Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Dec 20, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #241 of 644
Okay, next steps... as promised. You'll need sheet felt and wool felt (links to purchase at the bottom of this post), so... extra materials! But the sonic improvement is totally worth it!

Cut a rectangular piece of the felt sheet and slot it into the air vent on top. So... on the outside, you'll have the foam piece, and then on the inside, you'll have this felt piece. (optional but recommended: also insert a felt piece into the same air vent in the inner enclosure. If you have opened the headphone up and followed the previous steps, you'll know what I mean.

And then... apply a piece of dynamat to the bottom of the inner enclosure, then instead of the foam piece on top of the driver, use the liner material again instead. And then cut out 2 small pieces of wool felt to slot into the top and bottom openings like so:

And... that's it! Stage 2 of the mods improves clarity even more, but still without taking away the impact and pressure from bass that this headphone is so awesome for.

If Stage 1 didn't sound like much, then this one would probably be somewhat "much" now. But if you thought Stage 1 sounded like a good improvement, then this one will blow you away. This headphone is now just a hair south of perfect neutrality to my ears. Just a bit more treble and air, and it will match the tonal balance of my HE-560 almost perfectly. I'll still research more mods to see if I can reach that point, but right now, bass up to mid is almost exactly like the HE-560. Just slower, because the HE-560 uses better tech, is fully open-backed, and it also has much larger diaphragms. The diaphragms of the HE-560 are even larger than the ear cups of the XB950BT in diameter...

Anyway, a nice side effect, I think, is that now I think the difference between the 3 quality modes of the XB950BT should be audible. "High quality" essentially gives a slightly clearer, sharper sound. "Normal" sounds like it has some extra bloat in bass and lower midrange that makes things sound slower. "Low" quality mode (or "more stable connection" mode, as they put it) sounds a bit more diffused, even, and the top end rolls off and distorts quite obviously.

Link to purchase wool felt: (you literally need like 6" out of this, honestly, so...)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018Z06KK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1KAQTP55423DESXEWJ99&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

Link to purchase felt sheet: (I couldn't find link to purchase just 1 sheet, which is more than what you need)
http://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Pack-Acrylic-Craft-Felt/dp/B0050PFXSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419054461&sr=8-1&keywords=felt+sheet

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #242 of 644
Just grabbed one of these for $138 after free shipping and tax :D

American Express has an offer for $25 off $100 on the sony store site, so I used that to pay $138 total.

Looking forward to getting these. I liked my XB500s but they were always a bit too muddy. It sounds like these would be better, especially with the mods you guys have posted.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #243 of 644
Very interested in a comparison with the xb500, I just wish a tad more clarity, but not too much

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #244 of 644
Gonna put these up for sale, contact me if interested...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/747176/for-sale-like-new-sony-mdr-xb950bt-extras-bass-blue-tooth-headphones-100-00-plus-shipping-plus-paypal-fees

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #245 of 644
Very interested in a comparison with the xb500, I just wish a tad more clarity, but not too much

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

I'll use my XB500 more exclusively until I get the XB950 so hopefully I can give a good comparison. I listen to mostly EDM, hip hop and rap right now, so these should be perfect.

Gonna put these up for sale, contact me if interested...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/747176/for-sale-like-new-sony-mdr-xb950bt-extras-bass-blue-tooth-headphones-100-00-plus-shipping-plus-paypal-fees

Would you mind sharing what you did/didn't like about the headphones and what ultimately made you want to sell them?

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #247 of 644
Nothing in particular is bad. the xb950bt sound good, but to me my logitech ue 9000 sound more clear in the mids and highs, and bass goes lower, fatter, smoother, also wider sound stage. I would like to move these to a good home and pick up either the sony mdr1r bt mk 2 or plantronics backbeat beat pro. I could return the xb950bt but I thought I'd help someone else get the sale price.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #248 of 644
I have to agree with Soundsgoodtome, these do get better.

I used them today again at my office prior to a video shoot. i think my brain has adapted a bit more to their sound and they did sound a bit better. Also getting comfier.

So they haven't gone back just yet.

