Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Oct 10, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #196 of 2,453
Look at Sony's 3 new IEMS, they are all quite high end in their pricing and build quality - they definitely wouldn't bother releasing these if they weren't serious about the audiophile market

The difference here is that sony has always made their IEMs in China.

IEMs are mainly targeted for portable or mobile applications.

The Z1R and Z7 are Japanese made and these headphones are designed for listening at home or the office.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #197 of 2,453
The difference here is that sony has always made their IEMs in China.

IEMs are mainly targeted for portable or mobile applications.

The Z1R and Z7 are Japanese made and these headphones are designed for listening at home or the office.
True, but the fact that many companies choose China doesn't mean they don't care about their products, it's just a sign of the times for them financially.
With Sony's 2 high end DAPs that can drive full sized headphones, I think even the portable can be considered serious hifi

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #198 of 2,453
That is a pretty big claim to make without offering a qualification that you are simply guessing. Additionally, that is I'm sorry to say, a tired and inaccurate assertion that moving production to China is a sign of lack of commitment. If anything, it is a commitment to making the innovations and technologies used more affordable.

This is a very kind assessment of corporate motives. I don't see any savings. The price has increased by $200.

The headphone is very similar to the Z7. It borrows the gimmicky Fabbi-whatever driver grill from the Z1R. Supposedly to reduce vibrations The Fibonacci
grill is pure marketing gimmickry. Everyone should know that.

All I see is a slightly updated Z7 with a simpler aesthetic design being produced in a low wage country and ironically sold at a higher price.

Btw, I see no evidence that Sony addressed the dampening issue in the ear cups or the cheap thin internal wiring between the terminals and the driver contacts.

Anyone familiar with the Z7 has heard about the tape and wiring Mods that took that headphone to new levels of refinement.

The Z1R incorporated a paper dampening dome within the ear capsule cavity. This was made of a porous material that partially absorbed sound waves. The tape mod to the Z7 worked by the same principle.

I always had the idea that Sony could use a fine mist nozzle and apply a thin layer of spray foam to the inside back of each ear capsule.

Why can't they do that?

Why can't they use better wire for the driver connections?

What are are we getting for an extra $200?

Why do.these headphones look like some Massdrop Saturday Night special?

These early impressions from folks who go to a store during lunch break and listen for 5-10 minutes are entertaining for some of you but I would wait for reviews from people that can give the Z7M2 a SERIOUS listen, at home, with their own equipment, and listening to songs they're familiar with.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #199 of 2,453
The guy at the Sony booth at IFA was really friendly and provided a cable so I could listen with my own A&K player (they were wired with pentacon for demo). My own short impression there is much worth more to me than a review prefixed with a sentence like "we received this sample in exchange for our honest opinion"...

Regarding prices... this part is going into a wholly wrong direction in my opinion. Currently prices are going up just because companies get away with that. That's not a statement on the Z7m2 price, but could of course be applied here as well. I do think they worked on the acoustic design, so it's not just a paint job. What the changes are worth... depends very much on personal judgment I think

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #200 of 2,453
The guy at the Sony booth at IFA was really friendly and provided a cable so I could listen with my own A&K player (they were wired with pentacon for demo). My own short impression there is much worth more to me than a review prefixed with a sentence like "we received this sample in exchange for our honest opinion"...

Regarding prices... this part is going into a wholly wrong direction in my opinion. Currently prices are going up just because companies get away with that. That's not a statement on the Z7m2 price, but could of course be applied here as well. I do think they worked on the acoustic design, so it's not just a paint job. What the changes are worth... depends very much on personal judgment I think

The booth guy was very accommodating. It's nice you got to hear the headphones out of your own portable.

I just don't think the Z7M2 r represents a good value. If it was priced at $699 I could see that as reasonable.

Chinese factory employees earn $0.5-$3 per hour as of 2017. Foxxcon pays employees in China $2 per hour. In Japan the minummi wage is just under $8. Sony probably pays a bit more than that at their Japanese factories.

So Sony is being greedy here. They're cutting labor costs by 80% and not passing that through to us. Instead they're actually raising the price significantly.

In addition to this the dollar has been appreciating against the Japanese Yen for months now.

Even more perplexing, in Japan you can buy the Z7M2 from e-earphone for $710 USD. But Sony is hosing Americans and Europeans at $900.

I don't think we should let Sony get away with this. They have no justification to raise the price.

This is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #201 of 2,453
To put a price on sound quality as a potential buyer is obviously difficult and each time a very personal process. I tend simplify by just asking "is that price tag worth it for me?" And I have to admit that more and more my personal answer is simply "no".

I'm in the happy position to not have to ask "can I afford this?", but that happens to lead to a no for the above question "is it worth it" more and more. I just don't see the changes I'd associate with these price jumps (in general).

