Sony MDR-XB500 (refurbs) review
Apr 19, 2011 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tacoboy

500+ Head-Fier
My Sony MDR-XB500 arrived 30 minutes ago, ear pads are mushy and I can feel the heat building up in a short time, they have bass.....mushy bass, I'm just glade I that i did not pay that much for these refurbs.
So, i would declare that the Sony's MDR-XB500s should be nicknamed "The Mushy".

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 10
That was the smallest review i ever seen. 
biggrin.gif

Post some pics of yours. Enjoy!! 

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #3 of 10
Maybe you got a defective Refurb or a fake or a counterfeit one.
Check Amazon.com for one review by someone who bought the same Sony's that looked and felt identical to the real thing..
So that person thought until he tried the real thing at a demo at best buy, and then realized that his are actually fake.
The description to the sound was somewhat similar to what you described, bass and muffled sound, but nothing more.

The real things sound quite better than that. They're not perfect obviously, but the bass is far from mushy. It's actually very deep, thumping and punchy where it needs to be.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Maybe you got a defective Refurb or a fake or a counterfeit one.
Check Amazon.com for one review by someone who bought the same Sony's that looked and felt identical to the real thing..
So that person thought until he tried the real thing at a demo at best buy, and then realized that his are actually fake.
The description to the sound was somewhat similar to what you described, bass and muffled sound, but nothing more.

The real things sound quite better than that. They're not perfect obviously, but the bass is far from mushy. It's actually very deep, thumping and punchy where it needs to be.

I do not think they were counterfeit, why would someone sell counterfeit as "refurbs" when they could get more money selling them by calling them "new".
I also do not think they are defective, nothing to me points to that.
My Sony MDR-XB500s do have deep, thumping and punchy bass, but it's not a quality bass.
Also the vocals on the XB500s are just "off".
I can only say that someone could like the XB500s, if they have never used quality headphones.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 10
"I do not think they were counterfeit, why would someone sell counterfeit as "refurbs" when they could get more money selling them by calling them "new"."

That is definitely something to think about. Actually it's kind of funny now that you mentioned it.
I honestly wasn't all that positive that they were counterfeit or fake, more like 30% - 40% possibility.
But just to play as the devil's advocate here. As for the reason why sell them as refurb rather than new... ? Well, that's the genius of it, isn't it?  Ever watched a Seinfeld episode where a car saleman suckers George into buying some POS oldie La'Baron for a higher price, based on the quote that Jon Voight used to drive it around?  Well turns out that Jon Voight did drive it, but not the actor, rather some local man that the salesman knew. When the question came up as why use Jon Voight as opposed to some higher caliber actor, the response came as 'you see, that's the genius of it'.  So, thinking like a crook here, if one is going to try to pass some fake headphones for sale under refurb with a lower price, it would arise less suspicion than selling a brand new pair for that price or a slightly higher one. Don't you think?  But, I digress, I trust that you know the phones you have better than me, I was merely throwing that possibility out there.

And if they're not defective, then I guess it means that you have just that type of taste for sound, one which makes you deem the MDRXB500 as what you have described them as. 

However, I must confess something here. I actually returned my pair of Sony MDR-XB500 and price matched the Shure SRH240M+ with another store, paid extra $10.00 and was done with it.  Reason is, you won't even believe me if I'd tell you. The headband gave.. Didn't break, but stretched to the size of my head and got stuck there at that point. I went for a couple of hours walk today, and I guess the sun and heat caused this weird thing to happen. Where in normal headphones heat or no heat, once you take them off, they go back to their normal shape.  Not with this case. Could this be a defective pair, maybe. Should I bother with another pair to find out, I'd say no in my case.  After all, I found the Shure SRH240M+ at $50 less than the regular selling price, so I got those instead.

I still think that the Sony's produce a very good sound for their price range, and they carry a deep rich and a punchy bass better than higher ranking headphones, namely the beats by Dr. Dre (which are SOooooo overpriced and overhyped.) Obviously they will sound more muddy (maybe mushy for some) due to how they fell on your ears, and due to the bass everwhelming the overall sound. However, they sound good. I simply didn't have the patience to deal with that stuff.  Further, I also noticed something with Sony headsets. Every pair that  I tried seems to be driving the left channel slightly more prominently than the right. Not sure why this is. I've tried the XD200, and it's the same story. The V500Dj ones, same story, and the same goes for the 500's. It might be me, but where I compare with other brands, like Sennheiser, Grado and even Shure, the sound appears way more balanced.   So that is one downfall that I noticed.

Take it easy.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 10
"I do not think they were counterfeit, why would someone sell counterfeit as "refurbs" when they could get more money selling them by calling them "new"."

That is definitely something to think about. Actually it's kind of funny now that you mentioned it.
I honestly wasn't all that positive that they were counterfeit or fake, more like 30% - 40% possibility.
But just to play as the devil's advocate here. As for the reason why sell them as refurb rather than new... ? Well, that's the genius of it, isn't it?  Ever watched a Seinfeld episode where a car saleman suckers George into buying some POS oldie La'Baron for a higher price, based on the quote that Jon Voight used to drive it around?  Well turns out that Jon Voight did drive it, but not the actor, rather some local man that the salesman knew. When the question came up as why use Jon Voight as opposed to some higher caliber actor, the response came as 'you see, that's the genius of it'.  So, thinking like a crook here, if one is going to try to pass some fake headphones for sale under refurb with a lower price, it would arise less suspicion than selling a brand new pair for that price or a slightly higher one. Don't you think?  But, I digress, I trust that you know the phones you have better than me, I was merely throwing that possibility out there.

