Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Apr 28, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #706 of 2,453
Finally found "the amp" for my Z7M2, the Rupert Neve HP (RNHP) amp:

33843962368_c98d3eb63f_c.jpg

While my WM1A has juuuust enough power for the RNHP + Z7M2 combo (via the 4.4mm HP out), i think I will have to get a better outboard DAC eventually to push the RNHP to its limits.

The RNHP has been known to be fairly linear/transparent amp, allowing you to listen to both the source and HP. That said, compared to listening straight from the WM1A, the RNHP pushes the midrange and treble a wee bit forward while pulls down the bass a wee bit back. Soundstage is still fairly narrow (especially when compared to powerful amps such as the Questyle CMA600i) but depth and imaging are excellent. I've also tried briefly the Hugo2 + RNHP + Z7M2 combo and very much liked what I heard (better resolution and microdetails) but the Chord tax is a bit cost prohibitive; maybe Hugo2 prices in the second hand market will go down in the next year or two.

I can't recommend enough the RNHP to those looking for a clean and transparent sound that further improves the Z7M2 listening experience. It's not the most powerful amp out there but it's certainly worth your consideration! :o2smile:

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #707 of 2,453
May 2, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #715 of 2,453
Finally found "the amp" for my Z7M2, the Rupert Neve HP (RNHP) amp:

33843962368_c98d3eb63f_c.jpg

While my WM1A has juuuust enough power for the RNHP + Z7M2 combo (via the 4.4mm HP out), i think I will have to get a better outboard DAC eventually to push the RNHP to its limits.

The RNHP has been known to be fairly linear/transparent amp, allowing you to listen to both the source and HP. That said, compared to listening straight from the WM1A, the RNHP pushes the midrange and treble a wee bit forward while pulls down the bass a wee bit back. Soundstage is still fairly narrow (especially when compared to powerful amps such as the Questyle CMA600i) but depth and imaging are excellent. I've also tried briefly the Hugo2 + RNHP + Z7M2 combo and very much liked what I heard (better resolution and microdetails) but the Chord tax is a bit cost prohibitive; maybe Hugo2 prices in the second hand market will go down in the next year or two.

I can't recommend enough the RNHP to those looking for a clean and transparent sound that further improves the Z7M2 listening experience. It's not the most powerful amp out there but it's certainly worth your consideration! :o2smile:
Why're you double amping the signal from the Sony with the H/O? SONY Walkman has a line out cable isn't it? Like Fiio's L5?

May 2, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #716 of 2,453
Why're you double amping the signal from the Sony with the H/O? SONY Walkman has a line out cable isn't it? Like Fiio's L5?

I don't think the WM1A has dedicated analog line-out; Sony's official position is either headphone out can be used as a "line-out" (it's not a true line-out per se since the signal passes through the amp stage first). Even so, I don't have any problems with double-amping the WM1A with the RNHP (and with other HP amps): the sound is still clean (no static/artifacts). :)

May 2, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #717 of 2,453
This has probably been discussed before multiple times, but what exactly are the sonic differences like between the M2 and the original? Which one would you prefer?

May 2, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #718 of 2,453
May 3, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #720 of 2,453

Users who are viewing this thread

Back