Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #2,236 of 2,440
Hi Mr Walkman, Im using WM1A with your Walkman One - Z1 sound. As you mentioned about Z7M2 , do these combo needs an amp or more power to drive, or its just enough power for 1A and Z7M2 , thanks so much.

I used the Z7M2 with the WM1A (balanced port) without an additional amp, and I've had great experiences.

The upcoming update for the Walkman One firmware will bring a way to increase the output volume, which could help if you feel like just the WM1A is not enough.

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #2,237 of 2,440
I used the Z7M2 with the WM1A (balanced port) without an additional amp, and I've had great experiences.

The upcoming update for the Walkman One firmware will bring a way to increase the output volume, which could help if you feel like just the WM1A is not enough.
Thanks so much for the info, so when will you release the upcoming update for Walkman One , I love your Z1 sound signature :)

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #2,239 of 2,440
I spent a bit of time EQing these trying to get them to sound the way I like. There's not too much info I can find to get these sounding cleaner, so I figured I'd put these out on the web. At least on my set and ears, these settings make them extremely clear and natural. Unfortunately most of the settings are in the highs, so it may not work for your ears but whatevs, I'm just trying to be helpful to anyone looking.

Filter: ON HS Fc 7047.42 Hz Gain 4.2 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 929.4 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 1.0225
Filter: ON PK Fc 396.39 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 0.86
Filter: ON PK Fc 2147.98 Hz Gain -6.2 dB Q 7.326
Filter: ON PK Fc 2800 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 4.3337
Filter: ON PK Fc 3300.35 Hz Gain -12 dB Q 5.1388
Filter: ON PK Fc 5000.07 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 5.5829
Filter: ON PK Fc 6000.79 Hz Gain -7.6 dB Q 7.1263
Filter: ON PK Fc 8795.91 Hz Gain -5 dB Q 5.7393
Preamp: -4.5 dB

May 15, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #2,240 of 2,440
I used the Z7M2s extensively with my WM1A and found they're a really fantastic headphone for just about everything. Managed to get a MUC-B20SB1 cable at an extremely good price and found that the cable upgrade made an already very good headphone sound even better. I'm not saying that the cable upgrade is a panacea, but there was something that bothered me before I upgraded to it. Something made it difficult for me to listen for very long sessions without wanting to "take a break". The MUC-B20SB1 made that go away, I just wish I knew what it did to make that happen. Always listened through balanced, too, which gives them a bit more power, which I think they need. When I compare them to the Z1R I'm quite impressed at what these headphones deliver at their price point.

May 19, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #2,242 of 2,440
Has anyone EQ'd these to have sub-bass rumble? The comfort of these are really great, but they don't really get rumbly like the Sony MH-750/MH-755

Strange .. as, on my side I would avoid muddy/bloated low frequencies to improve these and try to get deeper, faster and clearer impacts in my throat... :thinking:

2 or 3 years ago I have sent my personnel Z7M2 to Oratory1990 for measurements and generate autoEq parameters. So, these are what I apply to my sample.
More over, at my office, I installed connected to my W10 Workstation (FIIO M11 as USB DAC) the Sony Z7M2 with line out to an old powerful speaker amp Sony TAN 55ES (I use an Ifi iEMatch 4.4mm Balanced Male to Female Headphone to lower by -20db the output power of the TAN 55ES with the cable speaker to XLR4 adapter)

1652945587672.png

So, with such type of PEQ, the bass section is really near to a perfect Harman 2018 Target.
Maybe you can play a bit and increase the 200hz low shelf if you really need more rumble.

But as it is, and with some nearly instant A/B comparison with my DCA Stealth (plugged to a FIIO M17 in DC enhanced mode), though the stage width is significantly narrower and less deep, the Sound Quality of the Z7M2 after PEQ is nothing less than impressive !!! :L3000::L3000::L3000:.. Totally blank background, very impactful and fast low and ultra low frequencies .. and quite detailed high frequencies (at least till 15khz, as it's my ear limit).