In comparison to my other headphones

Sennheiser Hd650:

SQ: 9.5
Bass:8
Comfort:9 (after flexing metal arms)
Portability:5

Denon AH-D600

SQ:8
Bass:10
Comfort:10
Portability:7

Sony MDR-7550

SQ:9
Bass:9
Comfort:9
Portability:9

Sony MDR XB950BT

SQ:6
Bass:7
Comfort:7
Portability:10 (heavier than 7550 but wireless means more freedom)

right now, my D600 is my headphone of convenience. No amp required, short cable, super comfy, just plug and play. But I'm considering the 950 replacing them mostly becuase of their Bluetooth capabilities makes them such an ideal office headphone. But that's a pretty tall order. The 950 is good with electronic music, and in my latest listening the bass seemed a bit tighter. But right now, listening to the D600 there is so much texture, ambience, the bass tight - just an exceptional listen. I could still let the d600 go as both the 650 and 7550 are more accurate headphones.

While sound quality is the most important quality, a great headphone depends on its use, the listener, and a sum of all of its parts. In that regards, I actually hold the XB950 in high regard. I purchased it for $150cdn! That's pretty damn good value for all of what it is.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #249 of 644
ok, i made an account specifically so i could discuss about these headphones.  out of the box, the sound quality wasn't as good as it was hyped up to be by video reviews and initial impressions that i have read and watched.  the sound quality over bluetooth is good, but i just felt that the sound was a little flat to my liking.   here is the twist, as soon as i plugged in the cables, everything about the headphones improved for me.  everything just sounded a lot better than bluetooth.  i wonder if you guys have a similar feeling?  as for the base boost button, it is overkill for music, but PERFECT for watching action movies.  seriously, trying watching a movie with the base boost on.  it makes you feel like you are in a movie theater.

I bought this for $100.  do you guys think there are better headphones for the price? im considering both wired and bluetooth. 

@Malfunkt
you are comparing a $100-150 headphone (xb950bt) to ones in the 300-400 range.  I honestly do not think it's a fair comparison.  how would you rate these for the price range? I just want to get a sense of whether or not these were worth the $100 i payed.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #250 of 644
These are definitely a great buy for the price, latest bluetooth, 20 hour battery life, nfc, aptx, great bass, light, comfortable, looks good. I don't think there is another headphone at this price point with all these features.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #251 of 644
ok, i made an account specifically so i could discuss about these headphones.  out of the box, the sound quality wasn't as good as it was hyped up to be by video reviews and initial impressions that i have read and watched.  the sound quality over bluetooth is good, but i just felt that the sound was a little flat to my liking.   here is the twist, as soon as i plugged in the cables, everything about the headphones improved for me.  everything just sounded a lot better than bluetooth.  i wonder if you guys have a similar feeling?  as for the base boost button, it is overkill for music, but PERFECT for watching action movies.  seriously, trying watching a movie with the base boost on.  it makes you feel like you are in a movie theater.

I bought this for $100.  do you guys think there are better headphones for the price? im considering both wired and bluetooth. 

@Malfunkt

you are comparing a $100-150 headphone (xb950bt) to ones in the 300-400 range.  I honestly do not think it's a fair comparison.  how would you rate these for the price range? I just want to get a sense of whether or not these were worth the $100 i payed.

First off welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet. :grinning:

Check the instructions for the 950, make sure to put the Bluetooth in its highest quality mode. It should close the gap with the wired line.

Is there a better headphone out there for $100?

Well the answer is it depends on what you are look for. To my memory, Sony's MDR-V6 produced for decades now for studio professional and DJs is a better sounding closed back headphone, with more detail, tighter bass and coiled cable. Of course it's not wireless, doesn't have more bass, and may not be as easy going sonically. I believe Audio Technica's ATH-M40 are also similar and probably more balanced sounding -less than $100.

On sound quality alone you may find a better headphone, but even then it's not that simple. Both subjectively and objectively, headphones in this class range will have fairly obvious strengths and weaknesses. also, if you buy used there are some incredible deals out there. Over Black Friday HD598s went for $100 and you still may find PSB M4U1s from the source.ca for $150. Used, those Denon's AH-D600s can be found for less than $200 on eBay.

But for $100, for sound quality, while not accurate sound, XB950 still has a capable driver. Even just increasing the treble you can hear more detail than what is presented. The signature Sony seemed to want to create is one consumers would be familiar with - boomy home theatre, computer 2.1 setups, boomboxes, and that car sub woofer system from your teenage years. It does seem like XB950 is capable of more from the sound of Bill's mod.

