Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Sep 8, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #826 of 2,440
Don't expect to use any cellphone, or a cheap dap, cheap CD player to make Z1R sing. Which mean Z1R need more expensive device to run it better, something like WM1Z, DMP-Z1, Paw Gold/Gold Touch, SP1000 and so on..
True.. In fact, IMHO (to my ears at least) the best sounding combination of headphones & DAP I've listened to is MDR-Z1R with WM1Z.. It's so complete & detailed, a beautiful blend of bass, mids & treble with wide soundstage, even for a closed-back.. Not even SP1000M, DMP-Z1, etc can do better..

Sep 15, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #828 of 2,440
The Z7M2 is far from analytical and flat. There is a bass boost to it but I wouldn’t call For bass heads. I love bass and wouldn’t say a true bass head but I love bass. These are boosted slightly and it’s tight. To compare the Sony Z7M2 I have a Bowers & Wilkins PX and the V-Moda Bassfit ( wish there was reviews on it) which is a sport wireless earphone. The Sony lacks the bass of even the PX but it’s not flat. I would put it slightly below the PX.

How do you like the V-Moda Bassfit? I'm looking at them for the gym.

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #829 of 2,440
This is some quite shocking pricing compared to the rest of the world. Addicted to Audio is currently showing the z7m2 for 649AUD and the Z1R for 1599AUD...naturally I ran over to their shipping page to see if they ship outside of Australia and the answer is “Australia only’.
I have found a way around on the shipping from Australia. IF you are interested PM me.

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #831 of 2,440
Hello!
I own Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones, I really like them, I like bass and comfort. Will there be a big difference if I buy a Sony MDR-Z7M2?

Here are a couple of impressions from earlier in this thread:

The Z7M2's bass sounds more upfront/visceral/immediate compared to the Z1R (the Z1R's bass sounds a bit far back, perhaps due to the vastly wider soundstage); the bass slam is more palpable. I consider the 1AM2 as the Z7M2's baby brother (I also have the 1AM2); if the Z7M2 feels as if you are surrounded by a wall of bass, the 1AM2 scales back the experience by two or three steps (but still carries that bass weight nevertheless).

I tried MDR-Z7M2 at one Sony store today & tested it using WM1A & ZX300.. It sure is a big headphone compared to my MDR-1AM2 and it's very comfortable to put on.. Regarding sound quality, the bass is very controlled, not that punchy.. Vocals tend stay at the back, a slightly clearer mids would be nice.. While the treble quite rolled off, a bit more presence & brilliance would be much preferred.. Soundstage is good, wider than my much cheaper MDR-1AM2.. USD600 is quite tempting though - luckily I don't have that kind of money now .. :)

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #833 of 2,440
Thank!
Do you recommend buying the MDR-Z7M2? Is there an alternative that is similar in convenience, sound quality and contains 4.4 output?
I really like my Sony MDR-1AM2, but I would like to get a more adult sound.

The Z7M2 are my favorite headphones but I don't own the 1AM2, and anyway I can't really answer your question as everyone's ears are different. Perhaps people that own both will chime in here.

Sep 20, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #834 of 2,440
There’s a huge leap in sound between those models in my opinion. Much fuller and specious sound in the z7m2 compared to the 1am2. Definitely worth an upgrade if you want bigger and better sound.

But if you are able to, do listen beforehand. The original z7 are also worth the buy and might come cheaper then the other pair.

And if anyone is interested I have a set of z7m2 for sale in the sale forum after I once again was lucky to buy the z1r.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #835 of 2,440
There’s a huge leap in sound between those models in my opinion. Much fuller and specious sound in the z7m2 compared to the 1am2. Definitely worth an upgrade if you want bigger and better sound.

But if you are able to, do listen beforehand. The original z7 are also worth the buy and might come cheaper then the other pair.

And if anyone is interested I have a set of z7m2 for sale in the sale forum after I once again was lucky to buy the z1r.
what do you say about bass?
Many people complain that the bass is z7m2 not particularly expressive.

Sep 20, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #836 of 2,440
The original is more bassy for sure but on the other hand people were complaining that the original were muddy. The z7m2 are clearer and more light in the sound. But once your ears adjust to the headset I doubt you will feel like you need more bass. I have all three sets at home right now but I’ve learned that it’s not good to test the headsets one on one because your ears will trick you or how do I explain it - the differences might be clear but if you listen to one of the sets for a longer period of time you might appreciate that sets sound and quality. If that makes sense

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #838 of 2,440
It has less midbass and bass quantiy than both the 1A and Z7 M1. Still I find the Z7 M2 bass to be just as tuneful. Bass quantity wise it has more the HD800s.

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #840 of 2,440

Users who are viewing this thread

Back