Sony MDR-XB90EX vs. MDR-EX650
Dec 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #16 of 30
Burning in right now. The first impression left me with mixed feelings; I really like the timbre but it screams to be equalized.

For now there is a bit of mid bass bleeding into the mids but it'll open up after a few hours I'm sure.

I'll let me ears get used to them(I'm a speaker guy, still messing with tips etc.) and let the driver settle, then I'll post my impressions.

No regrets of the purchase thusfar

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 30
my mdr650 took its last breath a few days ago ... it seems the joint just below where the wires split is a bit weak even though it looks sturdy .. been searching for a replacement at even double it's price point but seem to find nothing that can beat it ... i think i am gonna buy another set and be more careful from now on ... :)

the mdr ex 450 have just been released with a mic version and i m hoping a mic version gets release for the 650s

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #18 of 30
hello , i currently own a jvc hafx3x . iam thinking of buying one of these sony in ear headphone if it is better than the jvc . does anyone has any idea how mdrxb90ex and mdr ex650 performs compared to fx3x?

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 30
So I've been playing around with them for a while now, time to give my two cents. Don't take the frequencies that I talk about too seriously; they are more like a personal reference. Also, excuse me for my English.

As I noted earlier, I was looking for an upgrade from the ex15's. Not that I was really missing something, but you must be able to do better than 10eu buds. Good thing is these buds have a similar presentation. Most headphones I have heard completely over do it, these keep things simple but definitely deliver the goods. No plasticy mids, hollow soundstage, overly textured bass...just buds.

Maybe I was hoping a bit on the "hifi-experience" you get with speakers, where the set forms a window into the recording if you will. That these won't do at all I am afraid. Maybe I am a bit naive but after hearing a lot of good stuff - and considering some buds cost 500+ euro - these left me a bit disappointed. At the end of the day there are still just a pair of buds firing into your ear. My HD448 gives a sense of space and 'greatness' much better than these can ever do. What can be around your head with the phones happens all in between your ears with these. Not to mention the Ultrasone hfi2200's, which do lots of cool stuff spacial wise. Compared to the ex15's these have slightly better soundstage I would say, but it is pretty much a 1D story.

Not only spacial, also the dynamics are pretty narrow to me. The overall spectrum seems to be compressed/squeezed a bit between a seemingly peak around and 200Hz and 8kHz. Leaving some sounds a bit compressed. A guitar on my old 'budget'(still 10 times the price of the Sony's) speakers (ELAC fs67.2's) already begins to show some extension through the frequencies, these buds won't do that. 

My current tower's are a couple of ELAC fs209A's. What they really make apparent is that the ex650's lack some of precision and dynamics. Whereas a high hat on the speakers is a small piece of fireworks in a pitch black night sky, the high hat on the ex650 seems to be blurred by a smokescreen which also happens to be lighted by the streetlights(hope this metaphor makes any sense). 

There is no real crisp/bite in the sound, it's all silky smooth and soft. The sound is a bit veiled and doesn't draw attention. Sweet like cinnamon, smooth like butter...a bit of caramel perhaps - whoops there I go - but to me simply too suppressed. A spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go away but this isn't medicine, this is music. I have to note that my s4 worsens this effect.

As I told earlier I really like the overall presentation/sound signature. There is not too much apparent coloration. Making the HD448's sound like a complete joke. It's a pretty organic type of sound.

The bass started out a bit lumpy but has softened and became even a tad more dry than punchy I would say, which is the type of bass that I like. There is a painfully obvious mid-bass peak - which I hate - but it doesn't cross its borders, meaning that the low-mids are not influenced by this. They don't go extremely deep but deep enough for every day use.

The low-mids seem to be a bit recessed to me, if I was to equalize I would 'raise' a bit around 900Hz. Moving further into the mids sound pressure starts to increases to my ears making it possible for voices to get the attention they deserve. The mids are quiet dark but I like that. There is plenty of detail to be discovered in these regions using the 650's without forcing it.

The most noticeable feature in the highs is seemingly a peak around 6-8Hz. Not precisely the comfort zone. This makes the sound really snappy. The funny thing is that the ex15's had the exact same thing bit they flattened out really nicely over 500+ hours. I am noticing the same thing with these @ 50+ hours, it really starts to settle. It still is snappy but in a less clinical way. I noticed some people talking about hot treble, I am looking more towards overly active upper-mids.

