Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Oct 21, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #226 of 2,453
@Redcarmoose, it looks like you are running with upgraded cables for your Z1R. Thankfully Sony didn't touch the connections and the Z1R, Z7 & Z7M2 all share the same.

How do you like your Sony MUC-B20SB1 cables? I'm thinking about my options regarding cabling. Thanks!

Yes, that one single cable fits all the headphones AND all the DAPs balanced and the TA amp.

It’s simply one cable for everything! Better than the stock cable Sony provides in sound quality.

I have not heard the uber-expensive Axios Kimber model. But the regular Kimber MUC-B20SB1 is one of the greatest adds ever. I would not even be using one except it was free with my Z1R. Meaning.........I’m lucky to have been given one as I’m not sure I would have purchased one, but I love it! It’s worth the money really for the sound upgrade, now that I’ve used one.

It takes the Z7 and Z1R to a much better place; a noticeably different place.

It fixs much of the issues that some complain about with the original Z7. And takes what’s right about the Z1R and takes it to a great new response. Basicly opens the treble area increasing soundstage, spreads out the mids a little and tightens the bass detail. And being the 3.5mm X2 cable fits all the headphones and the 4.4mm fits all the amp/DAPs......it’s something I always use.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #227 of 2,453
How's the soundstage on these? Also is the sound in the same vein as the z1r? The thing I liked about the z1r was the thick musical presentation, whilst also possessing a wide soundstage.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #229 of 2,453
16ad0cy.jpg

Just arrived. First impressions are superb. Soundstage is beautiful and expansive, especially for closed phones. Instrument positioning is outstanding. Bass is authoritative but not overbearing. I'm no audiophile, but my goodness this combination of ZX300 and MDR-Z7M2 is quite something. If you love the Sony sound then this combo is a bit of a no-brainer.

I don't have anything to compare them to unfortunately. I have been using a Sennheiser 598 for the last decade and so these are a huge step-up, obviously. I'm very pleased.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #230 of 2,453
^^Nice stand^^

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #231 of 2,453
16ad0cy.jpg

Just arrived. First impressions are superb. Soundstage is beautiful and expansive, especially for closed phones. Instrument positioning is outstanding. Bass is authoritative but not overbearing. I'm no audiophile, but my goodness this combination of ZX300 and MDR-Z7M2 is quite something. If you love the Sony sound then this combo is a bit of a no-brainer.

I don't have anything to compare them to unfortunately. I have been using a Sennheiser 598 for the last decade and so these are a huge step-up, obviously. I'm very pleased.

Thanks for the report. Nice photo!

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #234 of 2,453
^^Nice stand^^

It came free with the headphones, which was a nice surprise. It's an official Sony one - solid metal. Looks and feels great.

How's the leakage? Is it suitable for a fairly quiet office?

I stuck them on my wife who listened on moderate volume and I could faintly hear what she was listening to, so probably not okay for somewhere like a library, but for an office, it would probably be fine. They're not dead silent though.

One added thing. I brought them in Korea and paid $640 - a nice discount on the $899 Sony are charging in the States.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #235 of 2,453
Those Sony/Kimber cables are really nice... I got both balanced and unbalanced for my Z7 at the time, and kept them when I sold it. But since I decided against the Z7M2 (just got my first pair of CIEMs and I have just too many headphones already...), I'm selling them now... it's really nice that Sony kept the connectors compatible, and that they use robust 3.5mm sockets with a good locking mechanism that stays out of the way (I.e. when using other cables).
I have to admit that I miss the comfort of the Z7... maybe I'll get the Z7M2 sometime just for that pillow feeling.

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #236 of 2,453
It came free with the headphones, which was a nice surprise. It's an official Sony one - solid metal. Looks and feels great.

I stuck them on my wife who listened on moderate volume and I could faintly hear what she was listening to, so probably not okay for somewhere like a library, but for an office, it would probably be fine. They're not dead silent though.

One added thing. I brought them in Korea and paid $640 - a nice discount on the $899 Sony are charging in the States.

Interesting that you got a stand, they say nothing about that in the literature. Very nice one though, would help justify the high price if it was always included.

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #237 of 2,453
Liquid Crystal Polymer drivers need lots of burn-in. One might think "oh, this is a plastic driver, so it is broken in out of the box." Not true. LCP is similar to Kevlar and that means it is quite stiff. My MDR-1AM2s sounded horrible OOTB. Ran them on loud EDM and checked the SQ every 50 hours until there was no noticeable improvement... TWO HUNDRED hours later they sounded much better. Mids and treble entered the exceptional zone and the bass tightened up quite a bit. I was never impressed by the original 1As, but the M2s are a major improvement. If the Z7M2s exhibit a similar level improvement over the originals they are next on my list :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #238 of 2,453
This is helpful @Venture Guy. I have about 75 hours on my Z7M2's at the moment. Still only playing via the headphone jack of my Android phone. All work is completed on my WA8 and is en route back to me for delivery middle of next week. I've noticed a bit of sonic improvement myself with my current set up. That said, I will reserve judgement till I can power these cans through a proper DAC/AMP. Keeping an opened mind and looking forward to this process.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #239 of 2,453
This is helpful @Venture Guy. I have about 75 hours on my Z7M2's at the moment. Still only playing via the headphone jack of my Android phone. All work is completed on my WA8 and is en route back to me for delivery middle of next week. I've noticed a bit of sonic improvement myself with my current set up. That said, I will reserve judgement till I can power these cans through a proper DAC/AMP. Keeping an opened mind and looking forward to this process.

I'm looking forward to your impressions after burn-in :)

BTW, the best way to burn the 7s in is with LOUD thumping music. Playing at normal levels will take a lot longer. The point is to force the suspensions (the material that connects the diaphragm to the frame) into serious flexure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back