Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Oct 17, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #167 of 440
Eh, decided to go with Oyaide connectors instead.  Just got my parts ordered for the wiring mod and to build a set of more manageable cables.  I'll submit pictures once completed :)

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #169 of 440
Check out lavricables.com, that's where I ordered the wire I'll be using to do my internal wiring, as well as to make aftermarket headphone cables.  2m of the solid silver braided wiring is what I went with, I figured that would give me enough to make the cables as well as do the internal wiring :)

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #171 of 440

Ok, it will fit. (I use ebay one on Z1R)

But Sony's plug is plug-in and a click then tight the nut.

The ebay one is plug, needs tight the nut then click.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #173 of 440
How is the headphone jack fastened into the headphone cup? Does it have a nut on the back side to secure it? I haven't disassembled the Z7 yet but I have modded a lot of headphones in the past. I'm thinking I may want to change the Z7 from 3.5mm to 2.5mm if possible.

It would be nice to be able to find the same plugs that Sony uses or be able to disassemble the ones that come with the phones. Anyone know where to get these plugs?

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #174 of 440
  How is the headphone jack fastened into the headphone cup? Does it have a nut on the back side to secure it? I haven't disassembled the Z7 yet but I have modded a lot of headphones in the past. I'm thinking I may want to change the Z7 from 3.5mm to 2.5mm if possible.

It would be nice to be able to find the same plugs that Sony uses or be able to disassemble the ones that come with the phones. Anyone know where to get these plugs?

Why would you want to change to 2.5mm?  Just a convenience thing?

As far as OEM replacement plugs, no idea where to source them from :-/

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #177 of 440
Awesome picture, was it your works > or did u find it from the net ? Sony had been using a lot of not friendly toward reusable parts lately, and that is including the Z7 stock sockets ....

You can say that again.  Typical proprietary construction. Luckly, standard 3.5mm TR/TRS works just fine without issues in my experience.  It's pretty much impossible to reuse the original connector, accessories, and screw housing using third party cables/conductors.

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #178 of 440
Awesome picture, was it your works > or did u find it from the net ? Sony had been using a lot of not friendly toward reusable parts lately, and that is including the Z7 stock sockets ....

Just found Z7's balanced cable on shelf, try to disassemble and check if they may use to recable.
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #179 of 440

You can say that again.  Typical proprietary construction. Luckly, standard 3.5mm TR/TRS works just fine without issues in my experience.  It's pretty much impossible to reuse the original connector, accessories, and screw housing using third party cables/conductors.

I still wish to use locking 3.5mm on Z7/Z1R, Switchcraft 35HDLBAU should be best fitting one. 

I can't found in myy country, but easy to purchase in north american.

May someone help to comfirm this?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back