Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Oct 1, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #631 of 644
Yep, I owned both for a bit. Just sold the MDRXB950BT and still have the QC35. IMO the QC35's are in a whole different world. Better in every single way. They offer more features, feel way better on my head, are lighter in weight, sound infinitely better and looks better too. BUT they cost A WHOLE lot more.
I would think sony's high res series would be a more logical comparison as the audience is similar. Bose has very smooth sound but lacks bass to me so I prefer the extra bass series

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #633 of 644
Hello, all.

I recently bought the Sony XB950N1 headphones. They were on sale at Amazon for $115 (some sellers weren't even charging taxes).

I purchased specifically those headphones because they were in my price range, but mainly because I want LDAC support. If I'm going to use Bluetooth headphones and speakers, I want the best possible quality, and LDAC seems to be a better codec than aptX HD.

And now, LDAC support is going to be included in Android Oreo as part of AOSP, so every manufacturer can include the codecs in their phones, courtesy of Sony.

But I have been reading conflicting information. Do the Sony XB950N1 (or the similar XB950B1) support LDAC?

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #634 of 644
Yep, I owned both for a bit. Just sold the MDRXB950BT and still have the QC35. IMO the QC35's are in a whole different world. Better in every single way. They offer more features, feel way better on my head, are lighter in weight, sound infinitely better and looks better too. BUT they cost A WHOLE lot more.

I would think sony's high res series would be a more logical comparison as the audience is similar. Bose has very smooth sound but lacks bass to me so I prefer the extra bass series

Got the Sony's for $99 a while ago...convenient, bass oriented and comfortable with BT was alright for the $$...eventually gave them to my son and he likes them for the gym.

Picked up the JBL Everest Elite 750NC for $149 on Black Friday and prefer these by a fair amount; thought about trying a set of the $300ish cans (Sony or Bose) but couldn't pull the trigger on double the price for a set of wireless cans.

TBH, if I were going to spend north of $300 on wireless cans, I'd probably look at the B&W PX.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #635 of 644
Picked up a pair of Manufacturer refurbed XB950B1 2017s for $45. Pretty pleased with em TBH. I figured they would be just a bass heavy dark mushy glob of severely rolled off treble mess, but they actually didn't turn my stomach at all. Strictly for dog walking, and around the house tom foolery, the sound sig is pretty dope esp for hip hop and reggae. While the bass is boomy and bleedy, and the treble is rolled off, the mids are actually pretty friggen clean and sound nice. Pushing EQ at 400-500 a db, 2-4k up 3 db and 8k-16k up 4db, they sound pretty good for basshead BT phones.

Thinking bout doing the mods, but am happy where I'm at now. Anybody regret doing the mods? Tightening up the bass would be sweet and would definitely help these things out. hmmm...

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #636 of 644
Picked up a pair of Manufacturer refurbed XB950B1 2017s for $45. Pretty pleased with em TBH. I figured they would be just a bass heavy dark mushy glob of severely rolled off treble mess, but they actually didn't turn my stomach at all. Strictly for dog walking, and around the house tom foolery, the sound sig is pretty dope esp for hip hop and reggae. While the bass is boomy and bleedy, and the treble is rolled off, the mids are actually pretty friggen clean and sound nice. Pushing EQ at 400-500 a db, 2-4k up 3 db and 8k-16k up 4db, they sound pretty good for basshead BT phones.

Thinking bout doing the mods, but am happy where I'm at now. Anybody regret doing the mods? Tightening up the bass would be sweet and would definitely help these things out. hmmm...

No regrets on mods, just need time to go back in and dampen them more. They are very bassy and bleed into the mids as you have noted.

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #637 of 644
Hello guys , just picked up a Xb950b1 , they are just fine for my mobile use as i am a proud basshead but i wouldn't trade it for my fidelios x2....

I am having a small issue with a tiny hissing noise when there not music , also before the track begins the right speaker makes a "CLICK" noise then everything is fine. Aslo I am getting this very same "pop" sound when i lock , unlock my phone or even when i am getting back to main screen without listening to music , i have tried 3 several android phones and the problem still persists are they all like that or i should replace it?

Its just like this click-pop sound happens when engages-disengages from audio but this does not happen in wired mode.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #638 of 644
A friend loaned me his XB950N1 recently, and have been playing with them for a couple of days. Must say that they're a bit better than I expected.
Without the power turned on, the headphones definitely don't sound like they're worth their MSRP. But with the power on and the DSP engaged, they sound pretty good.
Bass is punchy though the sub-bass rolls off, making the mid-bass really prominent. The vocal range dips a bit in the upper mids, so female vocals can sound a bit blunted, but at least they're not harshly sibilant or so dipped that they sound muffled. Treble rolls off quickly, so the headphones have a distinctly warm character, but the headphones don't sound like they completely lack detail.
As portable cans, they work great. Noise cancelling makes up for the poor passive isolation. The warmer sound is nice for outdoor use since it won't ever sound piercing. And they're really comfy with a good battery life. I personally won't turn on the bass boost though, it sounded muddy and uncontrolled at that point.
I'd say they're a much better value than the MDR-1A for sure. The 1A are often more expensive, isolate extremely poorly, have a lumpier bass section that sounds a little weird, and a really uneven vocal section which I simply do not enjoy. The 1A can make many users happy for sure, but I think the XB950N1 refurbed or used is a much more sensible choice.
If I were to get a pair of noise cancelling cans though, I won't choose the XB950N1, and would probably go with the QC35 or the WF-1000XM2 for the superior noise cancelling. Still, not particularly in the market for a pair of ANC headphones, so I'll just enjoy the XB950N1 while they are here.

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #640 of 644
I like them a lot for TV/Movie watching. I wouldn't use them for music listening that much. The quality for phone calls is also pretty good.

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #641 of 644
Um... You gonna hate me for this but if they sound similar to MDR-XB950AP and you like them, you guys have serious hearing issues.

I've never tried the XB950AP, but as far as I can tell, the XB950BT and XB950N1 will have a slightly different sound because of the built-in DSP.
If the XB950AP sounds like the XB950N1 without the power turned on, I can understand why you do not enjoy the headphones. They sound really distant and lacking in impact, with most of the treble being rolled off. Yes, they don't sound good like this, and I'd give a hard pass if that's what the XB950AP sound like.
Thankfully, the powered mode fixes a number of these issues. Not to mention the noise cancelling on the XB950N1 solves the problem with isolation, presumably because of the vents which are probably on the headphone somewhere.

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #642 of 644
I like them a lot for TV/Movie watching. I wouldn't use them for music listening that much. The quality for phone calls is also pretty good.

Yes, I agree they do work pretty well for those use cases. They're not the most enjoyable headphones I have at hand for music, but for many consumer-level non-audiophiles who only have one headphone, the BT and N1 are more than serviceable and are a decent investment in sound, comfort, and convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back