Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Jun 26, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #76 of 392
I ended up picking up the 1ABT's. Some impressions

comfort - yup as everyone has said, these are stinking comfortable. I forgot I was wearing them a few times during the course of the first 4 hours I had them on.

isolation - mediocre to poor. This goes both ways, in that it doesn't block out exterior noise nor does it keep what I'm listening through them very private. Guess this is the cost for "pillowy" ear pads. I'm going to try getting velour pads from either the M50x or the Beyer DT250 and see if it helps in this regard. I also did experience the sweaty pads phenomena with the stock pads so hopefully a swap will help

controls - not a huge fan of the touch controls. I think I need to get used to them, but so far they have been wholly inaccurate. Takes me a few tries to skip tracks or raise volume. Would prefer a tactile indication that my gesture did something, especially the volume control. 

sound - I like the sound of them. Somewhat V shaped, its a bit of a fun signature with a lot down low and the high's rolled off a bit to avoid fatigue. Its definitely not a studio monitor or anything like that, but it is a really fun sound. Something I can just rock out to and not be too critical or think too much. 

comparisons - the other two BT headphones I have/had are the Sony XB950BT and Pendulumic Stance S1+. Compared to the XB950BT, these are a class above. The XB950BT always sounded a bit dull/congested to me. Even with the dynamat mods and EQ coulnd't really get them to sing. The 1ABT have a significantly better sound stage and a much better controlled bass response. Isolation wise, the XB950BT are a bit better, even though they seem to have the same pads as the 1ABT? Comfort is similar, but the 1ABT is better because its lighter. Less sweaty pads with the 1ABT than the XB950BT. Compared to the S1+, basically the 1ABT takes the excellent highs and mids of the Pendulumic and adds in a healthy bass response. The Stance s1+ to me sounded full, but lacked the bass rumble. Like it only went down to 150hz or so and nothing below that. the 1ABT fixes that. I still like the controls and the looks of the Pendulumic better, but comfort and sound go to the 1ABT

Overall I think the MDR-1ABT is money well spent. I will be keeping them. 
BTW if anyone is looking to pick up a pair, I got mine from e global central. They are selling them at a really good price with free shipping. I am in no way affiliated with them, just wanted to share a killer deal

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #78 of 392
Got to my door in 2 business days. Just as fast as amazon prime even though it had to come all the way from hong kong to california

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #83 of 392
I waited until Amazon Prime had the Sony 1ABT in stock before I purchased.  I got them  from Amazon Prime for $399.99.. 

They arrived yesterday..I also have the MK2s, and the Senn M2 Wireless.

Now, t he Senn M2 Wireless are about 3 months old, they are keepers. They outdid my Sony MDR 1RBT MK2s, and  the Deft Tech Symphony 1 to my  ears.. 

Right now, laughing, I have had the Sony 1ABTs on for about an hour, hardly time to evaluate.. But, the main reason I waited until they were available on Amazon Prime was because of their no hassle return. At this moment, playing flac off my Note 4, the Sony 1ABT, sounds ordinary, not even as good as my Mk2, and surely not my Senn M2.. However, this is just over an hour. Going to give time to burn in, different music, and different sources.. BTW, I also have the Sony NWZ A17, that arrived at the same time the Sony A1BT. Something with those two with LDAC supposed to be good. Will try that too.

One thing I did notice, hopefully not off topic, but the Sony NWZ A17, when I plugged my  Sony MDR 1RBT MK2 into the Sony NWZ A17, playing the same flac as on my Note 4, the A17 with the MK2 sound better than the Note 4 playing flac.. Could be the wired connection, because most of the time, playing off my Note 4 I am bluetooth. So many variables and I am an slow old man too.. In about 2 weeks, I will know if the Sony 1ABT are worth keeping. By that time, I will have tried them with all sources, wired and bluetooth, and LDAC too.

Jul 6, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #84 of 392
   Something with those two with LDAC supposed to be good. Will try that too.

Would you be able to try LDAC with some hi-res material?  In theory, LDAC may not make much difference over AptX with RedBook CDs.  I recall that you were going to use DSD for this purpose, which should work well for well-mastered acoustic, jazz or classical recordings, and not so much for rock, electronica or r'n'b, where you're unlikely to hear any difference.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #85 of 392
Hi,
this is my first post. Greetings for all audiophiles!

Buy MDR-1ABT headphones, SILVER, and what i say. For me total dissapointment. Samsung S5, three day of using, lots of music, any kind. Quick explain. And this is maybe because i take unfortunately factory bad unit. And i'm not a pro, never use BT, use denon and sennheiser H-P before and my quick review is just my personal opinion after few days of using. So...

Design-ok, fair enough, nice.

Connectivity-fast and without problem. With BT or NFC same thing, fast and without lost connection. Works thru on my all apartment. But this is trap! For new top end headphones SONY deliver just 3.0 BT technology. On some reviews all talking about 4.0 but this is not true. I see that when my package come. Now i know why on SONY site not can read nothing about BT version, lots of words but secretly we can't read this infos. SONY shame on you!!! So, BT is 3.0.

Touch control pad-nice feature but annoying. All time make mistake, and do it what you don't want. Pause play or return to start song..annoying. Another problem is microphone. Unusable on open. Hmmm, unusable in close...yes, mic is unusable for telephone talking. Work but not good, no one hear you, need to saying few time to other side hear you. On street is total unusable.

