Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 1, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #258 of 2,453
Haven't had time to browse thru the whole thread, but has anyone compared the Z7M2 to the original Z7?

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #259 of 2,453
Sorry to be off topic, but sadly I no longer have my Z7 MKII headphone as they were stolen out of my car yesterday. Some people suck! -- Has anyone researched the best deal for another pair yet?
Funny you said that, I had a break in my house, a couple laptops got stolen, but then they ignored my Sony XBA A3 IEM, laying on the table. I guess I'm lucky that my thief ain't audiophile.
still a big loss, but it's just a funny thing I take out from the incident..

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #260 of 2,453
Haven't had time to browse thru the whole thread, but has anyone compared the Z7M2 to the original Z7?

I haven't seen a direct comparison, but the consensus from those that have heard both seems to be that the M2 is less bass heavy but retains the other characteristics that made the original Z7 such a fun set of cans. I must say that I am loving mine.

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #262 of 2,453
Any more impressions, from anyone ?

I am getting a unit to review in a few weeks. I never owned the Z7 so I can’t compare it to it and now I will have to buy an Amp for these since I never bothered since my phone is an iPhone X which has no headphone jack ... I’ll probably give a first impression based off using my phone and something later on with an amp

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #263 of 2,453
This thread is very slow. Either people are enjoying the headphones too much to post impressions or there is not much to say about them! Either way, it would be good to hear a bit more as considering a purchase but don't have the opportunity to test them first.

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #264 of 2,453
I'll chime in again.

I've now had these HP for a solid 3 weeks. I wear them everyday for a solid 3-4 maybe 5 hours a day. They work very well for me. I've not done much critical listening being that work has been busy. I basically sit down at the office and have a good hour+ with them listening to casual music. Alot of McIntosh music recently. I'm aware that this isn't the highest quality source but for work, the mix does the trick.

The cans are incredibly comfy! Really, just top-notch on that point. I feel like I have pillows on my ears. Headband clamping force is just right. They stay put. Isolation is above average as outside noise is not an issue and sound leakage doesn't seem to bother others. I don't think these are really designed to be mobile cans though. I think they are meant to be worn in a office or home setting.

I did listen to Roy Hargrove-Earfood this morning and was left with a big smile on my face. The Z7M2's really showed well. Also got into the 50th anniversary album from Charles Mingus yesterday. Same, warm and inviting and very soothing. Horns and upright bass marry well.

That's all I have time to write at the moment. I do hope to post more critical insights and more detailed notes, hopefully next week, as I'm hoping things ease up. Till then. Happy listening!

I wanted to add one thing in regards to the headphones:

I did pick up a new Audioquest carbon .75m USB-C to USB-B cable. So, I'm now running one cable from my source to my amp. The net result has been a cleaner and brighter sound(not harsh). I still power the Z7M2's via the WA WA8 so my overall sound has the tube warmth.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #265 of 2,453
I'll chime in again.

I've now had these HP for a solid 3 weeks. I wear them everyday for a solid 3-4 maybe 5 hours a day. They work very well for me. I've not done much critical listening being that work has been busy. I basically sit down at the office and have a good hour+ with them listening to casual music. Alot of McIntosh music recently. I'm aware that this isn't the highest quality source but for work, the mix does the trick.

The cans are incredibly comfy! Really, just top-notch on that point. I feel like I have pillows on my ears. Headband clamping force is just right. They stay put. Isolation is above average as outside noise is not an issue and sound leakage doesn't seem to bother others. I don't think these are really designed to be mobile cans though. I think they are meant to be worn in a office or home setting.

I did listen to Roy Hargrove-Earfood this morning and was left with a big smile on my face. The Z7M2's really showed well. Also got into the 50th anniversary album from Charles Mingus yesterday. Same, warm and inviting and very soothing. Horns and upright bass marry well.

That's all I have time to write at the moment. I do hope to post more critical insights and more detailed notes, hopefully next week, as I'm hoping things ease up. Till then. Happy listening!

I wanted to add one thing in regards to the headphones:

I did pick up a new Audioquest carbon .75m USB-C to USB-B cable. So, I'm now running one cable from my source to my amp. The net result has been a cleaner and brighter sound(not harsh). I still power the Z7M2's via the WA WA8 so my overall sound has the tube warmth.

Truly amazing you notice the new Carbon USB making everything cleaner and brighter. I have been waiting for mine, should be here near the end of the month. Cheers!

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #267 of 2,453
I had the original Z7 and the Z1R and that was not worth the price difference. Never is.

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #269 of 2,453
Depends on how much money means to you, what your own perception of value is, and if the differences in sound are in line with that. Something I can't really answer for someone else.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #270 of 2,453
Just got my Z7M2 from a local hifi show in which the local Sony distro gave nice discounts to all Sony portable audio products (including the Z7M2). Converted to USD, I got my unit for only ~USD600 (+/- USD10 depending on forex).

45810151201_0b57d0d776_c.jpg

Initial impressions:

1. These are arguably among the most comfortable headphones I've owned/worn. They just sit on my head with minimal movement (even if I move my head sideways/up-and-down). Given its closed-back design, though, they get somehow warm (but not as warm as, say, the Ether C).

2. They sound euphoric. And they sound just right. My major "issue" with the original Z7 was that the midrange sounded unnatural, which was somehow fixed by swapping the default cable with (expensive) Kimber cables.

3. I would classify its sound signature as slightly u-shaped. The bass appears forward (than behind) but does not in any way bleed into the midrange, which sound very luscious. There's enough treble extension without getting too hot/sibilant (even for test tracks known for excessive sibilance). Soundstage, however, is (obviously) quite narrow but height is more than decent.

4. Surprisingly, the Z7M2 can be properly driven by my WM1A; I am now listening to Queen's "Innuendo" album in DSD 2.8 Mhz and my volume is set at 97/120 which I find already quite loud.

5. This position might elicit some consternation but I feel the Z7M2 should have been the Z1R. I've already the Z1R with both the TA-ZH1ES and a prototype version of the DMP-Z1 and I can't fully appreciate the Z1R's given its hefty asking price (with the discount at the hifi show, it's selling for ~USD1,700). Yes, the Z1R has a more expansive soundstage and has better microdetails but the Z7M2 sounds relatively better (less hazy sounding, more direct, more visceral) especially when considering the Z7M2's price.

Hope my impressions help those who are on the fence! In my very honest opinion, the Z7M2, together with the 1AM2, is Sony's best pound-for-pound headphone among Sony's existing lineup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back