Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Dec 1, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #437 of 2,453
my first impressions with them I would say they're an improved mdr-1a. better bass control (tight), better separation, wider soundstage and very similar fun sound signature.

I need more time and brain/headphone burn in, usually takes me a month.

GUYS, ABOUT COMFORT,
these things press on my head, what's going on?
I was skeptical when I saw that they weren't memory foam pads, so far not so good!
In regard to comfort, I'd say not quite as comfy as the 1AM2, but the 1AM2 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever owned. I certainly don't have any issue with the clamping force of the Z7M2. The only minor complaint in regards to comfort would be heat. But so long as I'm laid up in my chair listening. And really, it's not like you're gonna be jogging in these haha. Ugh that thought made me sweat just sitting here lmao.

Oddly enough, the Z7M2 has made me appreciate my 250ohm DT880 a bit more. I've had them for almost 9 years now and before I bought the Z7M2 I had grown bored to death of them. I almost even resented them lmao. But now the difference in sound from what I've been used to all week is something I can appreciate. It's funny because a couple days ago I was thinking I could just sell all my other headphones, but now I can see the need for multiple cans.

Dec 2, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #438 of 2,453
In regard to comfort, I'd say not quite as comfy as the 1AM2, but the 1AM2 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever owned. I certainly don't have any issue with the clamping force of the Z7M2. The only minor complaint in regards to comfort would be heat. But so long as I'm laid up in my chair listening. And really, it's not like you're gonna be jogging in these haha. Ugh that thought made me sweat just sitting here lmao.

Oddly enough, the Z7M2 has made me appreciate my 250ohm DT880 a bit more. I've had them for almost 9 years now and before I bought the Z7M2 I had grown bored to death of them. I almost even resented them lmao. But now the difference in sound from what I've been used to all week is something I can appreciate. It's funny because a couple days ago I was thinking I could just sell all my other headphones, but now I can see the need for multiple cans.
huh, my 1A gets hotter than z7m2. The clamp seems to be getting better thankfully.

my thoughts exactly, I was estimating how much I could get if I sell my other headphones. But nope, it's more fun to switch between headphones for different purposes. As for now, the z7m2 are a beast, and btw the price went back up.

Dec 2, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #439 of 2,453
huh, my 1A gets hotter than z7m2. The clamp seems to be getting better thankfully.

my thoughts exactly, I was estimating how much I could get if I sell my other headphones. But nope, it's more fun to switch between headphones for different purposes. As for now, the z7m2 are a beast, and btw the price went back up.
Man you got them for steal. How much was customs for you? And how did that even work? Like did you have to pay the PUS/Fedex guy or something?

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #440 of 2,453
Man you got them for steal. How much was customs for you? And how did that even work? Like did you have to pay the PUS/Fedex guy or something?
I actually sold my xbox one s along with 4 games to buy this, I was bored of console gaming anyway.

And oh boy, I gotta tell you I got lucky. the shipment was through EMS so I got them from the post office, I'm not sure whether the value the seller printed was low for customs or the lazy employee didn't bother to convert japanese yens. But he told me "there's a charge of 1.5$ on your shipment", I was like how much? "that would be 1.5 dollars, sir" , then I proceeded to pull a dollar out of my wallet and hand it to him, as I was looking for a 50 cent coin he said "that's fine, they don't accept metal coins, have a good day". Pretty bizarre I know.

to stay on topic, take 15 to enjoy your z7m2s with this video:

gotta love the low end.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #441 of 2,453
I actually sold my xbox one s along with 4 games to buy this, I was bored of console gaming anyway.

And oh boy, I gotta tell you I got lucky. the shipment was through EMS so I got them from the post office, I'm not sure whether the value the seller printed was low for customs or the lazy employee didn't bother to convert japanese yens. But he told me "there's a charge of 1.5$ on your shipment", I was like how much? "that would be 1.5 dollars, sir" , then I proceeded to pull a dollar out of my wallet and hand it to him, as I was looking for a 50 cent coin he said "that's fine, they don't accept metal coins, have a good day". Pretty bizarre I know.

to stay on topic, take 15 to enjoy your z7m2s with this video:

gotta love the low end.

Wait dude, what even is that? People is making this kind of super long themed videos now?

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #443 of 2,453
More comparison between the Z7M2 and the 1AM2. The 1AM2 feels so cramped now! Still not uncomfortable in the slightest but it’s nice having all that ear room in the Z7M2.

Really the only disadvantage I can think of with the Z7M2 after a week of ownership is that I can’t look at it and admire its beauty when it’s on my head and I can’t hear it’s beauty when I’m looking at it haha.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #445 of 2,453
Look like the price on ebay and in Japan has gone up. I should have bought one when several were going for $500 on ebay.

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #446 of 2,453
smoother bass than the other two, smoother
@Leonarfd I expect you'll be happy. It seems to me the Z7M2 represents all that Sony has learned from reactions to the Z7 and Z1R.

