the sound of A25 is not satisfactory 'for me' at the levels I'm seeking after being in the hobby a few years, I imagine many people (and as A15 series has proven) will and do love it. I can absolutely appreciate what Sony have done adding external storage, hi-res file support but it just doesn't sound on a level I perceive fitting.

Maybe you didn't pair your A25 with the right iem? Don't know, just sayin'.

I find the A10 (which should sound identical to A20 series from what I've read) sounds very detailed paired with my Z5's. My H3's paired with the same DAP doesn't sound too bad either - maybe a little harsh on the highs but nothing a little EQing won't fix .

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #208 of 430

I will probably play with this A25 a few days then move it on, like I said a few posts up I only wanted to test the water levels and check out the performance. If I wanted to use A25 on the go with its great battery life and modern design I would be more than happy, though I seek broader than it offers.

Btw, the XDuoo X3 does have a resume feature each startup, but you won't find gapless and a few other things.

which IEM did you try it with? try with some XBA-A3 or Z5 iems from sony and you'll see, also try the NW-ZX100 , a bit more expensive, but wortht eh SQ is a big leap from the A17/A20 series

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #209 of 430
I have been comparing XDuoo X3 to Sony A25 Walkman.

The outcome is pretty much as I anticipated.

Between the two I find the Sony to sound more congested, less air, less stage and softer texture to the music, its certainly a 'mainstream' friendly device soundwise if not a little coloured, almost like that Sony house sound is always present. The XDuoo sounds quite a bit cleaner, 'clearer' and more dynamic, its stage is obviously wider with more air and snappy treble presence.

The main areas that stand out are XDuoo X3 is more detailed in an effortless sense, it doesn't struggle to reveal detail or express dynamics and sounds very 'clear'. Areas like separation are noticeably ahead of the Sony. Its pretty easy to pick out the XDuoo X3 being a level higher in sound without really thinking too hard.

The IEM used was Fidue A83.

I still think the Sony is a great looking functional unit, but it cannot keep up with what some Chinese audiophile focused companies have to offer imo.

Great comparison, and good picture showing the two visually side to side.

Can you try comparing the DSP (Clear Audio+) switched on the Sony with the X3?

What about battery life in real terms any significant difference?

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #210 of 430
Got mine recently. :) Currently pairing with my Fidelio X2s. Here are my impressions after several hours :

Dynamic impact is great. Soundstage is better than my old ipod touch. Slight warm tilt makes it sound thicker with slight absence of air.

Functionality wise, very easy to use. Enhancements(DSEE, ClearAudio+) are great to have too.

Pretty much OK so far :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back