Sony MDR-XB500, JVC HA-RX700 or similar (must have great bass) to upgrade from Sens HD212Pro. Will be using Fiio E06 and E11
Jan 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shaolin95

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All!

So I want some headphones for work, so they must be sealed and I have Sens HD212Pro but I want something better. I like a tight fit and great bass...but as balanced as possible as well.
I really want to go with the Sony 500 but I also read about the JVC.
I am open to others as well as long as they are less than 100 (dont mind buying used) the cheaper the better. 
Thanks!

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 6
No recommendations ? I want big bass but not just bass and totally unbalanced of course.
BTW, I am really enjoying the FiiO e6!

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Looks like those have great bass although it seems nothing matches the XB500s right?
I will be listening to classical too so maybe the 500 will be too unbalanced for those? Or maybe it is something I can tweak with an equalizer.
I also noticed some people comparing the XB500 to an impressively cheap Panasonic Rp-htf600-s.   What do you guys think?

PS the Panasonic wont do it as I just read it has a ton of leakage and this is to use a t work. :/

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 6
I own the JVC's and Sony's. The JVC's sound better overall, and have a more mid-bass punch to them. The XB-500's have gobs of bass and sub-bass for sure, but the mids and hi's will need some EQ-ing imho. If you're not afraid to EQ both work very well. The JVC's are bigger, tougher built but less comfortable. The XB-500's are lighter and more comfy, but have a shorter and chincy cable. I am not familiar with the Sens HD212.

But if you want mostly bass...the XB500's. If you want more overall sound, do the HARX700 imho. Either are true closed, the JVC has a ring port and the XB-500 have small bass ports so both will leak a little but neither is all that bad. As an owner of both they get used by the family while I have moved up to my Hifiman HE-400's and I also havce some Denon D2000 (If you want bass and great sound from a super comfy and easy to drive pair of headphones...these are it imho. Just be careful of the hinges!). I prefer my HE-400's but I realize that's way out of budget for most...and still question how I spent so much sometimes! But then I hear them and with the D2000 earpads they sound amazing! They don't have the gobs of bass the XB-500's or D2000's can produce, but the range is there, it's very present and it all works together so well.

But going to your choices, it just depends on what you want and what you can or can't deal with. There are a lot of options out there, but I will say the two you have chosen are decent choices if you want a pure bass experience, and not necessarily clean bass just quanitity...the XB-500's are your choice. Them and the 700's can be EQ'd to sound pretty good overall depending on what you're seeking. Grab a pair and enjoy! :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Looks like I cant go wrong then and just some EQing can make it fit my needs at the end.
Thanks a lot for the detailed response! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back