Sony MDR-Z1R In classical music

IS Sony MDR-Z1R suitable for classical music

• Total voters
Sep 27, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #181 of 214
Finally got them, they sound awesome, no damage to the HPs and the damage to the case was minimal, just a drop of super glue to the detached screw and i am done.

Some first impressions. Like a veil being lifted from my muisc wow, they kill the XBA-Z5 and the MDR-Z7
1538096355112906616997.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #182 of 214
Listening to Monteverdi The sacred music four volume series, released by Hyperion records (Robert King, the King's Consort) Damn, delicious voices, the tenor and the sopranos very nice liquid smooth flow of music, the reverb detail so accurate. The violins and the organ (never heard this organ well on the MDR-Z7). The full choir nice warmth and enough room to avoid sounding congested.

There is no single drop of detail lost, not even when full choir sings together with the Brass section, the organ doesn't get lost nor do the trombones/trumpets and violins

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #183 of 214
Nice, glad you like them. But no they don't kill the Z7, they improve on them.

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #184 of 214
Nice, glad you like them. But no they don't kill the Z7, they improve on them.

When I first heard the Z7; I thought that the Z1R was 10% different.

Now? Can’t put a percentage on the difference......the Z1R is different. IMO

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #185 of 214
2A735B45-656A-41F6-B8D1-6551A8DA700A.gif

Listening to Monteverdi The sacred music four volume series, released by Hyperion records (Robert King, the King's Consort) Damn, delicious voices, the tenor and the sopranos very nice liquid smooth flow of music, the reverb detail so accurate. The violins and the organ (never heard this organ well on the MDR-Z7). The full choir nice warmth and enough room to avoid sounding congested.

There is no single drop of detail lost, not even when full choir sings together with the Brass section, the organ doesn't get lost nor do the trombones/trumpets and violins

Not to rain on your parade, but once you hear them from the TA amp with the Kimber cable and 1A as a source with the cradle; you will be in tears. I still need the Audioquest Carbon USB, which I get next month to finish it all.

I’m listening to an HD soundtrack at the moment with them; they are basicly everything I’ve ever wanted from a headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #187 of 214
Hi Guys, i recently bought the z1r. Does anyone have any experience with the MUC-B20BL1 Kimber cable? it seems like there is a new version with the same connections. are there any difference? Thanks

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #188 of 214
66E03052-3F11-4336-811A-DBCC08C4E1E5.png
Hi Guys, i recently bought the z1r. Does anyone have any experience with the MUC-B20BL1 Kimber cable? it seems like there is a new version with the same connections. are there any difference? Thanks

That is actually an older cable which is 3.5mm X 3.5mm to 3.5mm X 3.5mm. The same one came with the Z7 Headphone except not made with Kimber cable. It fit an older Sony PHA3 portable amp also a way to go balanced with the Sony TA amp. Basicly balanced is 4.4mm now and there is not much support for the 3.5X2 balanced method.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #189 of 214

That is actually an older cable which is 3.5mm X 3.5mm to 3.5mm X 3.5mm. The same one came with the Z7 Headphone except not made with Kimber cable. It fit an older Sony PHA3 portable amp also a way to go balanced with the Sony TA amp. Basicly balanced is 4.4mm now and there is not much support for the 3.5X2 balanced method.

since i have the pha 3 it works for me, but does it sound any different from the newer kimber kables? does anyone know?

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #190 of 214
since i have the pha 3 it works for me, but does it sound any different from the newer kimber kables? does anyone know?

Perfect. I have no experience listening to that exact cable, though the 4.4mm MUC-B20SB1 was a big improvement over the 3.5mmX2 balanced cable that came with the Z7.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #191 of 214
I think which cable balance design used shouldn't change how it sound... The changes from single ended depends mostly on the amp and the headphone itself... What'd be different is the convenience, so you have the PHA 3 NOW, good but then you'd need to change cable or make an adapter yourself if you want to use the same balanced cable with different amp. The 4.4mm is the more widely used, future proof standard.

Maybe only if you can find a good deal for it used? It's an old model after all. Shouldn't be too hard to find some.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #192 of 214
One th9ng i have noted with the MDR-Z1R is that you don't need to cranck the volume to super loud so you are able to hear quiet instruments

Dec 19, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #193 of 214
How's everyone doing here? As this year comes to a close and after using a variety of headphones, I find my self appreciating the Z1R as a pair of classic JBL speakers in a treated room (my uncle is a JBL fanboy lol). It reminds me so much of a floor standing dynamic speaker presentation, especially when compared to headphones such as the LCDi4/4z/HE1000. This closed back headphone is simply wonderful, and I am hanging on to these for as long as I can.

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #195 of 214
Ok guys, I'm joining this thread because ALL I listen to is classical music (3000 CDs) and I just sold the HD800S to get a Z1r. I know it's a bold move. But as much as I use to be impressed by the HD800S, with time I ended up liking more the Audeze (LCD3) and many other fuller bodied presentation. Honeslty, I've tried everyting with the HD800S, tubes, EQ,....I give up. It's clinically perfect, but lack a bit of soul. Sure, other cans will lose on details, but my concert seats do to in real life.
Cheers !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back