Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Jun 18, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #61 of 392
Coming up on the end of the month, I will be getting/trying out the Sony MDR 1ABT, along with the Sony NWZ A17.. 

I already have the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2, and the Senn M2AEBT..  Both of these headphones are good. I order for me to KEEP the Sony MDR 1ABT, will have to best those two above..From what I have been reading, it should be able to do that if connected to the Sony NWZ A17 with LDAC on both..

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #62 of 392
Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From what I have been reading, it should be able to do that if connected to the Sony NWZ A17 with LDAC on both..

Yes, that's the theory anyway.  Another theory is that to really hear the difference LDAC claims to make over AptX (based on specs anyway) you should really be playing hi-res material on your A17, preferrably well-mastered 24-bit 96 khz tracks (192khz is fine too but it will be down-sampled and is not audibly better in the first place).

We already know that these perform well with modern pop (as do the 1RBTMK2s), but what I'm really interested to know is how well 1ABTs would work for classical.  I'm rather hopeful, considering their improved clarity, sub-bass and hi-res credentials over the MK2s.

By the way, I'm very interested in your feedback as I'm seriously considering the exact same setup as you and you've heard some of the bluetooth 'big guns' of the moment.  Now, if I was predominantly listening to classical, I would probably just get the Definitive Technologies Symphony 1, but I'm really looking for an engaging all-arounder.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #63 of 392
Will do, although i am not good with descriptions. Also not into classical. I did have the Symphony Definitive 1 which i returned, because to my ears the Senn M2 and the MK2 were better.

Also i got beat up for the use of the BETTER description too. :D

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #64 of 392
Just listened to a pair of these in Superfi, Birmingham. Disappointed in the sound. Very bass heavy - seemed to bleed into the mids. Was only a quick BT demo using my Xperia Z3 compact (so no LDAC), but using some demo tracks I know well.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #65 of 392
Just listened to a pair of these in Superfi, Birmingham. Disappointed in the sound. Very bass heavy - seemed to bleed into the mids. Was only a quick BT demo using my Xperia Z3 compact (so no LDAC), but using some demo tracks I know well.

Wrong post.

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #66 of 392
Also i got beat up for the use of the BETTER description too.
biggrin.gif

Haha...I promise not to beat you up and I'm sure others won't either if you just tell us which are better to your ears - the Sennies or the Sonys.  Just let us know what styles of music you tested them with, the bit-rate of the source as well as any perceived sound quality improvement between AptX and LDAC (and wired, if possible).

I've been so close to pulling the trigger on this (and being a happy owner of the MK2s, but after hearing the same thing about the boominess over and over again, looks like it's back to square one for me.

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #67 of 392
I've been so close to pulling the trigger on this (and being a happy owner of the MK2s, but after hearing the same thing about the boominess over and over again, looks like it's back to square one for me.

For what it's worth, I have the 1ABTs; I've spent many hours listening to them, and I dont find the bass boomy at all. It is definitely more present than on the 1RBTMK2, but I would never call it boomy.

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #68 of 392
For what it's worth, I have the 1ABTs; I've spent many hours listening to them, and I dont find the bass boomy at all. It is definitely more present than on the 1RBTMK2, but I would never call it boomy.

In your opinion which is over all better, the mk2 or the 1abt?

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #70 of 392

In your opinion which is over all better, the mk2 or the 1abt?

It depends on the sound signature you like and what music you listen to. I prefer the 1abt, but I certainly understand why some people would prefer the more toned down bass of the mk2.

I posted a comparison of the two here.

Thanks for that, I had read that before and replied. I am one of the ones that has waited until Amazon has them and not coming from Japan..I will be getting mine in about a week. The MK2 is a good performer. So, my ears are going to be judge if I keep the 1ABT... 

BTW, you kept the 1ABT, along with 1RBTMK2 didn't you?   :wink:

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #71 of 392
Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, you kept the 1ABT, along with 1RBTMK2 didn't you?   :wink:

I had them both for a time, but I decided to sell the MK2 and keep the 1ABT. However, I've been listening more and more to my wired headphones with a Sound Blaster E3 lately, so I'm considering selling the 1ABT. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #72 of 392

I had them both for a time, but I decided to sell the MK2 and keep the 1ABT. However, I've been listening more and more to my wired headphones with a Sound Blaster E3 lately, so I'm considering selling the 1ABT. 

Would you say the sound of the 1ABT has changed much after the burn in?  Do they sound different now than when you first got them and shared your impressions?  That was definitely the case with my MK2s - I found that the vocals opened up (were a little recessed to start with) and that mid-bass bump smoothed out.

I'm also concerned that they have Sony's ClearAudio+ hardwired in the firmware with no way to turn it off - I read about it in the NWZ-A17 thread.

I take it you haven't tried them with LDAC?  It's supposed to combine the SQ of wired with the convenience of the wireless while supporting hi-res audio, but yes, it requires additional investment in a Sony DAP (or the new Z3+ phone / Z4 tablet).  Just thought you may want to test this in a store before selling.

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #73 of 392

Would you say the sound of the 1ABT has changed much after the burn in?  Do they sound different now than when you first got them and shared your impressions?  That was definitely the case with my MK2s - I found that the vocals opened up (were a little recessed to start with) and that mid-bass bump smoothed out.

I haven't noticed any change, but I think it's harder to notice when you listen to them every day. I haven't done any active burning in when they're not in use.

Quote:

I take it you haven't tried them with LDAC?  It's supposed to combine the SQ of wired with the convenience of the wireless while supporting hi-res audio, but yes, it requires additional investment in a Sony DAP (or the new Z3+ phone / Z4 tablet).  Just thought you may want to test this in a store before selling.

I'm familiar with what LDAC is, but I haven't tried it and I don't plan to. I'm not in the market for a new phone, and I'm not really interested in carrying around a second device for a marginal improvement in sound quality. I've spent a decent amount of time listening to the 1ABT wired, and while it does sound better than wireless, the difference is not drastic enough for me to justify the extra device even if LDAC is just as good as wired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back