Sony MDR-XB90EX vs. MDR-EX650
Oct 21, 2014 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

aruchan

New Head-Fier
Does anyone know how the Sony EX650 compares to the older Sony MDR-XB90EX?
The cord, jack, and overall build quality of the EX650 looks way nicer and it's still cheaper than the MDR-XB90EX which I think was about $20 more expensive when making it's debut 2 years ago. But of course the other important factor is sound. 

Price has come down making the two about the same price. EX650 is currently $51 here in Japan and XB90EX is about $65.  

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 30
It's been awhile since I've had the XB90EX but I still have the EX650's.

My guess is that the 90EX has the upper hand in sub-bass department.  650's won't reach as low but still produces good depth.  Bass is tighter and has more mid-bass punch on the 650's.

The 650 has more forward vocals and is much better in this category over the 90EX.  The 90EX was a little too recessed for my liking.

Treble for me was grainy and didn't sound right on the 90EX.  The 650's sound a little hot but produces better energy and is better refined.

I remember the 90EX having a huge stage and I don't think the 650's are at that level but come close since I don't find them to sound narrow in the least.

Overall, I find the 650's to be an upgrade in sound in every way except for pure sub-bass performance.

Build is fantastic with a nice looking cloth covered cable and a good looking soft pouch.  Earphones really do look expensive and higher end.  I got the brass colored version.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 30
  Does anyone know how the EX650 sound compared to RE400 and the GR07?

The RE400 and GR07 are gonna sound better balanced.  EX650 is tuned more for a mass audience.  Does sound very good though.  I found the RE400 to be boring and didn't care for the midrange.  Couldn't find too much fault with the GR07 except for the slightly sibilant treble.  Both those earphones will satisfy the more critical listener over the EX650 is my guess.

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 30
  The RE400 and GR07 are gonna sound better balanced.  EX650 is tuned more for a mass audience.  Does sound very good though.  I found the RE400 to be boring and didn't care for the midrange.  Couldn't find too much fault with the GR07 except for the slightly sibilant treble.  Both those earphones will satisfy the more critical listener over the EX650 is my guess.

Thanks. I think the RE400 & GR07 are very good SQ wise but their durability is suspect. Hopefully Sony will come out with something to challenge that price point.

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 30
I've been lurking here for ages, finally joined today to contribute to this discussion. 

I've never tried the MDR-XB90EX, but - like aruchan - I am absolutely in love with my EX 650s. The fit is very comfortable, the seal is great, I love the way they look, the cable is very well designed and never gets too tangled and the microphonics are very minimal... mainly, though, I love love love the sound. I mostly listen to Classical and Jazz, and these IEMs are ideal for that use. They are sufficiently detailed to pick out individual instruments from the orchestra without being overly analytical (ie, they let the music flow). The bass is deep and clear without being overwhelming. The treble is bright and hot without being screechy or tinny at all. 

They are insane when listening to Jazz. My test track for that purpose is Art Blakey's A Night In Tunisia, which starts out with a monster drum solo and never lets up. These IEMs handle that no problem, everything is loud, clear, and beautiful. Honestly, that tune has NEVER sounded better to me than the day I first tested the EX 650s. I was sold immediately... but delighted to find that they could also handle everything from the thundering percussion of Gergiev's over-the-top version of The Rite of Spring to the mysterious opening of Heifetz' classic account of the Sibelius concerto to the gentle beauty of John Coltrane's Naima. Cello music is so gorgeous on these, and trumpet music is clear and bright and very present (maybe because they are made of brass)... 

They have a really good sound stage for their size and price, too. I can easily pick out where each instrument is in space when I listen with my eyes closed. 

I had been using the Sennheiser CX300B-II IEMs, and was very happy with them, to the point that I felt I might never need to upgrade... but I flat out prefer the sound of the EX 650s. Where the Senns are warm and dark, the Sonys are hot and bright so it's probably a matter of choice but in my case the 650s just blew me away from the very first listen. Also, they are far more comfortable for me than the Senns were. 

I use a FiiO x3, and my other favourite headphones are Sennheiser px 100-IIs (for classical) and my trusty Koss Port-Pros (for rock, jazz, and movies), but for the past few months I have been using my EX 650s almost exclusively. I enjoy them that much. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 30
Interesting stuff, I use a couple of 10eu buds from Sony, these suckers:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX15LP-In-Ear-Headphones-Drivers/dp/B00IJXCBG6

I am thinking about upgrading and since I actually like the once I have pretty well - unlike the amazon reviewers I might add - I am considering to stick with sony and go for the ex650's. I am not really familiar with in-ears so maybe you guys have some opinions to shed about them around this price point (60-100 bucks).

Seems you can't go wrong with the EX650's for what I am reading but I am not too much into an artificial type of sound. I actually like cheap buds better most of the time compared to more expensive senn's, or bose's for that matter. It always appears to me that they are really going for a signature sound as opposing to a down-to-earth approach. Like one needs something completely different from an expensive set for it is more expensive and needs to be obviously 'better.' I like a sound which impresses by not trying to impress of that makes any sense. 

The EX650's are fun sounding, but do they have a natural timbre? I don't care much about a bit extra treble or bass, but if the sound appears to be unnatural, or made to impress, in these regions, that might be a problem.

@gordi , you listen to classical, do you happen to go to the concerts? I am wondering about your opinion on this. Fun is good, unnatural timbre is bad:)

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 30
These might not be to your taste, then, mcmalden. I wouldn't go so far as to call their sound unnatural, but as I said, to me they sound hot and bright. Definitly not flat or analytical. In terms of comparison to live concerts: You get a pretty good "sense of space" with these, by in-ear standards. I mean, you can get a sense, with a good recording, of approximately where in the hall you might be seated. On the other hand, I think the clarity and detail you get listening to a recent recording or a carefully re-mastered classic recording with the 650s atually exceeds what you might typically get from the live experience. I think I understand what you mean with cheap buds being more down to earth in that sense. The 650s are a pair that can come across as a wee bit larger than life, I'd say.  

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #13 of 30
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll pick them up anyway or add them to my birthday which list (which is around the corner), got to love the old folks. You can't go completely wrong for 70buck and it is refreshing to hear about a bright in-ear for 10/10 I've heard are on the dark side. I'll post a impression in the case that I get them.

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #14 of 30
I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions. Also, it occurred to me today that quite possibly the "larger than life" qualities are at least in part due to the FiiOX3, which definitely puts a big emphasis on clarity, dynamic range, and soundstage. The X3 and the EX650 seem nicely matched in that way, having similar strengths...

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 30
Glad to see others have found the MDR-EX650s...for a while they have been my go-to IEMs, but given their cost it is embarrassing to say so in HeadFi.

For some background, I have been a CD mastering engineer since the early 1990s, a Stax owner for 20 years, and have several highly regarded OE and IEM phones.  I recently bought the Sennheiser IE800s and a comparison between the Sony EX-650s and the Sennheiser IE800s shows the IE800s to have lower low-end extension, are flatter through the midrange, and hotter in the high end.  I would say the IE800s are probably the best IEMs I have ever heard but....they are also one of the most uncomfortable.  The MDR-EX650s are within shooting distance in most respects, and at 1/10th the money are THE standout best IEMs I have heard for the money, bar none.  The build quality is also excellent.  They have no weaknesses that make me want to tear them out of my head...and they are comfortable.

Highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back