Sony MDRv6 vs Koss DJ100
Mar 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

legolas52

Head-Fier
I'm kind of deciding between these phones. Could anyone who has these phones describe their differences in:

- Comfort, namely size and depth of ear cups and clamping force (I am thinking of replacing stock pads with Beyers or Pearstone)
- Bass and other sound quality factors
- Design and durability

My main use is for casual listening (alt. rock mostly, some rock, r & b, dance music) and comfort is my biggest priority (it's hard to beat the comfort and quality of the KSC-75's!)

MDRv6 seems kind of hard to buy nowadays. It seems to have been replaced by the X700. Unfortunately those phones aren't foldable.

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 11
The V6 pads are a weird mix of on ear and over the ear. For most, they will touch the ears and not fully surround them.

The V6 has more mid-bass than the DJ100 and it really sticks out like a sore thumb..not a fan of it's bloated mid-bass. The DJ100 has very good bass, but it's not bass heavy. I would say neutral bass that's very slightly emphasized. It has decent sub-bass too.

DJ100 also has less treble, but it's easier on the ears. Much more forward mids for sure, but still fairly well balanced.

I compared the 7506 and DJ100 in the past and the 7506 couldn't really hold up very well. The 7506 is a bit easier to drive though.

V6 and 7506 are supposedly the same, but 7506 seems slightly better. Did seem to have better mids.

Despite the forward mids of the DJ100, it definitely feels more balanced sounding. I can't understand why people say the V6 is neutral! Sure..maybe in the graphs..

BTW IMO the 7506 is a far better headphone than the ZX700. Didn't like that one much..

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for your reply tdockweiler! I'm a little partial to Koss as well (amazing warranty, and they seem to make cheap and usually good quality phones). 

Would you say that the DJ100 surrounds the ear more than the DJ100s? Just curious, what didn't you like about the ZX700s?

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 11
I can second what tdockweiler is saying, DJ100 far better and yeah it does surround the ear more than the V6 but both have shallow ear cups. Most users here prefer the comfort of the M50 pads. Although it vastly improves the sound quality, it also loses some of its sound signature, which I prefer. I've just put some rolled up tissue under the pads which allow more room for your ears. I still enjoy the V6 for Electronic but nothing else. Not sure what your going to be using it for but the V6 are a very easy can to drive, where as the DJ100 needs an amp. Ask tdockweiler he's the expert on these headphone. I bought mine a year ago on his recommendation.

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 11
Hey tdockweiler !  Just got my DJ100's today with M50 pads.   I am loving them!!!!  Finally a headphone in which I apprciate the diffrent qualities of that compared to an M50.  
I totally agree that the detail retrieval is quite outstanding, im most definitely hearing drums and vocals clearer than on the M50's.. The mids are quite outstanding. Very unfatigueing.  

Definitively not as dynamic as the M50's, but for diffrent genres this thing shines.

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 11
I would pick the sony all day over the koss dj100. I bought the koss and had it up for sale a week later. It sounded hollow and metallic and squeezed my head like an acorn...my2c

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 11
I would pick the V6 as well... although the DJ100 was more refined, i felt the mids were a bit too forward for my liking...but i think it boils down to your preferences

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I would pick the sony all day over the koss dj100. I bought the koss and had it up for sale a week later. It sounded hollow and metallic and squeezed my head like an acorn...my2c

I know why it sounded that way, but it doesn't matter. People will say I don't know what I'm talking about.
Due to the titanium driver, SOME pairs need a week of use. I guess it's due to the stiffness of the driver and that it needs to break in.
It's too bad you didn't give it a longer try. I guarantee your opinion would have changed.

I've had around 4 pairs and a few of them sounded bad out of the box. The others were perfect.

The clamping force goes away after use. Even for my smaller head it had some clamping force. Not much of it no

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
I would pick the V6 as well... although the DJ100 was more refined, i felt the mids were a bit too forward for my liking...but i think it boils down to your preferences

yep, all goes by preference. V6 if you require more (bloated) mid-bass and more treble. DJ100 if you want more forward mids and better sub-bass.
DJ100 (or V6) probably won't satisfy bassheads.

I actually think the DJ100 has less forward mids than my HD-580. It does have quite forward upper mids. Some are sensitive to this. When I listen to it, nothing really jumps out at me too much.

I would say it's fairly well balanced, but slightly leaning to a fun and engaging signature. It's mids are about as addicting as those of the SR-225. Haven't compared them side by side, but I loved the 225i.

BTW I actually find the DJ100 more balanced than the V6. V6 seemed more V-shape slightly and there is a slight recession in the mids somewhere. Of course I think the 7506 sounds different...

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Hey tdockweiler !  Just got my DJ100's today with M50 pads.   I am loving them!!!!  Finally a headphone in which I apprciate the diffrent qualities of that compared to an M50.  
I totally agree that the detail retrieval is quite outstanding, im most definitely hearing drums and vocals clearer than on the M50's.. The mids are quite outstanding. Very unfatigueing.  

Definitively not as dynamic as the M50's, but for diffrent genres this thing shines.

Guess I could do multi-quote. Oh well. Good to hear someone else loves them. Like a Grado, it's certainly not a headphone for everyone. DJ100 for me is just so much fun to listen to and it's forward mids don't bother me. It's treble is less extended than the M50 perhaps. Actually, 2nd best thing about the DJ100 for me is it's bass. I would say it's fairly neutral, if not slightly elevated. Seems to go down pretty low. DJ100 is amazing for female vocals and acoustic music.

Hopefully you can give them a good week to see if they improve or your opinion changes. I'm willing to bet they will even get better! It seems the soundstage gets even larger with a good DAC. I love the HRT MSII for them.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #11 of 11
I bought them based on your review. But they were well broken in so it wasn't burn in. Believe me, you don't have to convince me about burn in...I'm a believer. But no hard feelings. I wanted to try them out but they just weren't for me.

Quote:
I know why it sounded that way, but it doesn't matter. People will say I don't know what I'm talking about.
Due to the titanium driver, SOME pairs need a week of use. I guess it's due to the stiffness of the driver and that it needs to break in.
It's too bad you didn't give it a longer try. I guarantee your opinion would have changed.

I've had around 4 pairs and a few of them sounded bad out of the box. The others were perfect.

The clamping force goes away after use. Even for my smaller head it had some clamping force. Not much of it no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back