Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Jan 6, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #1,126 of 2,453
I use those as my portable set, it's perfectly fine as is!
Obviously, to each their own, but it's simply my recommendation, and I did not say one cannot wear it portably. Do whatever you want. If I were to recommend a portable HP, it would be something along the lines of the MDR-1AM2, etc. Certainly, anyone can use anything portably. A recommendation is not to be construed as something one can or cannot do.

They are large headphones and require a rather large case. There's no mic. Long ass 3.5mm cable. Like I said, for people that want to wear them portably, go for it. My recommendation is not to lug around a large case and wear $600+ (retail) HPs walking around, rather, something physically less burdensome, costs less, and can take calls when they come in. Sony clearly does not market them as "portable headphones", as they do with the MDR-1AM2.

If someone wants a recommendation for a commuter car, I'm not going to recommend a Hummer, but shoot, if you want to commute in a Hummer, go for it.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #1,127 of 2,453
what? the portable thing? heh that's probably just a statement from size and slight incompetence (in regard to portable headphone use case) on isolation, I've seen and know a couple people that use their Z7s outdoors, heck one wears them on an airplane and still enjoy them just fine.
it's whatever you want to do with your own purchase.

that sounds pretty good indeed
Slight incompetence? Wow. Superiority complex much?

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #1,128 of 2,453
I thought you didnt recommend those for portable due to noise isolation being not as good for example vs 1000mx3 but then sound quality will suffer (

How isolating is the z7m2? Can it do -25db?

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #1,129 of 2,453
I thought you didnt recommend those for portable due to noise isolation being not as good for example vs 1000mx3 but then sound quality will suffer (

How isolating is the z7m2? Can it do -25db?
You must have me confused with someone else.

As headphones in general, they are a 100% recommendation. At an insane price of $298, they're an instant buy, no matter what you plan to do with them. So, I recommend you buy them, I just don't recommend you lug them around the town with you.

As far as mobility/portability, I go back and forth between the Sony 1000XM3, Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, B&W PX, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head right now. I rarely go wired when on the move, but I'll use the Sony MDR-1A here and there. I have a few others that I can fit in a thin case and roll with, but for the most part, there's too much going on (for me) when mobile to appreciate the extra fidelity of being wired. In my office, of course, all options are open and on the table (literally).

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #1,130 of 2,453
If someone wants a recommendation for a commuter car, I'm not going to recommend a Hummer, but shoot, if you want to commute in a Hummer, go for it.

Just for laughs:

9604357_thumb.jpg

DXB-6-5-8-1-headphones-2.jpg

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #1,133 of 2,453
Any other EU retailers got these in stock? Only seen them on Amazon UK for £587, but they’re not in stock another 1-2months

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,134 of 2,453
Baaah I misses the deal. Theres none atm hmmm (

I am on the go but I got no problems to have a wired connection. I also use wm1z as source and stream spotify via bluetooth ldac.

I guess my usage should be with 1000mx3 and zx507, due to lower resolution from spotify.
But ai still find wm1z to sound so much better even on bluetooth. I use iems atm its tia trio.

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,135 of 2,453
Baaah I misses the deal. Theres none atm hmmm (

I am on the go but I got no problems to have a wired connection. I also use wm1z as source and stream spotify via bluetooth ldac.

I guess my usage should be with 1000mx3 and zx507, due to lower resolution from spotify.
But ai still find wm1z to sound so much better even on bluetooth. I use iems atm its tia trio.
Yeah, the deal was great. It's one of things you just can't pass up, because it may never come back! That being said, you can still get them for a great price renewed/refurbished.

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #1,136 of 2,453
Yeah, the deal was great. It's one of things you just can't pass up, because it may never come back! That being said, you can still get them for a great price renewed/refurbished.

I think Il wait for the new 1000mx4 that should be the next big thing.

Unless someone wana sale me an z7m2 for a good price?

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #1,137 of 2,453
I think Il wait for the new 1000mx4 that should be the next big thing.

Unless someone wana sale me an z7m2 for a good price?
The XM3 are on sale everywhere, so the XM4 is just around the corner. Below is the FCC filing ahead of the US release. I wouldn't be surprised if we see something tomorrow at CES. That being said, pure SQ, I don't think they can compete with the Z7M2, however. Obviously, the XM4 will be mobile friendly, have ANC, LDAC, and it looks like finally multi-point.

https://fccid.io/AK8WH1000XM4

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #1,138 of 2,453
I use those as my portable set, it's perfectly fine as is!
I have tried them in a noisy setting and was quite amazed at the isolation, really impressive!

on isolation, I've seen and know a couple people that use their Z7s outdoors,
I didn't know this until I tried them.
:)

Yes.. they have been shipped. Should be receiving them tomorrow.

Thank you again for posting that deal at B&H
That was a shocking great deal!

Not sure you did the right thing. This headphone is a steal at 298 and not just because of the price but in absolute sense, they are superb all rounders...
Literally half price and worth it. They are above average performers in the massive midfi market.

Yeah, the deal was great. It's one of things you just can't pass up, because it may never come back!
Thanks for the link.
I missed this though, but it was a literal steal.

I have been able to get the z7m2 to perform even better, but the stock version already has a pretty well evened out signature, compared to both the z7 & the 1r...
It has the best average signature.

The driver itself has the same positive attributes, and drawbacks as the top model.

I did all manner of experimentation on it, and feel it can get close to the top model, but there is a small dip around 4-5khz that lessens trebles "presence" a bit which I could not elevate, so a touch of EQ to the rescue will make these perform as good as alot of other top models out there...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #1,139 of 2,453
Yes.. they have been shipped. Should be receiving them tomorrow.

Thank you again for posting that deal at B&H. A simple no brainer to get these and I am saying this when I already have the MDR Z1R & IER-Z1R.

Good to hear some are being shipped. Mine still say back ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back