Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Apr 10, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #691 of 2,440
I wonder if he has tried better amplification with the Z7 M2. The ZX300 can drive the Z7 M2 okay but a full-size desktop amp such as the CMA600I can drive it much better. This is a primary reason why everyone should audition it for themselves in their own system and each setup will not sound quite the same.
I think you commented the same to my past posting of his video as well and I replied the same: he uses a CMA400i for home use now.
With a iFi Defenfer because he got ground loop problem, now he's satisfied with that setup.
He's gone with that for over a year now, bought it around the time he had his L300 I think.

An old video for my reference for that statement

Also yes demoing yourself is the best way, but not everyone can do that.
Amazon's awesome return policy helps but it's not worldwide coverage, buying blind risk losing money in the short term. Brick & Mortar store is dwindling and those that do sells consumer headphone won't put $1k+ on display that often, bla bla many things doesn't line up. When such happens biased review is what us mortals can watch.

Yes it's biased, but that bias can be lessened by getting more source, doing independent research and comparing impressions, all the while knowing and do reverse bias on each reviewer.
Find a reviewer with similar taste on music, similar sound impressions, and adjust those bias from people that doesn't fit your ears.

When done properly it can work. Not perfect, but it's the only way for some.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #693 of 2,440
Actually, other than Zeos I haven't watch any of those popular Youtube reviews, can you refer some?

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #695 of 2,440
Z Review loves the Z7 M1 and hate the Z7 M2. I am the complete opposite. My favorite current production headphones are the Stax SR009 and SDR mods HD800....also really enjoy the HEK V2 when I had them also the Utopia.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #696 of 2,440
I wonder if he has tried better amplification with the Z7 M2. The ZX300 can drive the Z7 M2 okay but a full-size desktop amp such as the CMA600I can drive it much better. This is a primary reason why everyone should audition it for themselves in their own system and each setup will not sound quite the same.
+1 "... everyone should audition it for themselves in their own system and each setup will not sound quite the same."

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #697 of 2,440
I love my Z7m2, however i've noticed that they're really heavily reliant on source and amplification. My best experience with them so far has been when i hooked them up to my recordplayer setup, however as that is quite a lot of effort to just chill with some music, i want to get a better alternative for digital listening too (as it is what i mostly listen to) so i was wondering if anyone has tried them in balanced mode with the sony pha 2a? that model in particular has intrigued me but i havent really found much about it. Would also appreciate any other suggestions.

Apr 25, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #698 of 2,440
I love my Z7m2, however i've noticed that they're really heavily reliant on source and amplification. My best experience with them so far has been when i hooked them up to my recordplayer setup, however as that is quite a lot of effort to just chill with some music, i want to get a better alternative for digital listening too (as it is what i mostly listen to) so i was wondering if anyone has tried them in balanced mode with the sony pha 2a? that model in particular has intrigued me but i havent really found much about it. Would also appreciate any other suggestions.

I'd pass on the Sony amp. It's overpriced for what it is.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #700 of 2,440

I highly recommend the PHA-3 to drive the Z7 M2. The two works very well with one another. PHA3 might be old but it is very capable at driving the Z7 MK2 very nicely. The key is to use the best balanced adapter possible to not bottleneck the sound. I like the PHA3 almost just as much as the CMA600i when driving the Z7 M2. The 2A has the same amount of power as the PHA3 but it lacks the finesse and overall refinement compared to its older sibling.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #703 of 2,440
I highly recommend the PHA-3 to drive the Z7 M2. The two works very well with one another. PHA3 might be old but it is very capable at driving the Z7 MK2 very nicely. The key is to use the best balanced adapter possible to not bottleneck the sound. I like the PHA3 almost just as much as the CMA600i when driving the Z7 M2. The 2A has the same amount of power as the PHA3 but it lacks the finesse and overall refinement compared to its older sibling.

The pha3 has been of interest but i was unsure due to the lack of 4.4. Got any reccomendations on good adapters?

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #704 of 2,440
PHA-3 is not powerful at all according to specs: 320mW on 32 Ohm comparing to 1W for JDS Atom..
PHA-3 is powerful enough to drive the Z7 M2 properly and can even drive the HD800 well enough. A power rating is simply that. It has no barring on the sound over sound quality and overall synergy of the system. I don't go beyond 11 o'clock on high gain when using the PHA3 with Z7 M2.

The pha3 has been of interest but i was unsure due to the lack of 4.4. Got any reccomendations on good adapters?
If you are good at DIY, I would use Moon-audio female 4.4 mm TRRRS and Ediolic 3.5 mm for connectors. Pricey...yes, but it sounds considerably better than generic connectors that I bought off Ebay. I personally use a Black Dragon cable to make my adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back