Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Jan 14, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #541 of 2,453
Just had a chance to listen to the Z7M2 again... To my ears, they are way too bright. I prefer the old Z7 by far, and think that model is closer to the Z1R although they might be too dark and muddy for some. Just my 5 cents :)
The silver plated cable may contribute slightly to the brightness. I am using an upgraded silver cable and they are not as bright as stock cable. I am never a fan of silver plated copper cable.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #542 of 2,453
OK, if we're going to play this game: I like my Z7M2 more than my Z7, LCD2 Closed, HD 650, DT-770 Pro, and others. Way more.

Is it really better than the LCD 2 closed? Trying to figure out a good pair for my ZX 300. Looking at 1770, T5p, these, the Audeze and zdenon 7200. Having a hard time finding much comparison. Need something durable with good isolation.

Edit: never mind. Saw the follow up. I am surprised when people mention the DT 770s as a comparison though. It's a $150 headphone! I would think the 1770s would be a better comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #543 of 2,453
I can't praise Sony enough for what it has done in recent years since it decided to re-focus its energies on its consumer audio division with the quadruple release of the WM1A/WM1Z/Z1R/1000X in mid-2016. There's something about the "rejuvenated" Sony house sound, at least for products that target the casual to serious audiophile crowd: a manageable balance between warm-to-dark classic Sony sound and a more transparent/lively/midrange-y signature. And the Z7M2, especially if you got it for less than SRP, epitomizes that push towards the middle without losing its characteristic spirit along the way.

Good thing I am not a big fan of headphones with a wide soundstage hence the Z7M2's presentation suits me just as well. Pairing it with the WM1A is, in a few words, among the better HP-to-source synergies I've ever heard. For those not demanding the ultimate best, who would've thought audio nirvana can be had for less than two grand minus all the bulky contraptions? :)
See I'm the same way I think. I upgraded to the Z7M2 from the 1AM2, which I adore, and while I loved the Z7M2 at first, over time I realized that when I went back and forth between the two I preferred the 1AM2! I realized I didn't like the airy sound of the Z7M2, like everything was just too spaced apart. I ended up funding an IER-M9 purchase with my Z7M2 refund and I couldn't be happier! The 1AM2 was my introduction to the Sony house sound and I have to say, after owning three of their headphones, I'm a fan for life. Especially so with this IER-M9. I've paired it with my ZX300 and I listen to it constantly. Luckily I have a job where I can listen to my headphones all day and not be bothered.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #544 of 2,453
Is it really better than the LCD 2 closed? Trying to figure out a good pair for my ZX 300. Looking at 1770, T5p, these, the Audeze and zdenon 7200. Having a hard time finding much comparison. Need something durable with good isolation.

Edit: never mind. Saw the follow up. I am surprised when people mention the DT 770s as a comparison though. It's a $150 headphone! I would think the 1770s would be a better comparison.

Hope that comparison helped. Re the Byers, I can only compare with what I own, and now that I've gravitated to the Sony sound I'm pretty much done. (For now. Based on my time here on head-fi, it seems headphones are kinda like potato chips.)

lays-george-w.jpg

Jan 20, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #545 of 2,453
See I'm the same way I think. I upgraded to the Z7M2 from the 1AM2, which I adore, and while I loved the Z7M2 at first, over time I realized that when I went back and forth between the two I preferred the 1AM2! I realized I didn't like the airy sound of the Z7M2, like everything was just too spaced apart. I ended up funding an IER-M9 purchase with my Z7M2 refund and I couldn't be happier! The 1AM2 was my introduction to the Sony house sound and I have to say, after owning three of their headphones, I'm a fan for life. Especially so with this IER-M9. I've paired it with my ZX300 and I listen to it constantly. Luckily I have a job where I can listen to my headphones all day and not be bothered.

My love affair with Sony started when I first got the MDR-1000X roughly 2.5 years ago, right after I attended one of Sony's meet-and-greet sessions with fellow audiophiles. What's funny was that I was initially queuing to audition the MDR-Z1R; since the line was too long (and the movement was too little), I decided to go to another table where the MDR-1000X was displayed (and no one was demoing it). Lo and behold, five minutes into my demo of the MDR-1000X I knew I had to get a pair, fast.

Since then, here's the list of Sony products that passed through me:

1. PCM-D100 (already sold to give way to the NW-WM1A)
2. MDR-CD900ST CE-02 (modded by Cartonode Engineering of Japan, removable cables and foldable earcups)
3. MDR-EX800ST
4. NW-WM1A
5. MDR-7520 (already sold)
6. MDR-1ADAC (already sold)
7. MDR-1AM2
8. MDR-Z7M2
9. WH-1000XM3

I still have a bit of seller's remorse with the PCM-D100; thankfully, the friend I sold my D100 to agreed to a reverse buyback if and when he determines he does not have any need for it. I would like to have a chance to purchase an MDR-Z1R (at the right price), as well as the vintage Sony HPs (1000Z, SA5000/SA3000, CD3000, and of course the R10) someday.

Too bad the shape of my ears prevent me from fully enjoying universal IEMs (there's some channel imbalance when i try medium-insertion IEMs, something custom IEMs can only solve). That said, I've tried the M7 and M9 and I was quite happy with what I've heard. Hopefully, the IER-Z1R won't disappoint. :)

Congratulations on the IER-M9! :D

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #546 of 2,453
My love affair with Sony started when I first got the MDR-1000X roughly 2.5 years ago, right after I attended one of Sony's meet-and-greet sessions with fellow audiophiles. What's funny was that I was initially queuing to audition the MDR-Z1R; since the line was too long (and the movement was too little), I decided to go to another table where the MDR-1000X was displayed (and no one was demoing it). Lo and behold, five minutes into my demo of the MDR-1000X I knew I had to get a pair, fast.

