Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Dec 26, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #271 of 644
So I'm guessing the sony mdr1r bt mk2, controls for sound high quality is the same, kind of a pain...

I tried the MDR-10RBT and the MDR-1RBT (not MK2).
Yes. Same pain in the A.
I only was able to confirm the activation of Aptx on the MDR-10-RBT through the notification message on my phone about a connection with an Aptx device.
But this of the led blinking one, two or three times, this must have been the hallucination of who wrote the manual under effect of psychotropic substances.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #274 of 644
It is potentially a dumb question in a thread about a specific basshead headphone, but, if you would like to have an headphone with enough low line to make your dubstep collection come to life, without sacrificing too much overall sound quality, in Bluetooth, price doesn't matter..., what would you buy and why?
And are there bt hifi basshead headphones? Something more like the mdr1rbtmk2 but with much better (and more) bass?

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #275 of 644
According to one member the ue9000 should be on your radar.

It is potentially a dumb question in a thread about a specific basshead headphone, but, if you would like to have an headphone with enough low line to make your dubstep collection come to life, without sacrificing too much overall sound quality, in Bluetooth, price doesn't matter..., what would you buy and why?
And are there bt hifi basshead headphones? Something more like the mdr1rbtmk2 but with much better (and more) bass?

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #276 of 644
According to one member the ue9000 should be on your radar.

You mean for the category hifi with magic bass, or for basshead which does not sacrifice too much quality?
I have read here that many people claim the superiority of the mdr1rbtmk2 over the ue9000 in everything.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #278 of 644

Add some EQ to the 950, for BT and for the price, it is excellent for dub step. it has a slower, rounder bass. More suited to hip hop, dub, dub step, dnb than that the fast snappy kicks of trance, edm. It does good on electro basses. Some techno is quite good. But if I want a faster kick, my hd25 and 7550 is going to provide it.

Quite like what I heard from the ue6000, haven't heard the ue9000. Thought the bass wasn't as controlled on the ue6000 as it was on my denon d600s. A bit one note. On the 950, the bass is actually quite good, seems less one note, but a bit loose. When the DSP is engaged, it can almost be a bit distorted. But hey, that's that 'club sound'.

too my memory, the UE6000 did low bass better than the MDR-1r series. In fact, the 1r, just didn't have enough low end for my liking. The 950 is much better in this respect. Also, for portable usage, I'm finding the 950 better isolating with no interference from wind.

In store they may have demo 950AP versions, which are quite similar to the BT sound without the bass boost.

Edit: just did some testing with 950Bt with some dub step. Seems like Sony practically designed this headphone for this music style. The Electro Mode suit the frequency ranges of the bass drops without losing any clarity to the rest of the range. Oddly this isn't the case with other music styles. I think a lot of it has to do how these tracks are mastered really to push the bass range clearly to the foreground.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #279 of 644
Just got back from a meet. I threw my XB950BT at random to folks for some feedback, and... pretty much everyone thought they costed a couple of hundreds with the way they sounded.

So yeah... the mods worked, guys. This crowd runs mostly high-end electrostats, LCD-2/3, HE-560/HE-6, or Sennheiser HD800, so getting them to say something is "good" would require... quite a bit of effort (or clever engineering). And these folks ain't being nice, either. If something sucks, they'd push it down the pit of hell in a split second.

This headphone downright doesn't compare to the top-end crowd, but considering portability, features, sound quality, and the PRICE, for $100 (or maybe $50 more?) they are quite a good deal after the mods.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #281 of 644
Quote:
   If you'd like, I can also do a comparison with the old M50... (no difference compared to the M50X as far as I can tell)

sorry for the late response, but would you mind comparing the two?  I am very interested in the difference, as the m50 is supposedly raved as being a high standard for the price range.  also, what about the m50 vs m40? thanks a bunch!

edit: and I will definitely consider modding my 950 when I have enough time. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #282 of 644
Add some EQ to the 950, for BT and for the price, it is excellent for dub step. it has a slower, rounder bass. More suited to hip hop, dub, dub step, dnb than that the fast snappy kicks of trance, edm. It does good on electro basses. Some techno is quite good. But if I want a faster kick, my hd25 and 7550 is going to provide it.

