Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Aug 12, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #46 of 2,453
The z1r earpads are made of lambskin while the z7s' aren't.
and the M2 will be made of lambskin? I aknowledge this, the fake leather of my Orig Z7s has disintegrated that i had to remove the pad and wash them to remove all the "dust" from the pads and clean the Z7

Aug 12, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #47 of 2,453
@pietcux
Interesting, perhaps I stand corrected.

What I'm referencing is the geometry seen on the box. When I was at the Z7 press conference, it was never advertised as such. Perhaps after much use, the two earpads arrive at the same final product :p

Sony_MDRZ1R_Photo_Main.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #49 of 2,453
and the M2 will be made of lambskin? I aknowledge this, the fake leather of my Orig Z7s has disintegrated that i had to remove the pad and wash them to remove all the "dust" from the pads and clean the Z7
The Z7M2 earpads are still the same. For the synthetic leather stuff maybe you could try using a tissue to wipe them after use as this is said to better preserve them.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #50 of 2,453
The Z7M2 earpads are still the same. For the synthetic leather stuff maybe you could try using a tissue to wipe them after use as this is said to better preserve them.
Thanks, i am also leaning more and more towards the MDR-Z1R

Aug 12, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #51 of 2,453
The XBA-Z5 is bassier

Ever since I got the triple comfort earbuds which made the sound even better along with a cable from wagnus, it's become my favorite thing to listen with, but either the triple comforts are not quite the right size so I'm hoping to get them in ML when the z1r iem is released or the triple comforts are irritating my ears and while they sound better, I can't listen with them for long periods of time as I feel that my ears are itchy.

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #52 of 2,453
I can't wait to hear these when they come out!

I really hope they can dethrone my TH-X00 Ebony (the original Z7 definitely could not). I will happily pay the full MSRP if they can!

Plus, IMHO they are one of the best looking full-sized headphones on the market.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #53 of 2,453
I also heard these cans myself in the past weekend. My impressions are close to those I quoted earlier: more open (however not much bigger) soundstage, more highs and less bass, etc. I regard these as a better tuned version from the original Z7.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #54 of 2,453
I also heard these cans myself in the past weekend. My impressions are close to those I quoted earlier: more open (however not much bigger) soundstage, more highs and less bass, etc. I regard these as a better tuned version from the original Z7.

Less bass on the z7mk2 is a good thing as the z7 had too much of it. Well the quality of it wasn't good.

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #55 of 2,453
I think the $700 MSRP is just a tad too much .. I think that a $500 MSRP sounds more realistic because it honestly sounds like just a revision.

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #56 of 2,453
What I want to know is if I put a tonne of power through it with a bass EQ, will the 70mm drivers will take it as well as the Z1R?
For basshead purposes, some of the Sony's are really competent.
Seems like it will definitely be direct competition to the Fostex TR-X00s as already alluded to - though will likely do better out of the box than each variant.
If it doesn't ring annoyingly loud like the Z1R when playing Finest hour by Submotion Orchestra, could definitely be an interesting mid-tier closed can and will hopefully shutdown the criticisms of the original.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #57 of 2,453
What I want to know is if I put a tonne of power through it with a bass EQ, will the 70mm drivers will take it as well as the Z1R?
For basshead purposes, some of the Sony's are really competent.
Seems like it will definitely be direct competition to the Fostex TR-X00s as already alluded to - though will likely do better out of the box than each variant.
If it doesn't ring annoyingly loud like the Z1R when playing Finest hour by Submotion Orchestra, could definitely be an interesting mid-tier closed can and will hopefully shutdown the criticisms of the original.
I don't think there is much to criticize for a bass head on Z7 or Z1R. If you drive it far out of it specs, it has a right to ring.

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #58 of 2,453
I don't think there is much to criticize for a bass head on Z7 or Z1R. If you drive it far out of it specs, it has a right to ring.

It wasn't clear in my last post, but this was when I wasn't driving the Z1R out of its specs. There is a sound it exaggerates in the aforementioned track and that just happens to be one of my all time favourites.
As a bass can the drivers take more than pretty much anything, but the amazing thing is how the rest of the frequency response doesn't sound like complete garbage whilst doing so.

If the new Z7 can do similar, critical listening and basshead listening in one can would be achievable. The restriction on the Z1R is price.
Mini hype.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #60 of 2,453
In order to maintain all these new technologies while trying to keep prices low, these headphones actually made in Thailand, but fret not, because Sony still employs very strict quality control. These headphones are made in the very same factory that produces the widely known MDR7506!​

>>Well, I was waiting for that announcement regarding the place of manufacture.
Sure, Sony has had outstanding success manufacturing most of their headphones
in Thailand - for many years.
Yet, when I pick up my Z7's to put them on, I get kind of a buzz from the well above average
build quality. IME this is at least partly due to their being manufactured in Japan.
Still, though, the place of manufacture doesn't mean as much to me as it once did -
though it does still matter.
Certain cultures; certain countries still seem to naturally excel in certain areas >
whether fine swiss watches or what have you.
I've got my eyes on this new Sony headphone, and I'm looking to pick one up
as soon as it's available in these parts.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back