Sony MDR-XB700 and headphones in that pricerange
Sep 8, 2010 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

abeeb

New Head-Fier
Has anybody got the sony  [size=large]MDR-XB700, i found them for £80 and was wondering if they were good value for money, otherwise what other headphones would you recomend for drum and bass and rock.[/size]

Thanks

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 25
I don't know if that's the going rate for them over in the UK but its quite overpriced if you run a straight conversion to USD and were going to pay that much over here.

All the bass in the XB700s is very low.  Lower than the bass in most music.  They might work for your dnb, but they aren't especially great with rock.  You may want to look at the XB500s.  They have more mid and upper bass than the 700s and are cheaper as well.  FWIR (I only own the 700s) the treble on the 500s is harsher than on the 700s.

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 25
There are some for  [size=large]£[/size]60, check them out. I'm thinking of getting a pair, but I'm still wondering are they a fun cans to listen to or... because that's what I'm looking for...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001UE6PE0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1AWSY441BR3BVCTCHHCG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 25
I don't know your definition of "fun" but I think XB500 is more "fun" than XB700, I prefer XB500 over XB700. For the OP I think XB500 would suit better as XB700 focuses mostly on very low bass and you don't get that much "kick" out of the bass but there's prolly many many other options too. That being said I love my XB500 once equalized properly, even more than I did with ATH-M50 or Beyer DT770 Pro/80 that's both around 3x expensier than XB500 over here in Finland.

I'm not a drum and bass or rock fanatic though, I listen to some rock but it's not my fav genre but I'm pretty sure you want a headphone for a little bit more focus on mid to upper bass rather than XB700's gigantic focus on ~<80Hz bass.

Just saying just cuz XB700 is expensier than XB500 doesn't mean it has to be better, it depends what your preferations are and what you're gonna use it for. XB500's got much more mid-upper bass than XB700 and highs are much more smoother and overall sound signature is more aggressive or warm.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 25
Thanks for the reply! I really love to listen to rock though... I really like the neutral sound of my  k242hd, but I'd like something a bit colored... and you think I'd be better with xb500...hmm. What about the comfort? Thanks

ps I'm not a bass head =)

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I really love to listen to rock though... I really like the neutral sound of my  k242hd, but I'd like something a bit colored... and you think I'd be better with xb500...hmm. What about the comfort? Thanks

ps I'm not a bass head =)

Rock and Grado usually works and the more affordable grado's like SR60i would probably be one good pick if bass quantity isn't really that important (XB500 is among the very bassiest headphones so) however some people think the highs are too bright and sparkly so it depends on your taste.

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 25
dunno about the xb500, but the xb700 have really deep low bass. not sure if that's what you looking for. Comfort wise, I say that are the most comfortable headphones I have tried. The cushions are large and soft. They do make you sweat after long wear though like any other close headphones plus it has leather cushion.  But, I find myself sweating more from my M50. I think it got to do with the large cushion creating less pressure on clamp force therefore making me sweat less in the xb700.  From a M50 perspective, I do find them to be too bright at times and slightly fatiguing. But when they were my only headphones, It didn't bother me until I got the M50 when I notice it. Definitely fun headphones for the price and the comfort of them are great. Comfort wise you can't beat them.  I've heard grados are good for rock, but I also heard they are uncomfortable. I also heard they are the type of headphones that you either like em or hate them.  What I learn about headphones are that no one can tell you what to buy, the only thing you can do is read about the description and hope that it fits your need since there are very very few places that you can try them out. wait, actually the xb500 you can try them out at best buy. My local best buy has them over in the ipod section. you might want to look there to see to gauge.  The xb700 should be too for away from those except the bass is probable going to deeper. 

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 25
Yea that's a good reply, it's always IMPORTANT to remember every1 has different taste in how you think it should sound, people here can describe how they sound like but in the end your own taste will determine whatever you like that sound or not.

As for XB500, demoing them somewhere won't do this headphone justice as it needs some EQing to sound really great, unEQ'd they sound probably too smooth/uncrisp for most people but once you take care of that with EQing they'll sound great. Unequalized XB700 would probably sound better to most people but EQ'd the XB500 can give really great results and for me even better than XB700 however I tried to EQ XB700 I still went back to XB500 and I always use it these days.