Sound-this is my first BT set, and first Sony headphones. I'm not superman like some people with supersonic mega ultra ears and cannot talk on this way about butterfly wings on flowers :D but i can say, sound is good. Enough bass, enough mids and higs. Have good MP3, and S5 play well so feel is like i say, good. I like bass and this headphones deliver enough bass for all kind of music. Score is like i say, enough. Nothing bad, nothing special. Play good but i expect to be a louder. Ok, it's not quiet but i really expect to be a louder. Maybe it is but on S5 is not.

Noise cancellation-poor to annoying. Total useless on walk if windy or in metro. Hear any kind of noise and sound level is dropped low. I know, 1ABT does not have NC, but noise isolation of outer sound is really poor.

And now i say because i wait deliver boy tommorow to back this headphones back.

First is a really cheap and unexpectable quality fake leather ear pads and head pads. For this price level and top end headphones Sony sell fake horror s..t leather on all pads. Feel under fingers is horrible and i think to be ruins really soon. Totally disappointed about that. I say, this is maybe factory fail, but after 3 days of use, pads look like after year. Total uncomfortably for me, ears start hurt after 10 15 mins. Like not enough sponge in pads (factory fail). I don't know hot to describe that. Not have big head or ears but this is really uncomfortable for me. I put photo of this horrible non leather ear pads. SONY, this is really disappointed from you. And for this price.

So, earpads quality like cheap chinese product, with annoying unused in open spaces or noise environment, poor tel mic, with realy realy horror fake leather, and old BT sistem (3.0 not 4.0) i make reback this headphones and try to find another disco for my head. Sry for english, i just want to share my experience with 1ABT headset.

p.s. sorry, cannot put picture yet

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #86 of 392
I found same problem with ear pads here. I think to SONY have realy big problem with Malasya factory quality control!!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746966/mdr-1abt#post_11355390

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #87 of 392
   old BT sistem (3.0 not 4.0)

A lot of people make the same mistake.  3.0 is not old since 4.0 (and 4.1) was developed specifically for smart devices / internet of things and has absolutely no bearing on the sound.

You shouldn't worry about the BT version numbers, just the number of kilobits per second passed to the headphones over the air, and number of hours you can get out of the battery.  These Sony's blow away all of their competition out of the water on both counts as they support up to 990 kbps (over LDAC) and up to 30 hours of battery life.  This means that there is no compelling technical reason for Sony to implement BT 4.0 other than to satisfy people who think that "4 must be better than 3". 
smily_headphones1.gif

So, earpads quality like cheap chinese product

Interesting experience with the pads.  I have the previous version (MDR-1RBTMK2) that has a very similar design and they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned.  And I actually prefer the luxurious faux leather pads on these as I think they wear better than real leather.

The MDR-1A that, I believe, use the same 'chassis' as the 1ABT and, I can only presume, are made at the same factory, have the same reputation for stellar build quality and comfort.  So I'm not quite sure if this is related to a really bad (and rare?) case of quality control, or simply unmet expectations simply due specific personal preferences.  I guess this is where a picture would help answer this question.

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #88 of 392
I agree with your BT explanation, and say, i'm not BT pro user and i just read spec..3.0..if other company use 4.1 i think this 3.0 is old. amateur speaking :) Connection is fast, not problem and works fine, not try with LDAC device, but with S5 works fine. But this is just 3.0 BT version. Fact. Wiki say about BT here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

For pads, what i can say..this is not pads what i expect for top end ultra mega super headphones :D And of course, for this price. Again i say, i think this is factory manufactured fail and i not have luck and recieved bad headphones...but i'm not alone with this luck i see...i realy expect for this money top quality of all parts, not just BT connectivity or sound.

Another thing what i forgot to write, is tendency to sweat. So, after all, score is not good for Sony from me. Sorry Sony, we will again on some another product...maybe :D

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #89 of 392
How is the internal amp while using LDAC?

Is the maximum volume more than sufficient? Any distortion at high volumes?

If this thing is a legit wireless replacement for a DAC and amp, I'll buy it.

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #90 of 392
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on these, but I dislike V-shaped stuff. I prefer more neutral and realistically detailed....yet all the cramped technologies make me want to buy it. I suggest however if owning ZX2.

ZX2 uses S-Master HX or (high definition HD). VS this headphones S-Master (regular).....so using Bletooth connectivity, your sound quality has already been degraded ! It doesn't matter how well the digital info were transported wirelessly, but it matter about what decoded it and convert it to Analog signal.

Even with wired connection, there are some sub-transient details that won't be revealed until using TRRS, high and pure quality cables with good IEMS to reveal....

I really doubt this one was made for audiophile quality, but more like smartphones/tablets folk. As none of the smartphone/tablets Sony has, which utilize the new encoding LDAC feature, that has the S-Master technologies in it. So by pairing this 1ABT to those, you gain some upgrades, but if you pair with ZX2, that is considered down grade. However, I suggest that if you use it via wired connection + TRRS balanced cable with ZX2, you will hear sound quality differences as in 2 different sound signatures. This is based on the fact of two different hardware from S-Master, and this is what I like. It really seems that the built in S-Master on 1ABT was tuned for V-shape, and the wired one will be just pure hard connection like 1A.

I wish someone could have review it in these ways. But it seems that I have to skip these and wait for next gen stuff......which may be next year by the time ZX3 make it way to the market....lol

Thoug, for all that said, the technologies built in this headset will be ways better of quality vs others on the market for sure :). Impressive indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back