1652945688224.png

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #2,243 of 2,440
Strange .. as, on my side I would avoid muddy/bloated low frequencies to improve these and try to get deeper, faster and clearer impacts in my throat... :thinking:

2 or 3 years ago I have sent my personnel Z7M2 to Oratory1990 for measurements and generate autoEq parameters. So, these are what I apply to my sample.
More over, at my office, I installed connected to my W10 Workstation (FIIO M11 as USB DAC) the Sony Z7M2 with line out to an old powerful speaker amp Sony TAN 55ES (I use an Ifi iEMatch 4.4mm Balanced Male to Female Headphone to lower by -20db the output power of the TAN 55ES with the cable speaker to XLR4 adapter)

1652945587672.png

So, with such type of PEQ, the bass section is really near to a perfect Harman 2018 Target.
Maybe you can play a bit and increase the 200hz low shelf if you really need more rumble.

But as it is, and with some nearly instant A/B comparison with my DCA Stealth (plugged to a FIIO M17 in DC enhanced mode), though the stage width is significantly narrower and less deep, the Sound Quality of the Z7M2 after PEQ is nothing less than impressive !!! :L3000::L3000::L3000:.. Totally blank background, very impactful and fast low and ultra low frequencies .. and quite detailed high frequencies (at least till 15khz, as it's my ear limit).

1652945688224.png
I've tried the oratory1990 settings years ago as well, but it's still not as magical as some IEMs come out of the box. The out of box rumble on Sony MH-750 has beaten everything I threw the Z7M2, so I'm now an IEM convert and out of the closet bass-head

May 23, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #2,244 of 2,440
I've tried the oratory1990 settings years ago as well, but it's still not as magical as some IEMs come out of the box. The out of box rumble on Sony MH-750 has beaten everything I threw the Z7M2, so I'm now an IEM convert and out of the closet bass-head
If you do the cdacosta mod on the z7m2, it will provide the most sub bass of any headphone you've ever heard.

I took my modded z7m2 to canjam nyc for comparison and nothing could match the amount of sub bass in this headphone. Nothing even came close in terms of sub bass, rest of the frequency range is a different story however. I listened to many headphones at the show including many flagships, the Abyss 1266 tc probably came closest but still couldn't match the impact and volume of the modded z7m2, tested both on the ampsandsound red october, one right after the other.

May 25, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #2,245 of 2,440
Did Sony discontinue the MDR-Z7M2?

I found out about this headphone about a week ago and wanted to purchase a pair, but can't find it anywhere in Germany.
All European Amazon shops also say it is unavailable. I don't want to purchase used, because i would like the ability to send it back, if i don't like it.

I called the Sony support, but the only info i got, was that they currently are not in stock and they don't know when or even if they get a new batch again.
Maybe they are preparing for a successor?

May 26, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #2,246 of 2,440
Did Sony discontinue the MDR-Z7M2?

I found out about this headphone about a week ago and wanted to purchase a pair, but can't find it anywhere in Germany.
All European Amazon shops also say it is unavailable. I don't want to purchase used, because i would like the ability to send it back, if i don't like it.

I called the Sony support, but the only info i got, was that they currently are not in stock and they don't know when or even if they get a new batch again.
Maybe they are preparing for a successor?
Doesn't appear it's officially discontinued since its still available in the US store. Might just be out of stock for your market.

May 26, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #2,247 of 2,440
Not discontinued

May 27, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #2,248 of 2,440
Doesn't appear it's officially discontinued since its still available in the US store. Might just be out of stock for your market.
I really hope they get a new batch again.

For me, the MDR-Z7M2 embodies perfectly what a good closed back is supposed to be.
Durable but still low weight, pleasing aesthetics and insanely comfortable, like a leather couch you can relax on after a hard day at work with a corresponding sound to match.
Well, I am probably exaggerating a little but thats what I'm hoping it will be like ;D

I will definitely keep my eyes open and hope I find one soon. Thanks for the reply.

May 27, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #2,249 of 2,440
As of this moment i could gladly quit audio with this pairing. Very relaxing but detailed at the same time. And on 4.4mm theres a very interesting vinyl like ring to them. Could just be me hyping myself up but this is an incredible combo! (Though it did took me a while to digest the presentation).
20220527_142848.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back