In comparing it with those other headphones I own, I could hear that I'd have to EQ the headphones and likely do the mod recommended earlier to get these closer to that level. But even without being modded they seem to be growing on me.

I think it this is your only headphone right now, at $100 I'd keep it. Unless you need a headphone professionally for studio work, field recording, or DJ use - then you definitely need to check something else out. If you listen to a lot of modern beat orientated music these are awesome. If you primarily listen to classical, acoustic/vocal and jazz then you should look elsewhere.

Consider a second headphone in the future. One that is open back, and has a different signature - perhaps something like a Phillips Fidelio X1 or X2 - that doesn't require an amp. You'd still be able to use your 950s for wireless, and other uses. And you'd probably be able to sell them for close to what you have paid should you out grow them.

So enjoy them right now. They are really awesome cans considering all they offer and a simple mod may really increase their SQ, which then you'll have a highend wireless headphone for $100. Pretty decent imo

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #253 of 644
Differences between the 3 wireless modes:

"High Quality mode" (3 blinks): rolled off treble (!), more bass nuance, so I'd guess this mode is "compensating" the hardware waveform to reduce high frequency intermodulation distortion, but other than that, latency seems to be about the same as "Normal mode".

"Normal mode" (2 blinks): totally uncompensated, so more treble. There is slight distortion in the treble, and bass probably not as solid as "High Quality mode", but overall more balanced, and latency is not too bad.

"Stable mode" (1 blink): same as above, but it seems the error correction module in the bluetooth receiver is bypassed, so there is more distortion overall. However, latency is very good. Almost instantaneous.

Compared to wired mode:

Wired mode essentially sounds like a (very slightly) cleaner version of "Normal mode" to my ears. But only ever so slightly so. The built-in amplifier of the bluetooth section is already good enough that wired connection almost makes no discernible sound quality difference at all. I had to nitpick very carefully. Bluetooth interference (due to cell phone signal, WIFI, etc...) most likely explains the extra distortion. Also wired has much less latency.

That said... I think the XB950BT is the best $100 I have ever spent on any audio gear. Bar none. Well, granted after all of the mods. If I didn't try to mod it, I'd most likely end up pushing it away after 1 hour or so.

And yeah, the mods make a massive difference. How do I know? Because I have an unmodded pair of XB950BT here. I got another one for my brother, but he insisted on the extra bass, so I left that one completely untampered with. The difference between the 2 is so much that the modded pair might well be a completely different headphone. If you'd like, I can also do a comparison with the old M50... (no difference compared to the M50X as far as I can tell)

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #254 of 644
@malfunkt

Thank you for the detailed reply. I'm actually waiting for the m50x to come down in price. IMO wireless is good, but not vital. What do you think of the v moda m100?

Hey no problem. Just spent about an hour and half for a winter walk with the XB950. I had a chance tonight to compare them directly against the AP versions at a local store which I had initially tried out. To my surprise, the AP version actually is not the bass emphasized equalization you hear in the BT versions Electro Mode. It is on par or just a bit above the volume of the BTs default bass setting. The bass on the AP is also a bit better than the BT version (compared via Bluetooth as I didn't have my wire with me at the time for the BT to compare). Part or all of this is due to the wire performance, or rather limitations of the Bluetooth audio quality, so if you want the best bass from your XB950, all the time, go with the AP. It's also cheaper. So if someone get this phone (AP version) sub $100 it's a very good price and probably one of the best Sony headphones in the price range (but I actually haven't heard previous XB versions and I imagine those are probably pretty good too).

Walking around, I was listening to mostly hard techno, but also some eclectic mixes of rock and electro. Plenty of thump to them, not a big fan of the Electro Mode, just doesn't sound that great, but someone will dig it. Quite enjoyed these as a portable. I have to say though, these are pretty huge, I mean they are the first headphone I have ever owned that I could see them in my peripheral vision - like "hey what's that black shape following me? Oh that just my headphones, phew.". There simple styling with giant logos on the sides helps out a bit, also no cords is a plus to their aesthetic. Definitely stayed put walking around. Winter, spring and fall these should be fine, but on a warm day, take some IEMs with you.

Sorry, can't help you with the m50x or vmodas, I know they are popular. What kind of music are you listening too/using your headphones for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back