From this point all seems but a smooth roll-off. To my ears these buds are not a V-shaped, more like /V\

Compared to the ex15's these have way more authority, control and dynamics. No more grain, subtle fluctuations in instruments become clear and the bass seemingly has unlimited power reserves. It's not that I won't be able to listen to the ex15's again but these are a very clear improvement. 

One other thing I really like are the looks and build quality. They look awesome(like really awesome) and probably are capable of surviving an atomic blast.

Comfort depends on the tips, normally I would pick one of the smaller sizes and shove the entire nozzle into my ear canal. The nozzle on these is not suitable for that leaving me with painful ears after an hour or so. Now I use the largest and hang them loosely into my hear, this works for me.

The mic is also pretty good, you'll be able to call even when facing the wind.

Bottomline:
Are these the final answer in hifi? Nope
But their relaxed but snappy, organic/natural type of sound makes the competition - as far as I have listened - look like they aren't even trying, or rather trying too hard, and have me nodding my head to the rhythm.
Equalizing might do some great things to these, but they sound pleasant nonetheless(or pair them with a treble happy source might do some good). They really do sound good enough for in-ears never wanting me to upgrade again.
65eu gives you awesome looks, a serious sound upgrade from budget buds and a mic; a no-brainer. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #20 of 30
I had joined the forum because I noticed the lack of a proper MDR-EX650 review. After my requisite intro posting I happened upon this thread and would seem that a thorough review has been done and WELL done at that. As stressed in my intro, I'm just getting started with the 'bug' and reviews like this go further in helping me understand what it is I'm hearing.

When my interest in the 650s was piqued enough to warrant a purchase the stocks in the UK were sparse. My pair came from Japan and were nearly stolen away from me by the bumbling antics of a disinterested delivery driver and the less than honourable decision to keep said parcel by a neighbour down the street. Paying £41 and change was fair enough, but the import duties and fees incurred by parties between here and there rounded it up to nearly £65.

Still...after all is said and done, these have wiggled their playtime to nearly 90%. However I think I will end up giving these to the missus as I recently realised that I purchased the pair without the mic....or am I just looking for an excuse to buy another pair of headphones?

....and I think one of the best things about these IEM's (outside of the audio) is the small slider that makes an " I " from the " Y " and makes it much easier to untangle when taken back out again....gotta love 'simple yet clever' things like that.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #22 of 30
Hi guys,

Still enjoying my 650's here. Yesterday I was in the opportunity the take a good listen the the sennheiser hd25-1 II's. They absolutely destroyed the 650's with a much more mature sound. These are definitely not the +-65eu ultra hifi bargain they appear to be; there is significantly better equipment out there. If it weren't for the fact that I don't want to deal with the hardships of wearing headphones in public I would safe the money and get the senn's. 

The 650's are still great however and I highly recommend them. Just thought I should share this:)

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #23 of 30
I have been trying to get these in my country and Sony has not launched this.  But I will be able to procure them...I need few thoughts on this before I buy these.

I am not a bass head.  I had XBA-H1 which went bust. 

How to these compare to XBA-H1...better?  For some reason I liked XBA-H1...Maybe because this was my first IEM model which went on a commercially higher side...
When compared to ATH-IM70 where do they stand?
When compared to Beyerdynamic DX160IE where do they stand?

If it matters I have a Beyerdynamic DTX 910 and I am love with it.  But I need an IEM for traveling purpose.

Any thoughts or suggestions would help me...Please.

PS.....I listen mostly to FLAC/ALAC and few AAC from iTunes.  I use Sony Hi-Res players.

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #28 of 30
It's bassy with a lot of treble. Not dark. Easy to drive.

Thank you Danny :) ur replies are rely helping me decide, but i wanna ask u one last thing; Considering that i had the XB90EX before, does this one have a harsh brittle treble that is tiring when listening? cause i'm so sensitive to treble emphasis and it's so painful to me!

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #29 of 30
Thank you Danny :) ur replies are rely helping me decide, but i wanna ask u one last thing; Considering that i had the XB90EX before, does this one have a harsh brittle treble that is tiring when listening? cause i'm so sensitive to treble emphasis and it's so painful to me!

I found the xb90ex to be a little sibilant and the ex650 can be sibilant also but the top end treble hit sort of hard too on the ex650. High hats really shimmer. Overall, the treble did fatigue me in the long run so I sold it.

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #30 of 30
Hey guys, ive got the ex650. Im looking for an upgrade now. I dont mean as in my next purchase sound better, I want to be blown away. Shure se846? I listen to hip hop and rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back