Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Aug 10, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #31 of 2,440
Excellent coverage. I like your videos.

Silly question - is it a bad time to buy the Sony MDR-Z1R? Maybe a new version will be launched, such as MK2. What are your thoughts should you speculate?

Eventually are you planning on a comparison video between this new Z7 vs your Z1R?

Thanks for the compliment :) really appreciate it.

Well we highly doubt the MDR-Z1R will be updated all that soon (perhaps in 2-3years). So i think if you really like the sound sig, now isnt a bad time to buy it.

Also, we dont actually own a Z1R but we do plan to review the Z7 and a comparison with the Z1R is definitely in check!

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #32 of 2,440
Thanks for the compliment :) really appreciate it.

Well we highly doubt the MDR-Z1R will be updated all that soon (perhaps in 2-3years). So i think if you really like the sound sig, now isnt a bad time to buy it.

Also, we dont actually own a Z1R but we do plan to review the Z7 and a comparison with the Z1R is definitely in check!
Let me put 2 of your statements about the first edition Z7 straight.
  1. The Z7 has no comfort issue, the Z1R's comfort is the same as the Z7's. The complete built of the Z1R is based on the Z7. The have exactly the same clamping force.
  2. The earpads of the Z7 are formed like the ones of the Z1R and the Z7Mk2. The difference is only the shepskin of the Z1R vs the let me call it artificial skin of the Z7 plus the smaller outer diameter of the Z7's pads.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #35 of 2,440
Has an official North American price been determined?

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #36 of 2,440
Mexico got the MDR-Z7 two years after they were released. I'd better buy mine off accessory Jack when they have 'em.

I am currently listening to my MDR-Z7s to some Baroque music - Telemann trio sonatas to be specific - they sound lush and beautiful from a balanced connection such a WM1A, but at times i feel the high notes or high-mids could be improved and at times i hear the resonances, mostly on the bass notes, much like a bass hump with echoing

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #38 of 2,440
Let me put 2 of your statements about the first edition Z7 straight.
  1. The Z7 has no comfort issue, the Z1R's comfort is the same as the Z7's. The complete built of the Z1R is based on the Z7. The have exactly the same clamping force.
  2. The earpads of the Z7 are formed like the ones of the Z1R and the Z7Mk2. The difference is only the shepskin of the Z1R vs the let me call it artificial skin of the Z7 plus the smaller outer diameter of the Z7's pads.
Not quite.

The Z7 gets warm in ways that the Z1R doesn't.

The Z7 earpads do not have the varying contours of the Z1R, either.

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #39 of 2,440
Not quite.

The Z7 gets warm in ways that the Z1R doesn't.

The Z7 earpads do not have the varying contours of the Z1R, either.
Maybe your memory is wrong. Both get hot the same way and both have contoured earpads. I can tell because I use both on a daily basis since years, sorry. Will post a picture of the pads later. That is not to disqualify the Z7Mk2, just to avoid misunderstandings.

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #40 of 2,440
Z7 pad:
20180812_094756.jpg

Z1R and Z7pad:
20180812_094912.jpg

Aug 12, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #42 of 2,440
They look identical and regarding more openings mean more soundstage?
No, to me they nearly share the same soundstage. The advantage of the Z1R lies within the much more advanced driver and the paper mesh earcups. Those make the sound more resoluted and resonance less.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #43 of 2,440
The initial impression doesn't make it sound like a z5 sounding headphone which I was hoping for. And before anyone says to get the z1r headphone, I already have it and sorta like it, but it's still not similar to the z5 to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back