And if they're not defective, then I guess it means that you have just that type of taste for sound, one which makes you deem the MDRXB500 as what you have described them as. 

However, I must confess something here. I actually returned my pair of Sony MDR-XB500 and price matched the Shure SRH240M+ with another store, paid extra $10.00 and was done with it.  Reason is, you won't even believe me if I'd tell you. The headband gave.. Didn't break, but stretched to the size of my head and got stuck there at that point. I went for a couple of hours walk today, and I guess the sun and heat caused this weird thing to happen. Where in normal headphones heat or no heat, once you take them off, they go back to their normal shape.  Not with this case. Could this be a defective pair, maybe. Should I bother with another pair to find out, I'd say no in my case.  After all, I found the Shure SRH240M+ at $50 less than the regular selling price, so I got those instead.

I still think that the Sony's produce a very good sound for their price range, and they carry a deep rich and a punchy bass better than higher ranking headphones, namely the beats by Dr. Dre (which are SOooooo overpriced and overhyped.) Obviously they will sound more muddy (maybe mushy for some) due to how they fell on your ears, and due to the bass everwhelming the overall sound. However, they sound good. I simply didn't have the patience to deal with that stuff.  Further, I also noticed something with Sony headsets. Every pair that  I tried seems to be driving the left channel slightly more prominently than the right. Not sure why this is. I've tried the XD200, and it's the same story. The V500Dj ones, same story, and the same goes for the 500's. It might be me, but where I compare with other brands, like Sennheiser, Grado and even Shure, the sound appears way more balanced.   So that is one downfall that I noticed.

But I also think it's unfair to say that anyone who thinks that the 500's sound good, automatically means that they never listened to quality headphones. I assure you that I have, many times. But I also have the notion of objectivity in that regard. For example. I have tried every Sennheiser model from $50 - $150 range and I can guarantee you that the Sony 500's sounded better. And think about it, the Sennheisers are pros at making headphones. Does that mean that Sony is now all of a sudden a better headphone brand? Obviously not, just means that the 'Quality' Sennheiser produces at that budget level is sub-par to their standard. And the question is, is it fair to compare $100 - $150 headphones to a $49 - $69 pair?  Is it fair to compare anything over $150 to a $69 pair?   But just out of curiousity, what would you consider a good pair of headphones at that range?

I can tell you that the Shure SRH240 is one of them, but other than that?

Take it easy.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:

But I also think it's unfair to say that anyone who thinks that the 500's sound good, automatically means that they never listened to quality headphones. I assure you that I have, many times. But I also have the notion of objectivity in that regard. For example. I have tried every Sennheiser model from $50 - $150 range and I can guarantee you that the Sony 500's sounded better. And think about it, the Sennheisers are pros at making headphones. Does that mean that Sony is now all of a sudden a better headphone brand? Obviously not, just means that the 'Quality' Sennheiser produces at that budget level is sub-par to their standard. And the question is, is it fair to compare $100 - $150 headphones to a $49 - $69 pair?  Is it fair to compare anything over $150 to a $69 pair?   But just out of curiousity, what would you consider a good pair of headphones at that range?

I can tell you that the Shure SRH240 is one of them, but other than that?

Take it easy.

My history of headphones, Philips SHP-2500, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, JVC HA-RX900, CALs (Creative Aurvana Live), Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80-Ohm and my current favorite the DT 770 Pro 250-Ohm. Powered by my Asus Xonar DX, Muse 6922EH and Indeed MK2 6922EH single tube headphone amp(s). The JVC HA-RX900s are in the same price range and prefer them over the XB500s. I gave my sister the XB500s and she is fine with them.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 10
lol...i had some xb700's that i gave to my wife...poor thing loves them. i just gave them a quick listen to beck's "lonesome tears". yeah, bass is muddy. everything just sounds muddy. you get used to listening to higher-end cans and you can never go back.

Quote:

My history of headphones, Philips SHP-2500, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, JVC HA-RX900, CALs (Creative Aurvana Live), Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80-Ohm and my current favorite the DT 770 Pro 250-Ohm. Powered by my Asus Xonar DX, Muse 6922EH and Indeed MK2 6922EH single tube headphone amp(s). The JVC HA-RX900s are in the same price range and prefer them over the XB500s. I gave my sister the XB500s and she is fine with them.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Guys, I must reiterate this,
Once you've been listening to some higher fidelity headphones, obviously you don't want to go back to the lower end.
So yeah, that been said, the Sony MDRXB500 produce an entry level sound, simply because they are entry level headphones. In fact, the entire line up of the XB's from the 300's 30mm drivers, and up to the 700's with the 50mm drivers' size.. all could be constituted withing the entry to mid level sound stage. They're no professional headphones, nor are audiophile headphones by any means. They are fun headphones mostly for portable use that sound great without preamping.  The JVCRX900's seem to be the only legit competitor as far as I've seen, less the Shure SRH240.
Though I haven't tried them, reviews do seem promising. However, they do appear somewhat bulky and have a very long cable. 50mm driver is no laughing matter either, but my only concern is the higher impedance rate.. I mean 25 - 40 is perfect for portable use, but anything higher, well you need to preamp to get the full sound out of them.

P.S. I heard rumors of the Sony MDR-XB1000, that apparently are so huge and bassy that it's scary.. 

But for now, I'll stick with my Shure SRH240, they sound pretty good enough for me, and for $59 retail at Bestbuy, I don't think I can ask for more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back