Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Dec 19, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #466 of 2,461
I don’t have an answer, but even the Z1R has a synthetic headband. The pads are lambskin but the headband is the same material you describe with the original Z7. I also have the original Z7 and find it better and better sounding all the time. For me the signature is remarkable.
No, the Z1R has Cow skin band. There is 0 thing synthetic on the Z1R. Even the paper chambers are from a very specific species of wood from Canada that was said to be more resistive toward humidity and so on

Dec 19, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #467 of 2,461
No, the Z1R has Cow skin band. There is 0 thing synthetic on the Z1R. Even the paper chambers are from a very specific species of wood from Canada that was said to be more resistive toward humidity and so on

Ok.....I had an almost microscopic tear, smaller than a Bic pen mark and it looked to be synthetic underneath. I stand corrected.

Dec 19, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #468 of 2,461
The under side isn't leather, just the top side. I am getting worried just hearing about the deterioration. Just to replace the band will be a substantial cost. I wonder it can be modded and changed to a lycra type of fabric.

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #469 of 2,461
Was able to listen to the Z7 M2 out of my own WM1Z at Magnolia Hifi yesterday using my own pure silver OCC cable and I'm very impressed. I love the fact that the Z7's gigantic bass is now tamed down substantially. Soundstage is also a little bit better and listener can hear a little bit more details. I am glad that Sony released the MK2 version and fixed most of the issues that I have with the original Z7. Price is a little high in my opinion but it is a better headphones than the MK1 for sure in my book. I may buy a set to audition at home against the HD800.

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #470 of 2,461
Was able to listen to the Z7 M2 out of my own WM1Z at Magnolia Hifi yesterday using my own pure silver OCC cable and I'm very impressed. I love the fact that the Z7's gigantic bass is now tamed down substantially. Soundstage is also a little bit better and listener can hear a little bit more details. I am glad that Sony released the MK2 version and fixed most of the issues that I have with the original Z7. Price is a little high in my opinion but it is a better headphones than the MK1 for sure in my book. I may buy a set to audition at home against the HD800.
Nice! How is that protruding sockets ? Will it be comfortable laying down in bed with ?

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #471 of 2,461
Nice! How is that protruding sockets ? Will it be comfortable laying down in bed with ?
I didn't pay attention to that but I'm sure that your local Bestbuy with Magnolia Hifi should have them. I actually brought along the modded Z7 m1 in for a comparison and I like the Z7 m2 better.

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #472 of 2,461
Hi everyone!
I'm an owner of the original Z7. I have them since they released a few years back and I love them to bits. Driving it with Chord Mojo, for me this is extremely good combination.
I have only one problem with it though. It seems like everyone is praising the construction and build quality of the original Z7. I mostly agree, however there is one thing which failed on me. The soft bottom part of the headband is made out of some kind of synthetic leather thing. The outer layer of this material has started to "dissolve" so to speak. Little pieces started coming down. Now I can see the foamy stuff underneath. I could only found replacement ear pads, but couldn't find replacement headband for it :frowning2:
Do you guys know if the new M2 uses the same material for the headband? Someone mentioned in earlier post that it is lambskin this time, can someone confirm this? Does the cushioning of headband has the same material as earpads?

I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger, but this issue worries me... any info would be appriciated.

I own both. The material covering that cushion looks and feels the same to me. The leather over the top has less texture, but whatever the material is over the cushion, that has not changed as far as I can tell.

As more of these age I hope to see options specifically for the MDR-Z7 family when I search Amazon for "headphone headband cushion sony MDR".

Dec 19, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #474 of 2,461
D8D9359C-1B65-4DD4-94CB-64E8C9E45525.gif

Good question, the Z1R like many is maybe too big.

Dec 19, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #476 of 2,461
I own both. The material covering that cushion looks and feels the same to me. The leather over the top has less texture, but whatever the material is over the cushion, that has not changed as far as I can tell.

As more of these age I hope to see options specifically for the MDR-Z7 family when I search Amazon for "headphone headband cushion sony MDR".

Thanks for the info. I will have a lookout for replacement cushions as well. Worst case I will buy some cheap generic one, not specifically made for Z7.
Even with this small issue, I think the Z7 is an awesome headphone.

Probably will buy the M2 as well, but I will never sell the original Z7 :)

Dec 19, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #478 of 2,461
Thanks for the info. I will have a lookout for replacement cushions as well. Worst case I will buy some cheap generic one, not specifically made for Z7.
Even with this small issue, I think the Z7 is an awesome headphone.

Probably will buy the M2 as well, but I will never sell the original Z7 :)

I am actually disappointed at the original Z7, but our taste may differs. I prefer clarity and transparency over warm and very bassy sound signature...hence why I like the Z7 m2 better.

Dec 19, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #479 of 2,461
I am actually disappointed at the original Z7, but our taste may differs. I prefer clarity and transparency over warm and very bassy sound signature...hence why I like the Z7 m2 better.
I too was disappointed at the M7 (beautiful build though) - and I didn't want to spend alot of extra money on cables etc to see if they may improve for my tastes. I'll be trying these in Japan next month - it'll be down to these and the Denon D7200. Opinions vary alot on the M7 and MKii differences but your comment sounds positive that I may be happy with the improvements.

Dec 19, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #480 of 2,461
I love everything about the original Z7. The build is great and I find the sound a nice complement to the Z1R. Technically the Z1R surpasses it on most levels, but there is a focus in the bass where it’s almost old fashion, like bass from the 90s. It goes great with EDM, and I like to think my upstream gear cleaned up the bass area? I listen to the Z7 more than the Z1R, maybe due to size? The Z1R IS big. Another plus is the original Z7 is on sale from time to time, I found mine for $360.

But I have no interest in the MK2, I’ll get a listen in when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back