Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Dec 8, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #227 of 440
  Mine also just arrived. Excellent quality, as usually. Only drawback is the used plugs, as the locking is not very confortable to screw in, but it is not a big deal. The plugs fit secure enough without it.
And going balanced is excellent move indeed...:)

Here's my way to wrok with FAW's Z7 cable.

Screw the nut on HP first, unclockwise twist cable left/right then screw in nut.

And you'll get perfect routing cables.

Maybe few time to firure out how many turns unclockwise should twist.

I'm waiting my Pearstone's locking plugs to try, if better fit I'll replace these ebay plugs.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #228 of 440
Hey how important is it to use 3M Micropore tape Vs something like 3M Durapore?

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #229 of 440
Being that I already love the Stock sound of the Z7 I decided to mix things up a bit.
I wanted to retain some of that Signature

I went with the 3M DuraPore tape It seem slightly thicker and probably more sounds reflective.

Left all the ports wide open and all Cables stock
Taped only the wire terminals on the drives
Taped in a way to allow the Cups Cross section to remain functional

Sounds Awesome!

Thanks guys!

beyersmile.png

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #230 of 440
Now, to those who would love even "deeper bass, larger staging, and more trebles, reduced mid ringing". This step is irreversible as the covering net will be damaged permanently. I opened up a driver to experiment it, but there was no way to remove this filter other than cutting the net a little

"remove this center lense filter". Be warn, Do not do this before the previous dampening mod. Once again, do this at your own "risk" as I won't be held responsible for the damages that you have done to it

I'm having a really hard time resisting this mod..

pretty sure i'm going to do this..
hmm did Sony intentionally dumbed down the Z7.. knowing d@mn well the 70mm could be pushed allot further..
ph34r.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #232 of 440
Dec 12, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #233 of 440
Couldn't resist!!

Did the Center filter mod and Pad Mod..

Holy SH!T !!

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #235 of 440
Hehe I know right!

The outstanding quality and craftsmanship of the Z7 makes it a breeze to take apart and mod.
Almost like it was intentional :D

I've taken them apart a few times now and haven't added a single scratch to them!

Thanks Japan!

But.. in my experimental naïveté Inhave created a dilemma..

Whitigir after removing the Center Lens Filters.

The Z7 sounds amazing but now has to much Detail!!!

Any recommendations? I think ill create a few interchangeable felt style filters that will velcro on..

:-0

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #236 of 440
Hehe I know right!

The outstanding quality and craftsmanship of the Z7 makes it a breeze to take apart and mod.
Almost like it was intentional :D

I've taken them apart a few times now and haven't added a single scratch to them!

Thanks Japan!

But.. in my experimental naïveté Inhave created a dilemma..

Whitigir after removing the Center Lens Filters.

The Z7 sounds amazing but now has to much Detail!!!

Any recommendations? I think ill create a few interchangeable felt style filters that will velcro on..

:-0

That is a good idea. I have not experienced any of the different filters at that spot yet. You may want to help. Yes, Z7 is a tank. I like details a lot, me leaving it open was what I loved so far :wink:

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #237 of 440
That is a good idea. I have not experienced any of the different filters at that spot yet. You may want to help. Yes, Z7 is a tank. I like details a lot, me leaving it open was what I loved so far :wink:

Appreciate the feedback! I'll do some experimenting :) maybe I'll get use to it.

I'll post some more photos Later. On the progress

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #238 of 440

For Anyone considering doing the Center Filter Mod

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #239 of 440
Sharks with freakin Laser Beams !!

You have been warned !!

but it's awesome =)

popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #240 of 440
Filter Mod. Continue on page 17
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread