Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Aug 22, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #436 of 440
OK so green to 1, red to 2 and blue/white to 3? excuse the art

Standard affair tip is positive and ring is negative. The sleeve is unused. If you have shielding just trim it down, I just used the two wires.

Check out markertek.com they have cheap locking connectors.

IMG_20200822_121653.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #437 of 440
If your just making a cable that goes to 3.5mm then it will be..

Tip = Right
Ring = Left
Sleeve = Both negatives joined

May 16, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #438 of 440
So I found a used pair of Z7 here on the forums, and the plan was to mod them with the surgical tape and silver wiring. I sat down last night and opened them up to mod.

Lo and behold, they were already modded! The seller either didnt know or didnt tell me. The tape mod was pretty poorly done, so I pulled it out and redid it. Also there was a large disk of foam in the cup, about 3 inches in diameter which I removed. I assume this was part of the mod that was done and not part of the stock cup?

As a second quick question, I noticed while doing the surgical tape mod that I covered the small 3mm or so vent hole going from the front to the back of the driver housing. I assume this is going to have a negative effect and I should open it up again?

Jul 18, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #439 of 440
So I ended up pulling out the center felts and I like how it sounds. But ultimately they're just a little bright now and my ears fatigue quickly. I'd like to replace those center felts, but I no longer have them. Could I just use medical tape? Or where could I source a small amount of a similar felt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back