Like the bed Goldilocks said was "just right", it seems to me the Z7M2 has smoother bass than the other two, smoother low midrange than the Z7, slightly more midrange than both, stronger and smoother high midrange than both, plus a moderate increase in treble presence and smoother treble brilliance over the others. Or at least that's what I'm hearing, and I think that's what I think I'm seeing in these graphs:

(The above image apparently originated on a Korean audiophile forum. I found it on another forum founded by former Head-Fi renegades. We are banned from linking to that site, so I copied it over instead.)

MDR-Z7 graph:

Sony_MDR-Z7_r__ponse_en_fq.jpg

(The above image is from the MDR-Z7 thread here on Head-Fi, page 161.)

For more information, see: The Audio Spectrum Explained

And now back to just enjoying my Z7M2!
HeyHeyyy thanks! I compared the graph, calculated the algorith compared the dB precisely in each frequency, spending some time i found these results if someone gotta like it. These results are the frequency differences of Z7m2 compared to the old Z7.
Z7m2 to Z7
4hz: Beast clarity Hi Res
20hz +0,8
30hz - 2,5
40hz - 5
50hz - 5
60hz - 3
70hz - 2
80hz - 1
90hz =
100hz =
150hz =
200hz =
250hz +1,5
300hz +1,5
400hz +1
500hz +0,5
700hz - 1
800hz +1,5
1k =
1,3k +5
1,6k +2,5
2k +4
2,5k - 3
3k - 2
3,5k + 7
4k +3
4,5k =
5k +2,5
5,5k +5
6k +4
6,5k +1
7k =
7,5k - 1
8k =
8,5k +2,5
9k +3,5
9,5k +5
10k +5,5
11k +4
12k +5
13k +5,5
14k +4,5
15k +4,5
16k +4
17k +7
18k +7,5
19k +5
20k =
100khz: OVER 9000 Powa

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #447 of 2,453
Got em in house today, sounds good so far. They are comfy even for my unusual big head, and they dont get nearly as warm as many other closed headphones.
Sony MDR-Z7M2.jpg

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #448 of 2,453
…sounds good so far. They are comfy even for my unusual big head, and they dont get nearly as warm as many other closed headphones.

Fellow musician / engineer obviously. A few things. My head size and the distance from the top to my ears is unusual. I found the original MDR-Z7 fully extended just a touch shorter in extension than I'd like (enough to make me sell them after years of use). I have really thick hair on top which doesn't help and I'm not about to shave my head for a better fit (I'm one of those middle-aged Gen-X musicians stuck in the 80's). I know these pads are a bit different, though the headband is the same, I wonder if that addresses things, sometimes longer inner pad openings can make all the difference. How do you like that Beyerdynamic 1990? Their headband also just shy of what I need to reach my ears fully. I imagine they lack lowest sub bass stuff under 30 hz like most open cans. I see you have the HEDD 05 monitors. Those are nice, they were on my short list to buy when my Dynaudio BM6A (MK1, now called "Classic") went into the shop a year ago (where they still remain) then I got the Kali Audio LP-6. Best pair under $500, period, as they're the first I don't have to cut treble from (I cut -3 db on my Dynaudio, and all other monitors usually need -2 to -4 in cuts for my treble sensitive ears). Smooth & realistic.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #449 of 2,453
Fellow musician / engineer obviously. A few things. My head size and the distance from the top to my ears is unusual. I found the original MDR-Z7 fully extended just a touch shorter in extension than I'd like (enough to make me sell them after years of use). I have really thick hair on top which doesn't help and I'm not about to shave my head for a better fit (I'm one of those middle-aged Gen-X musicians stuck in the 80's). I know these pads are a bit different, though the headband is the same, I wonder if that addresses things, sometimes longer inner pad openings can make all the difference. How do you like that Beyerdynamic 1990? Their headband also just shy of what I need to reach my ears fully. I imagine they lack lowest sub bass stuff under 30 hz like most open cans. I see you have the HEDD 05 monitors. Those are nice, they were on my short list to buy when my Dynaudio BM6A (MK1, now called "Classic") went into the shop a year ago (where they still remain) then I got the Kali Audio LP-6. Best pair under $500, period, as they're the first I don't have to cut treble from (I cut -3 db on my Dynaudio, and all other monitors usually need -2 to -4 in cuts for my treble sensitive ears). Smooth & realistic.
I still have som room in the adjustment of the headband, my biggest problem usually is that my ears hurt since they are touching the plastic infront the driver etc. And that is not a case here, just hope they do not compress to much in the pads over time. Listened for some hours now, this is such a different sound than the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs I just sold. Much more airy and fun, the sub bass is very enjoyable. Can not really find any song that I dont like the sound of in the Z7M2.

About the DT1990, they are very good. Specially if you mix and want use something else than speaker to nitpick on tracks. While still being very enjoyable to listen with on good recorded music. A good upgrade from the DT880 and DT990.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #450 of 2,453
Got em in house today, sounds good so far. They are comfy even for my unusual big head, and they dont get nearly as warm as many other closed headphones.
How do you like them compared to the DT1990 PRO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back