Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Dec 28, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #527 of 2,454
Due to hard to drive nature of the HD-650, those difference maybe just due to different setup. I have heard okay to top-shelf level type of sound of the HD650 based on varies degree of amplifications.
I have heard such differences; but even on the warmest high end tube systems, I've never heard them having bass that approached even slightly boosted. They have a notorious low mid fatness that he may have been referring to, but to have them seem almost like too much in the mid and lower bass vs. MDR-Z7M2 threw me off. It just doesn't seem possible. They start to roll off in the mid bass.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #528 of 2,454
Just received a pair of MDR-Z7M2 from Amazon.fr - the box contained a set of MDR-1AM2 inside - and the 3.5 mm cable was missing. This is the 2nd time in a month that I had experienced that someone has made a fraud with Sonys products. The first time was the set of Z1R headphones I ordered for black friday. The 2nd set didn't have the headphones or cables inside the box. Luckily the company could see the weight of the box when they shipped it, and the weight when the danish postal service received it - there was a difference.

Not sure what has happened here with Amazon - but I'm sure someone has tried to trick Amazon by sending back the wrong headset.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #529 of 2,454
Just received a pair of MDR-Z7M2 from Amazon.fr - the box contained a set of MDR-1AM2 inside - and the 3.5 mm cable was missing. This is the 2nd time in a month that I had experienced that someone has made a fraud with Sonys products. The first time was the set of Z1R headphones I ordered for black friday. The 2nd set didn't have the headphones or cables inside the box. Luckily the company could see the weight of the box when they shipped it, and the weight when the danish postal service received it - there was a difference.

Not sure what has happened here with Amazon - but I'm sure someone has tried to trick Amazon by sending back the wrong headset.

Then mention the vendor, so that other will take precaution.Note that amazon is like ebay with many suppliers, so better to read reviews of the vendor first prior to ordering.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #531 of 2,454
It’s a warehouse item so it’s Amazon that has made the mistake by not inspecting the return careful.
This happened to me with some Beyer T5's recently. Box was opened, bag for cable unpacked, fingerprints everywhere - listed as new. Gross.

Amazon UK have a good price on the MDR-Z7M2 right now, btw.

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #532 of 2,454
I now have the Z7 M2. Will need put more hours on them given that previous owner only played them for 10 hours. Personally, I like the Z7 M2 more than my mooded Z and definitely over the stock Z7. Sound is more balanced in term of frequencies. Was hoping for much wider soundstage but maybe it will get better after the burn in period. This will not unseat my HD800 obviously.

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #533 of 2,454
Has anyone come across any sites selling just the balanced cable for the Z7M2? Either the one included or upgraded?

Jan 14, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #535 of 2,454
The midrange balance and detail on the M2 is just incredible, especially for it's price.

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #536 of 2,454
The midrange balance and detail on the M2 is just incredible, especially for it's price.

I didn't pay full price and do like them a lot. Not sure why these are not more popular. I get it that the soundstage width could have been wider but they do other things very well. They also work very well across all genres.

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #537 of 2,454
I can't praise Sony enough for what it has done in recent years since it decided to re-focus its energies on its consumer audio division with the quadruple release of the WM1A/WM1Z/Z1R/1000X in mid-2016. There's something about the "rejuvenated" Sony house sound, at least for products that target the casual to serious audiophile crowd: a manageable balance between warm-to-dark classic Sony sound and a more transparent/lively/midrange-y signature. And the Z7M2, especially if you got it for less than SRP, epitomizes that push towards the middle without losing its characteristic spirit along the way.

Good thing I am not a big fan of headphones with a wide soundstage hence the Z7M2's presentation suits me just as well. Pairing it with the WM1A is, in a few words, among the better HP-to-source synergies I've ever heard. For those not demanding the ultimate best, who would've thought audio nirvana can be had for less than two grand minus all the bulky contraptions? :)

Jan 14, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #538 of 2,454
I can't praise Sony enough for what it has done in recent years since it decided to re-focus its energies on its consumer audio division with the quadruple release of the WM1A/WM1Z/Z1R/1000X in mid-2016. There's something about the "rejuvenated" Sony house sound, at least for products that target the casual to serious audiophile crowd: a manageable balance between warm-to-dark classic Sony sound and a more transparent/lively/midrange-y signature. And the Z7M2, especially if you got it for less than SRP, epitomizes that push towards the middle without losing its characteristic spirit along the way.

Good thing I am not a big fan of headphones with a wide soundstage hence the Z7M2's presentation suits me just as well. Pairing it with the WM1A is, in a few words, among the better HP-to-source synergies I've ever heard. For those not demanding the ultimate best, who would've thought audio nirvana can be had for less than two grand minus all the bulky contraptions? :)
I agree on the WM1A pairing. I also upgraded the cable on the M2 to some Fozra Claire Hybrid HPC 4.4mm recently - totally resolves all the doubts I had about the M2. Excellent set-up, very satisfying.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #540 of 2,454
Huh??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back