Quite like what I heard from the ue6000, haven't heard the ue9000. Thought the bass wasn't as controlled on the ue6000 as it was on my denon d600s. A bit one note. On the 950, the bass is actually quite good, seems less one note, but a bit loose. When the DSP is engaged, it can almost be a bit distorted. But hey, that's that 'club sound'.

too my memory, the UE6000 did low bass better than the MDR-1r series. In fact, the 1r, just didn't have enough low end for my liking. The 950 is much better in this respect. Also, for portable usage, I'm finding the 950 better isolating with no interference from wind.

In store they may have demo 950AP versions, which are quite similar to the BT sound without the bass boost.

Edit: just did some testing with 950Bt with some dub step. Seems like Sony practically designed this headphone for this music style. The Electro Mode suit the frequency ranges of the bass drops without losing any clarity to the rest of the range. Oddly this isn't the case with other music styles. I think a lot of it has to do how these tracks are mastered really to push the bass range clearly to the foreground.

Hey thanks!

You mean, to increase highs and mids with the EQ to compensate the amount of bass?
How do they respond to EQ? In my tests with many other BT Headphones I noticed that with EQ some improve a lot, others almost nothing.
I am almost convinced. Although I am sure that of all what I tested I will only keep the Fidelio M2BT, which also have a very nice warm rumbling bass, I may order these to compare and see if I want to keep them as dubstep headphones (if the Fidelio are not enough. I am realizing now that I did not tested them yet with dubstep. When the replacement arrives I'll do)

Just got back from a meet. I threw my XB950BT at random to folks for some feedback, and... pretty much everyone thought they costed a couple of hundreds with the way they sounded.

So yeah... the mods worked, guys. This crowd runs mostly high-end electrostats, LCD-2/3, HE-560/HE-6, or Sennheiser HD800, so getting them to say something is "good" would require... quite a bit of effort (or clever engineering). And these folks ain't being nice, either. If something sucks, they'd push it down the pit of hell in a split second.

This headphone downright doesn't compare to the top-end crowd, but considering portability, features, sound quality, and the PRICE, for $100 (or maybe $50 more?) they are quite a good deal after the mods.

Bill-P Could you tell me if these Mods are easy to do? And would you suggest these headphones also without mods?

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #283 of 644
Hey thanks!

You mean, to increase highs and mids with the EQ to compensate the amount of bass?
How do they respond to EQ? In my tests with many other BT Headphones I noticed that with EQ some improve a lot, others almost nothing.

Well, you may enjoy there default tone signature without any EQ. For music styles like dubstep, I think the tuning they have by default is fine. It allows you to turn up the volume and really enjoy the bass. Headphones like the UE9000 and UE6000, have bass emphasis to sound good with a majority of popular music styles, whereas the 950 is.. Well.. Its even marketed as Extra Bass.

They do EQ very well, and I find dropping the bass range by about 6db and extending the high end gives a more natural sound. I've been using these quite a bit recently and a lot of times I'm fine not even EQing them for a more heavy bass experience. For a lot of listeners, bass in your face all the time would be fatiguing, and a lot of music wouldn't sound right.

The driver is quite good, and I wouldn't be surprised that it is comparable to other higher end Sony models. The angled drivers help with imaging and he can seems like a great candidate for modding.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #285 of 644
I updated the EQ on CanOpener to get a bit more precision. I used my Sennheiser HD650s as a reference being fed with maximum bass boost from the C5D. The 950 would need to be seriously tamed in the bass to be equalized similar to the 650 without bass amplification, and it's the best part of the 950s character - I'm just trying to balance it out.

I don't feel like the midrange and treble on these headphones are even or neutral. So I've sloped the lower part of the mid range down to get rid of that resonance. The upper mid range and high range is actually very nice. It doesn't have the detail that the senns do and no amount of EQ boosting is going to make that happen so it seems.
In the bass range Ive sloped it more aggressively on the mid bass and left the sun bass a bit extended.

And beyold, I'm able to listen - scratch that, enjoy Avro Part at this very moment without wincing. Yes the bass should be even tamed more for classical and jazz but for a lot of electronic music and modern music production styles to me this EQ setting is very good. Closer to my (now sold) ah-D600s. Really, the bass is still very present, and just sounds closer to everything I'm familiar with from studio monitors to large speaker stacks

So far this has cured one of the parts of the sound I as having the most trouble with. To me, the headphone has much better sense of air and space with this EQ setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back