Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 24, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #1,051 of 2,440
Something about the Kimber cable I don't see mentioned is the microphonics it introduces and also the creaking from it being so damn stiff. It's driving me mad with more quiet recordings, hasn't been a problem with Tool recordings. It would literally make a blind test impossible since as soon as you move your head slightly you'd know which cable was hooked up from the creaky feedback you'd get. I just hate that the stock 4.4 cable is so damn short!

On the bright side, going back and forth with the stock cable and the Kimber on the balanced output of my Schiit Jotunheim, I can say I do hear difference and the Kimber is much more pleasant. The Kimber most definitely sounds more open and brings the mids out more. I honestly believe I could pick it out in a blind test...if, like I said earlier, a fair one were even possible.

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #1,052 of 2,440
Something about the Kimber cable I don't see mentioned is the microphonics it introduces and also the creaking from it being so damn stiff. It's driving me mad with more quiet recordings, hasn't been a problem with Tool recordings. It would literally make a blind test impossible since as soon as you move your head slightly you'd know which cable was hooked up from the creaky feedback you'd get. I just hate that the stock 4.4 cable is so damn short!

On the bright side, going back and forth with the stock cable and the Kimber on the balanced output of my Schiit Jotunheim, I can say I do hear difference and the Kimber is much more pleasant. The Kimber most definitely sounds more open and brings the mids out more. I honestly believe I could pick it out in a blind test...if, like I said earlier, a fair one were even possible.

I've complained about those microphonics before, on the Z7 thread I think. Someone replied to say they don't hear it at all, but for me it makes the high price of those cables a big waste of money. I'll probably sell mine off next time there's a local CanJam or other meet.

Nov 25, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,053 of 2,440
I've complained about those microphonics before, on the Z7 thread I think. Someone replied to say they don't hear it at all, but for me it makes the high price of those cables a big waste of money. I'll probably sell mine off next time there's a local CanJam or other meet.
It very well may have been me! It's not nearly as bad on the OG Z7 for me though. Honestly it's not so bad on the Z7M2 that I won't use it, but it's definitely there.

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,054 of 2,440
My local Hifi store is selling the Sony Z7m2 for about $350 USD new and I was thinking of maybe picking them up. I got a pair of Sennheisers HD6XX and while they sounded great I felt they were a bit too veiled and lacked emotion. I was also thinking a closed back would be good for studying as someone is mowing their yard right now and I wish I had a closed back haha.

Is this a good price? Anything I should know before purchasing?

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #1,055 of 2,440
My local Hifi store is selling the Sony Z7m2 for about $350 USD new and I was thinking of maybe picking them up. I got a pair of Sennheisers HD6XX and while they sounded great I felt they were a bit too veiled and lacked emotion. I was also thinking a closed back would be good for studying as someone is mowing their yard right now and I wish I had a closed back haha.

I think they are a great buy at that price, especially new.

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #1,056 of 2,440

That’s a great price! What local hifi store is that, I may be interested as well!

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #1,057 of 2,440
Nov 27, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #1,058 of 2,440
Man I'd sell my Z7 before I parted with my Z7M2. Even though I actually like the look of the Z7 better.
What about the Z7's looks do you like more? Imo the M2s are more my thing, in fact it's one of my favorite cans in regards to asthetics along with the HD820

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #1,059 of 2,440
the M2 is stealthier for sure, the cable hang more fluidly too, tho not perfect.
the new cable location looks fancier, absuletely, but when you put away the M2(&Z1R) on to a desk, or just hold it in your hand by handling the cups closer together, the cable jack mash against each other, IMO that's a bit of an annoyance for a scratch freak like I am.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #1,060 of 2,440
What about the Z7's looks do you like more? Imo the M2s are more my thing, in fact it's one of my favorite cans in regards to asthetics along with the HD820

I prefer the silver accents I think from the Z7. I also just love that it's made in Japan. I've never seen one in person but I LOVE the HD820! I'd love to have one one day.

the M2 is stealthier for sure, the cable hang more fluidly too, tho not perfect.
the new cable location looks fancier for sure, but when you put away the M2(&Z1R) on to a desk, or just hold it in your hand by handling the cups closer together, the cable jack mash against each other, IMO that's a bit of an annoyance for a scratch freak like I am.

That bothers me too about the Z7M2! I'm also very aware of scratches with my headphones.

Nov 27, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #1,061 of 2,440
Hi, has anyone noticed any difference in sensitivity, from the first and second versions?.. and also compared to the z1r?

In other words, which one sounds the most sensitive?
I am referring to output level & efficiency.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #1,062 of 2,440
Hi, has anyone noticed any difference in sensitivity, from the first and second versions?.. and also compared to the z1r?

In other words, which one sounds the most sensitive?
I am referring to output level & efficiency.

They are both about the same between the mk1 and mk2 but I found the mk2 scale better with better amplification.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #1,063 of 2,440
The mk2 is a little more efficent as well.

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,064 of 2,440
Actually I would say the Z7M2 is a good bit more sensitive and easier to drive. When unplugging my Z7M2 and swapping the cable over to the Z7, leaving the volume untouched on my Jotunheim, I have to give it a good bit more volume to match it by ear. Officially the Z7 is rated at 70ohms and 102db/mw, while the Z7M2 is 56ohms and 98db/mw. Which would oddly suggest the Z7 is a little more sensitive/efficent than the Z7M2? Maybe someone else can chime in on exactly what those numbers mean. But to my ears the Z7M2 is easier to drive, and a good bit easier to drive.

One thing with the Z7 is the FR peak in the midrange. It can be downright painful if you're already listening towards the top of your loudness comfort level. The worst offender I've found is a Tool song called Right in Two, one of my absolute favorite songs by Tool. There's a couple points in the song where it gets pretty heavy, especially at 5:25ish, that main guitar riff is way louder and way more abrasive than the rest of the song/instruments. This absolutely does NOT happen with the Z7M2. The Z7M2 presents this song beaufitully and smooth all the way throughout. It's a pretty big difference and is a big reason why I prefer the Z7M2 over the Z7 based purely on SQ and listening enjoyment.

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #1,065 of 2,440
Actually I would say the Z7M2 is a good bit more sensitive and easier to drive. When unplugging my Z7M2 and swapping the cable over to the Z7, leaving the volume untouched on my Jotunheim, I have to give it a good bit more volume to match it by ear. Officially the Z7 is rated at 70ohms and 102db/mw, while the Z7M2 is 56ohms and 98db/mw. Which would oddly suggest the Z7 is a little more sensitive/efficent than the Z7M2? Maybe someone else can chime in on exactly what those numbers mean. But to my ears the Z7M2 is easier to drive, and a good bit easier to drive.

One thing with the Z7 is the FR peak in the midrange. It can be downright painful if you're already listening towards the top of your loudness comfort level. The worst offender I've found is a Tool song called Right in Two, one of my absolute favorite songs by Tool. There's a couple points in the song where it gets pretty heavy, especially at 5:25ish, that main guitar riff is way louder and way more abrasive than the rest of the song/instruments. This absolutely does NOT happen with the Z7M2. The Z7M2 presents this song beaufitully and smooth all the way throughout. It's a pretty big difference and is a big reason why I prefer the Z7M2 over the Z7 based purely on SQ and listening enjoyment.

Means that the Z7M2 requires less voltage, but more power to reach the same volume.

However, considering the different freq response, especially with the Z7 being dark around the mid-ranges, makes sense that perceptively it's harder to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back