So I think the Z7m2 is better than its predecessor. Is it 200€ better? How could I asses that?
Is it worth 900€ to me? Maybe. I like closed headphones, I like the Z7/Z1 series comfort. I like that SONY engages in this area.

I also like that Focal engages in high-end headphones. Nevertheless I never bought the Utopia and just cancelled my preorder for the Elegia. Overall headphones will get better with those big players putting resources into development. But currently prices are out of hand and that has to change.

I just reordered a DT770, a model I just like. Built in Germany and priced very moderately...

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #202 of 2,453
To put a price on sound quality as a potential buyer is obviously difficult and each time a very personal process. I tend simplify by just asking "is that price tag worth it for me?" And I have to admit that more and more my personal answer is simply "no".

I'm in the happy position to not have to ask "can I afford this?", but that happens to lead to a no for the above question "is it worth it" more and more. I just don't see the changes I'd associate with these price jumps (in general).

So I think the Z7m2 is better than its predecessor. Is it 200€ better? How could I asses that?
Is it worth 900€ to me? Maybe. I like closed headphones, I like the Z7/Z1 series comfort. I like that SONY engages in this area.

I also like that Focal engages in high-end headphones. Nevertheless I never bought the Utopia and just cancelled my preorder for the Elegia. Overall headphones will get better with those big players putting resources into development. But currently prices are out of hand and that has to change.

I just reordered a DT770, a model I just like. Built in Germany and priced very moderately...

I agree with you're saying here.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #203 of 2,453
I wonder if it will be like the original Z7 and you will start seeing the price fall pretty hard or a bunch of used ones hit the market. I got my original z7 new from bestbuy on a closeout at my local store for like alot less than msrp. I wanna find a shop I can try the m2 at or somewhere I can bring my Z7 to test next to it.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #204 of 2,453
Sony prices always fluctuates, they can be discounted at quote a big difference form MSRP in a fast timeline since release, this has happens times and times again, don't get too freaked out about the current MSRP, the street prices is what you should care about.
Also, their factory in Japan, the Taiyo is usually strictly for Flagship model only (mic, recorder, etc), the Z7M1 WAS the Sony headphone line flagship, but now that the Z1R is here they may have just seen little reason to keep higher traffic there.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #205 of 2,453
This is a very kind assessment of corporate motives. I don't see any savings. The price has increased by $200.

The headphone is very similar to the Z7. It borrows the gimmicky Fabbi-whatever driver grill from the Z1R. Supposedly to reduce vibrations The Fibonacci
grill is pure marketing gimmickry. Everyone should know that.

All I see is a slightly updated Z7 with a simpler aesthetic design being produced in a low wage country and ironically sold at a higher price.

Btw, I see no evidence that Sony addressed the dampening issue in the ear cups or the cheap thin internal wiring between the terminals and the driver contacts.

Anyone familiar with the Z7 has heard about the tape and wiring Mods that took that headphone to new levels of refinement.

The Z1R incorporated a paper dampening dome within the ear capsule cavity. This was made of a porous material that partially absorbed sound waves. The tape mod to the Z7 worked by the same principle.

I always had the idea that Sony could use a fine mist nozzle and apply a thin layer of spray foam to the inside back of each ear capsule.

Why can't they do that?

Why can't they use better wire for the driver connections?

What are are we getting for an extra $200?

Why do.these headphones look like some Massdrop Saturday Night special?

These early impressions from folks who go to a store during lunch break and listen for 5-10 minutes are entertaining for some of you but I would wait for reviews from people that can give the Z7M2 a SERIOUS listen, at home, with their own equipment, and listening to songs they're familiar with.
I understand and agree with what you're saying there.
I read a lot of reviews before buying a used pair of Z7 and was optimistic that because I usually enjoy the sound presentation of Sony's iems that I may love them. In the first minute my ears only heard what people have called imperfections and I knew right away they weren't for me.
I gave them some more time but I just couldn't get past the things I didn't like. If I were to walk into a shop and put the MK2 on for even a minute I'd be able to tell if there had been changes to those aspects of the sound - so I do take into account these brief demos people share here, so I don't think it's right to disregard them.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #208 of 2,453
Heavy price compared to AccessoryJack
yeah, pretty weird... why's it listed as retail for $699 there? from what country is their stock?

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #210 of 2,453
They are from Hong Kong, which is why their prices are less at times.

Here in Japan retail is ¥ 74,880 plus Tax.

American price is on the high side, but not surprising as Sony stuff is usually more expensive in US.

We'll see gray market sellers from Japan list the Z7M2 for far less on Amazon. Could be a while before this happens. I would not buy at full retail. Even people who liked the original Z7 hedged by saying it's not worth the $699 MSRP. I paid $339 for my Z7
:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back