Since then, here's the list of Sony products that passed through me:

1. PCM-D100 (already sold to give way to the NW-WM1A)
2. MDR-CD900ST CE-02 (modded by Cartonode Engineering of Japan, removable cables and foldable earcups)
3. MDR-EX800ST
4. NW-WM1A
5. MDR-7520 (already sold)
6. MDR-1ADAC (already sold)
7. MDR-1AM2
8. MDR-Z7M2
9. WH-1000XM3

I still have a bit of seller's remorse with the PCM-D100; thankfully, the friend I sold my D100 to agreed to a reverse buyback if and when he determines he does not have any need for it. I would like to have a chance to purchase an MDR-Z1R (at the right price), as well as the vintage Sony HPs (1000Z, SA5000/SA3000, CD3000, and of course the R10) someday.

Too bad the shape of my ears prevent me from fully enjoying universal IEMs (there's some channel imbalance when i try medium-insertion IEMs, something custom IEMs can only solve). That said, I've tried the M7 and M9 and I was quite happy with what I've heard. Hopefully, the IER-Z1R won't disappoint. :)

Congratulations on the IER-M9! :D
Funny you say that about your fitment issues with universal IEMs. I have the same issue and always struggle with fitment. My damn right ear hole is just a pain in my ass. I always have fitment issues with my right ear. But the M9 has been the best IEM fitment yet for me personally, although still not perfect. I'm using the biggest supplied silicone tips and I could actually use a bigger one for my right ear. It's just barely big enough to create a seal but it bothers me that the seal isn't as sturdy as the seal on my left ear. The supplied hybrid foam tips don't fit at all. I've been looking at some upgraded tips for them although the provided ones are fine, I just think it could be better. Back in my less civilized days I used Comply foams haha. They provided excellent fit, at the expense of clarity. Won't be retarding the sound of my 1k+ M9 in any way though haha.

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #547 of 2,453
Funny you say that about your fitment issues with universal IEMs. I have the same issue and always struggle with fitment. My damn right ear hole is just a pain in my ass. I always have fitment issues with my right ear. But the M9 has been the best IEM fitment yet for me personally, although still not perfect. I'm using the biggest supplied silicone tips and I could actually use a bigger one for my right ear. It's just barely big enough to create a seal but it bothers me that the seal isn't as sturdy as the seal on my left ear. The supplied hybrid foam tips don't fit at all. I've been looking at some upgraded tips for them although the provided ones are fine, I just think it could be better. Back in my less civilized days I used Comply foams haha. They provided excellent fit, at the expense of clarity. Won't be retarding the sound of my 1k+ M9 in any way though haha.

You might want to try the following, which might solve your fitment issues:

1. Final Audio Type-E silicone ear tips;
2. Acoustune silicone ear tips; or
3. SpinFit silicone ear tips.

The Acoustunes are a bit larger for a given size (i.e., the medium-sized tips can be considered large for some).

The good thing about Sony's premium IEMs, they'll spoil you with an abundance of tips (this was the case with the MDR-EX1000 before haha). I hope you'll find the proper tips to solve your fitment issues so you can fully enjoy your M9s! :)

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #548 of 2,453
You might want to try the following, which might solve your fitment issues:

1. Final Audio Type-E silicone ear tips;
2. Acoustune silicone ear tips; or
3. SpinFit silicone ear tips.

The Acoustunes are a bit larger for a given size (i.e., the medium-sized tips can be considered large for some).

The good thing about Sony's premium IEMs, they'll spoil you with an abundance of tips (this was the case with the MDR-EX1000 before haha). I hope you'll find the proper tips to solve your fitment issues so you can fully enjoy your M9s! :)
Yeah but I was kinda bummed that only one pair out of the 13 provided fit me! And barely fit at that haha. My old Monster Miles Davis Trumpet IEMs give Sony a run for their money in the tips and accessories department though.

I feel like my ear canals are different sizes depending on the time of day, it's weird.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #549 of 2,453
has anyone looked into replacement pads? i'm finding that my ears are pressing up against the drivers -- not severely, but just enough to be annoying. was looking for something a little roomier but i'm worried about changing the sound signature too much. thoughts?

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #550 of 2,453
has anyone looked into replacement pads? i'm finding that my ears are pressing up against the drivers -- not severely, but just enough to be annoying. was looking for something a little roomier but i'm worried about changing the sound signature too much. thoughts?
place the headband closer to the front of your head, the deeper parts of the pads should align with the back of your ears.

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #551 of 2,453

I am having the same issues. Not terrible but it does hurt my ears after long listening session.

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #552 of 2,453

Bought some silicon rings to put inside the cup, which fixed my problem!

Those are the perfect size and thickness for that matter :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMWPTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #553 of 2,453
place the headband closer to the front of your head, the deeper parts of the pads should align with the back of your ears.

I know you were just trying to be helpful but I can assure you I'm not wearing these wrong. Not my first rodeo... these pads are just some of the softest I've come across and don't have the same more rigid feel that I'm accustomed to with other headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #554 of 2,453
Dear Forum,

Greetings from Europe. I am quite new to HiresMusic. So far I was listening music from my Mac through my Sony NW-A45 with it‘s dac functionality to the MDR Z7M2. This year I would like to upgrade the DAP to one with a balanced 4,4mm output.

But before I spend some money for that new device, I would like to try another (cheap) DAC solution with the FIIO Q1 Mark II. Unfortunately has the FIIO only a 2,5mm balanced output.

Do you know if there is a reliable adapter cable out there? Or would you have another solution? Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back