Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Nov 10, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #197 of 440
Regarding the Switchcraft crew on connectors, indeed, they seem to fit the Z7 perfectly.  However, there is a chance of connections issues as the channel sections on the tip may not line up to the contact points within the Z7 connector housing.  I'll be able to confirm once I make a cable using the connectors.  Here's an image of it with the screw crown fully screwed down.  Not sure what metal (brass/copper) is used, but the meter indicated 2 ohms per channel.

However, I must say I'm a little disappointment on what I received from Full Compass.  The set I received looks like something shipped directly from China with the typical inconsistent quality as indicated on the inconsistent barrel texture (top is textured, the bottom looks smoothed out or has too many coats of paint) and a few nicks on the barrel surface:

So, you might want to pay the extra in hopes for a better quality and/or sealed set from another source as mine came loose in a small zip-lock type bag.  However, it looks like there are other options as these type of screw-crown connectors seems to be specifically made for specific wired applications and a similar product from Pearstone/Sennheiser are available with much lower prices from the Switchcrafts:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823882-REG/Pearstone_MLC_SE_Locking_1_8_3_5mm_TRS.html

Thank you for pics and reports. I will be trying on both the switch craft and the pears tone in a few days. I will report back

Nov 10, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #198 of 440
You don't need to actually make a cable to see if your plug is making proper contact. Tale your digital meter and measure across the tip and ring connectors on the plug. If you are reading around 70-ohms then you have a good connection.

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #199 of 440
The switch craft connectors appear to be Yellow-Brass, and look to be without gold plating. The screwing mechanism is tougher and harder to roll in than Sony plugs.

The core terminals look to be of the same Yellow brass materials and while the Rings appear to be Nickel or Zinc alloy. According to those, the sound quality on these won't be ideal...but...whatever.

If Furutech could have a screw in 3.5mm plugs .... damn it

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #200 of 440
The pears tone is a much better build, the locking mechanism is smooth operating just like the Sony stock cables. Have yet to test fit, but the terminals and the body appear to be 24k gold plated, very smooth and there is no tin or nickel parts. It comes in a well packed bag with logo and info on it as much as warranty. Awesome !

Made in Philippines btw

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #202 of 440
Made my cables too. Just want to confirm that the plugs is a bit tricky to work on if you want to do it with large size AWG. Otherwise, it is a breeze and very easy to solder on. The quality is actually much better than I expected. The plugs appear to be made of very good quality and thick 24k gold plated. The snapping mechanism is also very secure and tight too.

The sound I got is smooth, greatly detailed and layering of the edges are *Smooth clean and clear. No micro distortions and or harsh trebles on the edges extensions, which most bad quality connectors do to my ears.

Remember to buy it authentic quality :). I had always been using Furutech, Oyaide, Ranko Acoustic....etc...brand name stuff. These plugs surpassed my expectations and is on par with the 2 most pronounced brands (Furutech and Oyaide) as far as sound quality goes

Picture for attentions...18AWG cables, and with locking mechanism, that is too awesome. It could fit as large as 16 AWG if you want or dare to do. It would be overkill though

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #203 of 440
Here is the Pearstone on Z1R fitting. It fit just similar to stock, even though the locking need a little more rolling forces than stock, but it works out very well. However, it doesn't have the retaining ring to stop the cables from rotating around like the stock plugs do

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #204 of 440
Here is the Pearstone on Z1R fitting. It fit just similar to stock, even though the locking need a little more rolling forces than stock, but it works out very well. However, it doesn't have the retaining ring to stop the cables from rotating around like the stock plugs do

WOW, perfect!

Thanks, Whitigir

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #205 of 440
The pears tone is a much better build, the locking mechanism is smooth operating just like the Sony stock cables. Have yet to test fit, but the terminals and the body appear to be 24k gold plated, very smooth and there is no tin or nickel parts. It comes in a well packed bag with logo and info on it as much as warranty. Awesome !

Made in Philippines btw

Sorry if the answer is obvious or previously answered... But please confirm on the wiring to the 3.5mm jack. It's a stereo jack, but the cable that goes in to each cup is mono. When soldering the cable do you short the left/right channel, or is one of the channels grounded? Which one? Thanks!

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #206 of 440
Finally got around to doing the surgical tape dampening and solid silver internal wiring upgrades and after spending the WHOLE DAY, I'm finally sitting down to give them another listen.  I also made a new cable to complement the new silver on the inside with a full set of silver wires on the outside :-D

What do ya think of the cable?

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #207 of 440
Sorry if the answer is obvious or previously answered... But please confirm on the wiring to the 3.5mm jack. It's a stereo jack, but the cable that goes in to each cup is mono. When soldering the cable do you short the left/right channel, or is one of the channels grounded? Which one? Thanks!

I found today when making my new cable that the 3.5mm jacks that go into the headphones are still stereo jacks (NOT MONO!).  Rather than the ground being the sleeve, it is the ring (middle piece of the 3).  It goes Sleeve, Ring, Tip, and you'll want your Signal wire (red/positive) to connect to your Tip connection, and your Ground wire (black/negative) to connect to the Ring connection.

On the 3.5mm plug going to your phone/MP3 player, the Tip will be your Left channel Signal wire (Left Red/Positive), the Ring will be your Right channel Signal Wire, and the Sleeve will be the ground for both channels (2 wires connect here).

Hopefully that helps :)

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #208 of 440
I found today when making my new cable that the 3.5mm jacks that go into the headphones are still stereo jacks (NOT MONO!).  Rather than the ground being the sleeve, it is the ring (middle piece of the 3).  It goes Sleeve, Ring, Tip, and you'll want your Signal wire (red/positive) to connect to your Tip connection, and your Ground wire (black/negative) to connect to the Ring connection.

On the 3.5mm plug going to your phone/MP3 player, the Tip will be your Left channel Signal wire (Left Red/Positive), the Ring will be your Right channel Signal Wire, and the Sleeve will be the ground for both channels (2 wires connect here).

Hopefully that helps :)

Thanks! That solves a major part of the puzzle :ok_hand:

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #209 of 440
Finally got around to doing the surgical tape dampening and solid silver internal wiring upgrades and after spending the WHOLE DAY, I'm finally sitting down to give them another listen.  I also made a new cable to complement the new silver on the inside with a full set of silver wires on the outside :-D

What do ya think of the cable?

Nice cables and touch of color for sure. I love DIY projects as it gives more personal tastes. Did you mention that you opened up a stock Z7 cables ? Any chance that I may see the picture ? I want to know if they use the same one Z1R does. Here is Z1R stock cables with marked terminals , and I never opened up Z7 stock cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back