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 25
wow, I had a lot of grammar mistakes on the last post.
blink.gif
yeah I heard the xb500 are the best out of the xb's series.  They are suppose to have the most balances output. I never listened to the xb500 myself though.  At the same time, I see other member liking the xb700 more.

For the OP, IMHO I think they are a good value for there price (online from amazon and alike) depending what you are looking for. Are the value of them better than what they cost? probable not. I think they are priced exactly where they should be. Just in my opinion. I gave mine to my little brother and I still miss them. They are fun to listen to.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
They are fun to listen to.

That's what I'm looking for! Of cource one's "ear taste" is subjective, somebody might like it, others will not, that's life. Personally I'm not even sure of my listening preference so...
I might get the XB500, but I'm worried about the 'muffed sound' comments, I'd rather give away some of the bassness for the clearer sound...isn't that the case with XB700 or?

P.s. no chance to audition them in Bulgaria, so I'm shooting blind =O you know it's not easy
rolleyes.gif

Thanks guys! cheers.

hope our little disscussion helps @abeeb to decide too...

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess? /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd rather give away some of the bassness for the clearer sound...isn't that the case with XB700 or?

Well it's a bit like that yea, especially if you compare them unequalized. Equalized you can get the XB500 sound much clearer but the highs will still be more bright on XB700, they are a lot more present in XB700. I'm a fan of smooth sounding highs like XB500 and AKG K 518 DJ (aka K 81 DJ) because to me it sounds more natural/realistic to me (the voices doesn't sparkle in real-life :p). XB700 isn't really THAT bright/sparkly though, I'd put it on scale of about average to slightly above average. ATH-M50 is slightly more bright and typical Grado's are quite a lot brighter.

The XB500 is more warm/aggressive (think raising +3dB on entire frequency range) in overall sound signature and XB700 more laid-back (compare to -3dB on entire frequency range), the bass on XB500 got a lot more punch & impact that makes XB700 appear to be less bassy (it got less punch & impact than my other headphones HD 212 Pro & AKG K 518 DJ even) but mids sounds pretty much the same on both and both are just as clear or present and full sounding. I don't know how your K242HD sounds like but the the key might be in that I quoted from you, XB700 might be more to your liking. XB500's bass doesn't really overpower the mids either tho but there's a significant difference in the highs.

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 25
muffed sound? I don't think the xb700 have a muffed sound. I'm not sure about the xb500 though, I never experience with them like I mention before.  The bass when volume is turn up loud enough with hip hop/ techno (music with deep bass) you can feel the vibration. It has a good tight and controlled bass even with it's large bass. It's pretty impressive that the bass doesn't drown out too much of the other frequency. I think they sound clear especially with the bass quantity.  I bought the xb700 over the xb500 b/c I figure if I'm going to go for big large bass headphones mind as well go all the way, lol. I still don't regret buying the xb700 over the xb500. they are exactly what I expect, thundering tight bass. highs can be pitchy and bright sometime. Vocals can be on the bright side also...that's why I'm not sure where you heard that they have a muffed sound. I haven't heard them in a month, but I don't recall ever thinking they sound muffed. oh just keep in mind that the higher up you go with the xb series the larger the ear cushion are, but the trade off is that they are soft like leather sofa on your ears. Just don't look at yourself in the mirror hehe. the cushion are huge, no lie. I still can't quit figure out if they are ugly or not...uhmm now I'm thinking about it they're not ugly maybe more silly looking because of the exagerated cushion size. I hope this help, just my opinion based on my experience with them. the xb700 and xb500 are kind of a coin tosser, some choose one and other choose the other.

I'm on the same boat as rpgwizard I like a more natural sounding headphones that are not too foward.

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #14 of 25
He & me was speaking of XB500 not XB700. XB700 is more towards being "unnaturally" clear/bright rather than being too muffled IMO. XB500 is the opposite so pick your preference. :p

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #15 of 25
lol we were both writing reply at the same time. funny. I felt I had to reply since he said "isn't that the case with XB700 or?"

I totally agree with you xb700 with the "unnaturally" clear/bright lol. I'm not sure about M50 being brighter though b/c I like the current M50 b/c it's not as bright as the xb700. right now thats what I like most. It seems to hit me in the right spot for some reason.

alright I won't still your thunder. sorry
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back