Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Aug 20, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #76 of 2,440
New video of the Z7M2 in vietnamese, this video has closer looks at the headphones. It's seems like they're made in Thailand as shown on the minute 6:34 if you pause it.

Yes, I think that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Anyway, I would think that the fit, finish, and consistency will be very good.
Still, there's much to be said for the outstanding quality of products actually made in Japan.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #77 of 2,440
I'm definitely looking forward to trying these..

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #78 of 2,440
I can't wait to hear these when they come out!

I really hope they can dethrone my TH-X00 Ebony (the original Z7 definitely could not). I will happily pay the full MSRP if they can!

Plus, IMHO they are one of the best looking full-sized headphones on the market.

Hey want to dethrone th-x00? Audioquest NightOwl Carbon, the Fostex didn't do it for me but NightOwl's are right there!

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #79 of 2,440
Hey want to dethrone th-x00? Audioquest NightOwl Carbon, the Fostex didn't do it for me but NightOwl's are right there!
I also really enjoyed the NightOwl. It has a very compelling signature for sure. I never did get enough time with the THxx headphones I had through here to compare, but yes, the NightOwl is really a nice headphone.

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #81 of 2,440
Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm afraid the SQ of the NightOwl (and NightHawk) don't do anything for me.
I've listened to them both on multiple occasions, and as much as I like their design and comfort, their muffled SQ was definitely not my cup o' tea.
And I feel the exact same way about the original Z7, which is why I stated earlier in this thread that I hope Sony voices the Z7M2 to be a more neutral sounding headphone.
Warm n' fuzzy has never been a signature that I've much cared for, but I do realize that there are many who do.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #83 of 2,440
Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm afraid the SQ of the NightOwl (and NightHawk) don't do anything for me.
I've listened to them both on multiple occasions, and as much as I like their design and comfort, their muffled SQ was definitely not my cup o' tea.

Agree with your impression of the Audioquests.

I'm hoping the Z7s sound like a more refined, spacious MDR-1000X outta the box with the ability to be both a fun (when EQ'd) can and a competent critical listening can. Pretty hard for a closed can though. Plus that $700-1000 range is saturated with very competent cans =/

Well, I hope so too, but not for that price. 900 usd? No way :-D

If they're anything like their predecessor, anything over £600 ($775) would be too much to warrant it right now =/ But as aforementioned, Sony's prices drop - look at the Z1R and MDR-1A (though the 1am2 came out helping to drop the price on the original).

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #84 of 2,440
Unboxing of the Sony MDR-Z7M2 and comparison with the Z7... in vietnamese

Not sure what to take about this guy first impressions, but he mentioned that original Z7 had emphasized mid-high, so there are glares from what he observed, where as MkII does not have this glare as in softer, more lush, less boomy and tighter + more punchy bass. I agree about the bass, and logical to improve upon, but to have more lush in the mid-high hmmm ? And Z7 has that emphasizes ? Hmm ? Ok...

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #87 of 2,440
A bit OT, but I hear AQ is stopping their headphone line production? Now that's one line that may stay in price.

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #88 of 2,440
11 days left and it will be available for 799 EUR at the Amazonian Shoppe.

I really like the optics and haptics of the Sony headphones. No fancy spongy adjustment construction. Maybe a rival for my current Denon AH-D5200 which is also awesome simple and sturdy build and provide very good sound presentation through all the frequencies. The Denon forums are nearly dead. I guess a lot of people are missing some very good headphones.

IMG_E3563.jpg

I just saw that there will be a new version of the Z7 few minutes ago. Already had the older model on my list. Really excited to hear the Z7M2. Im not yet ready and evolved enough to pull the trigger on the open MDR-Z1R. Maybe evil PSI- forces of my wallet distract me. :robot::dollar::robot:

What i hope from the Z7M2 is that it will have a bit more spacious sound over the Denon 5200 and a bit more deep rumble not only if the recording calls for it (i know that would mean coloration). Dont get me wrong. The Denon can get very low and punchy but not every time i call for it. :sweat_smile: Maybe i possess one of the most neutral headphone beasts at themoment :thinking: Of course i could EQ a bit... but as my current player is an A&K model the EQ does nearly nothing to bend the frequencies.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #89 of 2,440
Hm hm interesting, so are you taking the plunge for the Z7M2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back